L129 Build - Thinking about going for a SR-25

B.S
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, As People pointed out a M4 is not a even close base for a L129 build, and the more I look at it the more I don't feel content getting an M4, So I'm now looking at Cheapish SR-25s, My budged is £300 max, preferably less. If I can't find a Cheap base that has Good compatibility with replacement parts, Then I'm just going to go with an M4 styled to look L129ish, Not a Build. I'm not gonna list points or anything like that - I just want some opinions and ideas, I wouldn't worry about it at all but I'm getting my first AEG at my next game so It might help if I know what it's going to be! XD

Okay - Ignore me, Just had an enlightening conversation at my local shop, going for a G&G M4 again XD

You'd be better off doing a L119A1 build with an M4. L129A1 won't look right at all and if you're going to spend money trying to do a L129A1 build for it to not look right at the end you will only want to start again anyway?

• Root Admin

Don't worry, we've told him this already. I can't find those posts so maybe the thread was deleted?

I think he means he's scrapping the whole L129 idea and just going with a regular M4. If he is going to try and make an L129 out of an M4 then he's been properly warned and will be sorely disappointed. All of the AR 7.62 and 5.56 receivers look really, really different so it's never going to come close.

I'm again wondering why you're getting so hung up on externals, B.S. You should really just be getting something that performs alright and something that you can fall back on if your second big purchase turns out to be a flop. You don't really want a project gun right out of the gate, and if it's something as flawed as trying to make an M4 look like an L129? Well, you had might as well buy an AK for all it'd matter.

I know you keep saying 'I just want it styled like one' but the only difference I could see between an SR-25 and the LMT L129A1 that you could replicate accurately in airsoft would be the rail (which you will not have the budget to easily change) and the muzzle break (if we're excluding the tan bits and bobs that you can put - and do indeed see - on almost any M4). Then it's just a case of the folding grip and a 6x ACOG I suppose. Basically what you're going to end up with is an M4 with some tan rail covers, tan crane stock, tan grip and a folding foregrip.

If that's what makes an M4 an L129 then I guess my M249 is 70% of an L129 as well so maybe we can exchange tips. The shape of the receiver is far and away the most distinctive difference between the two, and that is not something you can just change easily.

By all means spend your money how you like of course. I just know you're on a budget and don't want to see you potentially wasting money out of the gate on something you'll regret down the line. There's plenty of time to get fiddling with externals later on, but I'm just not sure if your budget could stretch that far immediately. With £300 you could buy a potentially very good mid-level AEG, but you're now having to set aside some of that for the sake of appearances and settling for a very basic G&G M4? I dunno if that's a good idea for someone buying their first gat.

Is it because you're doing a British Army MTP Loadout that you want to make an L129A1? or Do you specifically want a DMR style rifle? or is it just because you like the L129A1?

Is it because you're doing a British Army MTP Loadout that you want to make an L129A1? or Do you specifically want a DMR style rifle? or is it just because you like the L129A1?

Just because I have MTP, Don't want to go immediately for an L85, and the L129 looked nice. Don't worry I've been Shown the error in my ways.

Don't worry, we've told him this already. I can't find those posts so maybe the thread was deleted?

I think he means he's scrapping the whole L129 idea and just going with a regular M4. If he is going to try and make an L129 out of an M4 then he's been properly warned and will be sorely disappointed. All of the AR 7.62 and 5.56 receivers look really, really different so it's never going to come close.

I'm again wondering why you're getting so hung up on externals, B.S. You should really just be getting something that performs alright and something that you can fall back on if your second big purchase turns out to be a flop. You don't really want a project gun right out of the gate, and if it's something as flawed as trying to make an M4 look like an L129? Well, you had might as well buy an AK for all it'd matter.

I know you keep saying 'I just want it styled like one' but the only difference I could see between an SR-25 and the LMT L129A1 that you could replicate accurately in airsoft would be the rail (which you will not have the budget to easily change) and the muzzle break (if we're excluding the tan bits and bobs that you can put - and do indeed see - on almost any M4). Then it's just a case of the folding grip and a 6x ACOG I suppose. Basically what you're going to end up with is an M4 with some tan rail covers, tan crane stock, tan grip and a folding foregrip.

