Airsoft sniper for target shooting with 8 year old son?

fatmarley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Two tone airsoft rifle + affordable scope + targets + copious BBs + PPE = plenty of affordable and pretty safe fun.

Father and son bonding with above in garden = priceless.

My two cents - go airsoft over air-rifle.

:)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Root Admin

If you're spending £40 on a scope then Visionking have their cheapest one up for £40 delivered: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Visionking-3-9x40-Rifle-scope-Riflescopes-for-Target-Shooting-Hunting-Military-1-inch-for-Ar15-M16/405045_32531607996.html

Much better clarity than anything you can buy at that price point here. Could buy some 25.4mm scope mounts (get fairly tall ones) from AliExpress for £5 as well.

Dont know if it helps but my fixed 4x32 is fine for that range. You can down to 3x so you should be OK

• Head Moderator

At 8m distance you can just use an iron sight, 25' is not very far. If you do want magnification then a VisonKing scope is a good & cheap option with a clear optics.

• Root Admin

Search for '25.4mm 20mm ris scope rings' - any will do, but you need two. Avoid ones that say 'dovetail' or are 11mm RIS (instead of the 20mm RIS).

These would work (I'd go for something high like these for ease of use): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-set-25-4mm-High-QD-Scope-Flashlight-Ring-Mount-20mm-RIS-Rail-Adjustable-Tactical-Flashlight/32664829185.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10037_10017_10021_507_10022_10032_10009_10020_10008_10018_10019_101,searchweb201603_9&btsid=4f7fa936-b783-49a9-aeae-a2628b9da9d4

At close range it wont really matter .20 are quite common. When going for bigger distances you'll want heavier bb's .25 and heavier. In terms of brand I used 3kgs of .2 bb kings with no issue bought through e-bay.

• Root Admin

At close range it wont really matter .20 are quite common. When going for bigger distances you'll want heavier bb's .25 and heavier. In terms of brand I used 3kgs of .2 bb kings with no issue bought through e-bay.

I'm not sure I'd agree. Even a stock Well MB02 will lift .30g and BB King are extremely naff BBs.

I'd still recommend a good, consistent .36g to OP. Possibly Geoffs? They seem to be good right now. I'll PM you, Fatmarley.

i personally have had experiance with this gun (mb02) ive just sold mine otherwise i would have given it to you! i would defently recomend it for target shooting ps im 13 it would be perfect size for an 8 year old the other gun is pretty big

I'm not sure I'd agree. Even a stock Well MB02 will lift .30g and BB King are extremely naff BBs.

I'd still recommend a good, consistent .36g to OP. Possibly Geoffs? They seem to be good right now. I'll PM you, Fatmarley.

PM replied to.

i personally have had experiance with this gun (mb02) ive just sold mine otherwise i would have given it to you! i would defently recomend it for target shooting ps im 13 it would be perfect size for an 8 year old the other gun is pretty big

There is a house opposite with a 1st floor window that is visible above our 6ft fence. Unfortunately that is the direction we will have to aim, so I was going to buy a bipod and only allow my son to use the gun when it's on the floor. That way he wont be possible to shoot next doors window. Point being, the gun size shouldn't matter if it's being used on the floor. Or would it?

Only really thought about next doors window this morning and it is worrying me a bit. May have to build some framework that projects up over our shed to give me piece of mind. The last thing I want to do is fall out with the neighbors.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of clear mesh that can stop a bb?

Is this for stopping BBs? Even a hanging towel will do that :)

Yes it's for stopping BBs. I want to build a frame and cover it with something permanent but I want it to be see through if possible, so as not to block out light or look ugly.

The framework below the fence line can be anything just to stop ricochets (probably old carpet) but above it would probably look better if it was some kind of mesh.

May have to take a trip to Wickes to see if this would be any good - Metal lath

BBs will bounce back from that. Towel or something similar should work. It has to be able to bend so it catches the BB instead of bouncing it back.

I'm not too worried about them bouncing back because the chances of it getting shot would be slim. It's only a safety precaution to stop BBs hitting next doors window (I'd rather they bounced back than hit next doors window). Also, I'd fix it loosely to the framework to try and minimize ricochet.

I would be astonished if a 0.2g bb would damage a double glazed window. Certainly all the juvenile mini-skirmishes my parent's garden hosted over the years didn't see any window damage caused to the house, although we were mostly using 0.12g bbs...

I would be astonished if a 0.2g bb would damage a double glazed window. Certainly all the juvenile mini-skirmishes my parent's garden hosted over the years didn't see any window damage caused to the house, although we were mostly using 0.12g bbs...

Aye, but if you can hit a window you could just as easily hit a person. :(

Archived