Platform for Designated Marksman Rifle Build

Ben Savage
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After a while of airsofting, I've decided that I need to learn how the mechanics of the guns work, and how upgrading Electric Guns works. I don't have a very wide knowledge of the internals of the guns, but I plan on figuring it out on the way. I've decided to do it a way that I would find more interesting than just watching videos without doing anything, so I plan on making a fairly average performing DMR or AEG in to a high performance DMR, and watching videos as I go along to help with understanding it all.

First of all though, I'll need to decide on a base rifle to turn in to the DMR. I've been looking at different SR-25s, M4s and M16s, but again, I don't currently have the understanding to know what to need as a base. Ideally the base gun would take standard M4 mags (Yes I know the SR-25 doesn't), but it doesn't have to.

If anyone could help me decide on the platform for the project, and also a few tips for a complete beginner, that would be most helpful.

A good cheap starting point would be a CYMA M14. You can get one from Taiwangun.com for about £100 and CYMA have a good reputation for hopup units. M14's are apparently quite easy to work on.

I got an Ares G36 from a mate for £80,which had knackered gearbox and the hop up was crumbled inside (gun was only used about 3 times) (I found some really large bb's inside :o, so replaced the hop unit, sorted gearbox out (just maintenance wise) watched a few vids and read on sniper forums on DMR setup/tweaking, so I did a few mods like PTFE in cylinder head, shaved some gears from piston etc.. and a few other bits, I put a top rail on the gun and got a sniper scope for it for £30. basically it's still stock parts just lubed and tweaked a wee bit firing between 420 & 425 fps :D, next step is MOSFET so I can disable full auto and maybe use burst mode, also need a bipod. but overall very happy with the gun for what I spent on it. I did it just to try a DMR out, it's not skirmished yet but my back garden has about 3000 bb's in it after 2 days of getting it running :ph34r:.

Would also like to try a M4 platform so keep us posted on how you get on, if ya do. sorry I cant help with advice on the M4 platform as I've not done one yet. But for yourself there are tons of forum posts all over the net helping with DMR setups.

If your budget is over £500, might just skip gearboxes and get HPA, if you don't mind the tank.

I am interested in setting up a HPA SCAR, but the reason I'm doing this in the first place is to get used to the internals of an AEG.

M14's are apparently quite easy to work on.

HahahahaNo.

While they're hardly the most complicated one out there, they're certainly a lot more hassle than An M16, AK etc.

Just changing the barrel or Hop involves an almost complete strip Down.

I love M14s but after the PITA of working on them they're one of the few types I won't ever buy again.

It's not that they're difficult exactly; just that doing almost anything on them is a long winded hassle compared to most other AEGs

Lol, that was also on my list, an HPA Scar H (VFC) setup, so I tried it with the G36 to learn my way around them first (AEG), it's quite tricky at first, but a few vids later it becomes easier.. especially when your gears or anti rotation pops out of place when putting the GB chasis back together, and then once its all together, to then discover you forgot to install the spring.. DOH! :unsure:

One thing I did find with the SCAR was after a couple of hours using it, I could barely hold it up, it got pretty heavy! But I suppose the SCAR L is better for weight. I am definitely going to get myself a SCAR in the future, they look absolutely badass.

SR25 with the long type V2 box, that way you have additional compressible volume for better muzzle energy efficiency with heavier weights,

The HPA option really isn't for everyone, unless you like lugging around hoses and tanks.

I am interested in setting up a HPA SCAR, but the reason I'm doing this in the first place is to get used to the internals of an AEG.

I wanted to do a HPA scar, but I found out last year that a certain Airsoft HPA company does not recommend VFC scars because they need internal moding to take good aftermarket M4 hop units.

Archived