If that's what makes an M4 an L129 then I guess my M249 is 70% of an L129 as well so maybe we can exchange tips. The shape of the receiver is far and away the most distinctive difference between the two, and that is not something you can just change easily.

By all means spend your money how you like of course. I just know you're on a budget and don't want to see you potentially wasting money out of the gate on something you'll regret down the line. There's plenty of time to get fiddling with externals later on, but I'm just not sure if your budget could stretch that far immediately. With £300 you could buy a potentially very good mid-level AEG, but you're now having to set aside some of that for the sake of appearances and settling for a very basic G&G M4? I dunno if that's a good idea for someone buying their first gat.

As soon as I learnt the L129 isn't based on a M4 I decided not to try and make one look like it. Hence why I was looking at an A&K SR25, But I just got carried away looking at the A&K SR25, And made a thread about it but I just got back from my local shop where I learnt what DMR really means - I just thought it literally meant someone picked to be a sniper, not something specific to the gun. since the SR25 isn't a Normal rifle, and I'd have to have an MED, I'm not going for a L129 anymore. Thing is with Airsoft is while people will tell you to play before you get kit, and Just get a normal M4, don't go for a Build etc etc, You've just gotta learn for yourself. It's good advice, but only a Mistake can teach you a lesson. I'm just glad I bothered to do so much research, and learned all this through advice, a hour and a half chat with a guy at my local shop, and Looking at guns, before I bought anything.

Overall - I'm glad I went all out on kit. I think it wouldn't work for some people, But I've almost got all I need to actually play without the need for more kit at some point, and I certainly look the part, Other bits for my osprey etc I can just pick up every month or so, But with the Gun I've decided not to go for a build. Your right, it's best to just have a gun that'll always work in the long run, and one that you can mod to look how you like short term. I've decided on a CM18 Mod1, all this research into L129s has made the Beige two tone grow on me, I feel content that this is my final decision in this Fiasco, And I'm glad that I spent so long making sure I got the right thing, and not just gone for the first SA80 on the left. And as far as mods go, I think a VN style mag, and a Cheap red dot will do me fine for a long time. Thanks for all the advice, Even if I didn't listen to a word to begin with! XD

Just because I have MTP, Don't want to go immediately for an L85, and the L129 looked nice. Don't worry I've been Shown the error in my ways.

As soon as I learnt the L129 isn't based on a M4 I decided not to try and make one look like it. Hence why I was looking at an A&K SR25, But I just got carried away looking at the A&K SR25, And made a thread about it but I just got back from my local shop where I learnt what DMR really means - I just thought it literally meant someone picked to be a sniper, not something specific to the gun. since the SR25 isn't a Normal rifle, and I'd have to have an MED, I'm not going for a L129 anymore. Thing is with Airsoft is while people will tell you to play before you get kit, and Just get a normal M4, don't go for a Build etc etc, You've just gotta learn for yourself. It's good advice, but only a Mistake can teach you a lesson. I'm just glad I bothered to do so much research, and learned all this through advice, a hour and a half chat with a guy at my local shop, and Looking at guns, before I bought anything.

Overall - I'm glad I went all out on kit. I think it wouldn't work for some people, But I've almost got all I need to actually play without the need for more kit at some point, and I certainly look the part, Other bits for my osprey etc I can just pick up every month or so, But with the Gun I've decided not to go for a build. Your right, it's best to just have a gun that'll always work in the long run, and one that you can mod to look how you like short term. I've decided on a CM18 Mod1, all this research into L129s has made the Beige two tone grow on me, I feel content that this is my final decision in this Fiasco, And I'm glad that I spent so long making sure I got the right thing, and not just gone for the first SA80 on the left. And as far as mods go, I think a VN style mag, and a Cheap red dot will do me fine for a long time. Thanks for all the advice, Even if I didn't listen to a word to begin with! XD

You could run it at your usual aeg site limit as a normal aeg instead of a dmr with engagement distances.

You could run it at your usual aeg site limit as a normal aeg instead of a dmr with engagement distances.

Yeah, I did consider that, But it's a little out of my Budget anyway... Basically My dad decided he would buy me a gun now, to save on rental money. I still have to pay, but over time instead.

I think I'll perhaps just add that to my potential builds list.

Archived