Cannis latrans mod idea

Bottledtorment
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a Cannis latrans clone PVS14 "night vision" monocular which runs off 2 AA batteries. Although it works well I find that I often only get around 2 hours use out of a fresh set of batteries.

I am wondering if it is possible to try and rig up an external battery pack (think USB style like some gopros)to run to the counterweight pouch.

I'm confident with a soldering iron but not so confident on the theory side of it all.

I'd rather ask you guys before potentially breaking my monocular

two AA batteries means 3V.

Simplest way is to solder a positive and negative from a two core wire to the battery holder in the sight, drill a small hole to run the cable out and then connect it to remote 3V battery in a counterweight pouch.

• Supporters

7803 volt regulator couple of capacitors

But tbh look on eBay for a little mini PCB ready to go

Must be loads of drop down voltage circuits ready to go for raspberry or arduino stuff as I think they can work with 5v but a lot of IC chips run on 3.3v blah blah blah

Check what milliamperes req blah blah blah

The range of input voltage often up to 18v input or more

So should be easy to tap into ya guns battery

But yeah, check out a 3 or 3.3v board already built

Coz time you mess about you can get something for about £2 ready to go

Maybe a variable one but can be messing about tweaking it to exact req - think a dedicated PCB will be tiny and more compact to chuck in there

either wire more AA batteries remotely in series parallel to get 3V with more capacity or use a 6V sealed battery and a DC-DC CONVERTER to output 3V. If two AA batteries gives you 2 hours, it might be worth using 6 to triple the capacity.

I use a rechargeable secondary cell 12V battery to drive a remote camera using much the same principle although that uses USB as the camera has internal circuitry to handle 5V USB.

Archived