Airsoft sniper for target shooting with 8 year old son?

fatmarley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Aye, but if you can hit a window you could just as easily hit a person. :(

Exactly - I'm not prepared to take any risks, however small they are.

Think I'll also knock on next door to explain that my son will be firing plastic ball bearings in the garden and will emphasis the point that these plastic BBs can't break the skin.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly - I'm not prepared to take any risks, however small they are.

Think I'll also knock on next door to explain that my son will be firing plastic ball bearings in the garden and will emphasis the point that these plastic BBs can't break the skin.

Might leave out the word bearings. Bearings are scary (and heavy), either way, when you do go, take some BBs with you.

Hang on a sec, not a page down we have a topic about a child losing his eye in a accident with an airsoft sniper rifle.

You say your not taking risks but you really really are.

Giving any type of firing gun to a child is a risk. That's a fact.

Shooting in an area that is likely the BB will leave your boundary is not just a risk but illegal.

You keep mentioning g 8m, is that your maximum range? If so that's a huge ricochet risk with plastic bbs.

The more you talk, the more this setup sounds incredibly dodgy.

Don't be naive, at <10m a 450fps rifle will break skin.

• Root Admin

I think that's why we're encouraging the use of a fabric backdrop - metal will ricochet, but tarpaulin or just a towel won't. You're right though - ricochets will happen with anything that doesn't have some elasticity to it.

Hang on a sec, not a page down we have a topic about a child losing his eye in a accident with an airsoft sniper rifle.

You say your not taking risks but you really really are.

Giving any type of firing gun to a child is a risk. That's a fact.

Shooting in an area that is likely the BB will leave your boundary is not just a risk but illegal.

You keep mentioning g 8m, is that your maximum range? If so that's a huge ricochet risk with plastic bbs.

The more you talk, the more this setup sounds incredibly dodgy.

Don't be naive, at <10m a 450fps rifle will break skin.

He'll be supervised by me at all times and will wear safety goggles at all times.

I'm going to fit bipods to the rifle and will only allow him to use it on the floor. That way he wont be able to accidentally fire it over the 6ft fence.

The BB wont be able to ricochet because the backdrop will be old carpet or something. I was only going to put some metal mesh above the fence as an extra precaution that probably wont be needed, but will give piece of mind.

I didn't realise a BB could break the skin at that distance. Guess I wont be able to tell the neighbour that then.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not happy about the whole idea (shooting in the garden).

I've found a local shooting range and I've decided to book him in for a session or two to see if he likes it. If he does, I'll buy him an air rifle and use the shooting range.

This is the gun I'll probably get - LINK

At his age, a nerf gun will be just as much fun and a lot safer.

I bought the smallest nerf gun for a four year old after I allowed her to pull the trigger on my GBB pistol (I was holding the gun) - didn't tell her parents that. /irresponsible.

But, I've been teaching her not to shoot people with the nerf gun - until she is old enough to appreciate that people don't like being shot in the face.

Nerf guns are great and will easily hit 8 metres.

• Supporters

The more I think about it, the more I'm not happy about the whole idea (shooting in the garden).

I've found a local shooting range and I've decided to book him in for a session or two to see if he likes it. If he does, I'll buy him an air rifle and use the shooting range.

This is the gun I'll probably get - LINK

This is definitely a more sensible option, even an average shooter will quickly find their skill outstrips the capability of an airsoft gun for target shooting.

They're designed to shoot people for fun, round projectiles have never been known for their consistent ballistics! If you're interested just in shooting targets then an air rifle will provide a much greater scope for your son to learn.

Archived