Airsoft sniper for target shooting with 8 year old son?

fatmarley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to buy my son an airsoft rifle for target practice in the garden. He's visually impaired and struggles to see detail at distances, so I think a scope would be a must, even at the short range we would be firing from (8mtrs 26ft).

Safety is paramount, so I've already got two pairs of mesh goggles and will cover the back wall with carpet or something to stop ricochets.

This is the gun I was thinking about (Well MB02) but if any of you have a better idea I'm all ears? (he really wants a sniper rifle and I don't want to disappoint him)

This is the scope I was thinking about (VERY100)

Any positive advice would gratefully received.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I would recommend clear goggles or glasses. Mesh goggles restrict vision.

The gun will be okay for that short range. You can get a similar one from taiwangun.com for much less. They offer two-toning for £5 I think. You might consider buying an extra mag too.

Scope is also OK for this purpose. Not great, but it will serve.

I've got a young son who I supervise whilst on my back garden 'range'. Added a laser which is zeroed in with the cross hairs at about 70feet, Allows me to see where the gun is pointing too, this is on a 345 fps AEG.

Target wise ive got a old dust bin lined with a carpet, zero ricochets and holds all the BB for easy disposal.

I would recommend clear goggles or glasses. Mesh goggles restrict vision.

The gun will be okay for that short range. You can get a similar one from taiwangun.com for much less. They offer two-toning for £5 I think. You might consider buying an extra mag too.

Scope is also OK for this purpose. Not great, but it will serve.

Ok I'll take a look a clear goggles.

Is two-tone a legal requirement?

Good to hear the scope is ok. If anyone can think of a better option I'm all ears.

I've got a young son who I supervise whilst on my back garden 'range'. Added a laser which is zeroed in with the cross hairs at about 70feet, Allows me to see where the gun is pointing too, this is on a 345 fps AEG.

Target wise ive got a old dust bin lined with a carpet, zero ricochets and holds all the BB for easy disposal.

An old bin sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of getting biodegradable bbs.

gun-http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/cyma-cm701b-vsr-bar-10-flat-black.htm#.V0MZWMffBSU

scope-http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-sights-scopes/3-9x40aoe-illuminated-parallax-scope-w-mounts---black.htm#.V0MZpsffBSU

much nicer quality gun, won't let you down. and endless amount of upgrades if you get into it. can probably find the scope cheaper on amazon or eBay.

you can buy CMYA or JG bar10's on taiwangun for 70 quid, but they're a Poland based company so you need a UKARA to order from them safely. But patrol base will two tone it for you

Honestly, get an air rifle.

Airsoft sniper rifles are expensive, inaccurate and just poorly built.

A Chinese b2 is much better value to teach a child to shoot and safe gun use. And a bit cheaper, with less hoops to jump through.

Unless you play 3 games in 3months, and get signed off by an insured site...you won't be able to get UKARA (in a nutshell)

Without UKARA you can still buy the intended rifle(s) but you'll need to have them 2-Toned.

If it's just for Garden Plinking, there's no harm in it being 2T.

As for Biodegradeable BB's...although they *do* rot down, it takes such a long time (looking at YEARS) there's not much point to it.

Some sites require Bio-BBs, but you'd be better off with a broom 😃

• Supporters

I was wrong. Gunfire.pl offers two-toning cheap:

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152211293-Painting-Servico-de-pintura-make-the-airsoft-gun-meet-your-local-law-requirements.html

You won't need UKARA for this.

Get this: http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152200730-MB06A-sniper-rifle-replica.html

I have one and it's really not bad out of the box.

IMO for 8m you don't need an airgun that is potentially more dangerous.

Honestly, get an air rifle.

Airsoft sniper rifles are expensive, inaccurate and just poorly built.

A Chinese b2 is much better value to teach a child to shoot and safe gun use. And a bit cheaper, with less hoops to jump through.

I was thinking about the SMK 15 Junior rifle but thought an airsoft gun would be safer.

Unless you play 3 games in 3months, and get signed off by an insured site...you won't be able to get UKARA (in a nutshell)

Without UKARA you can still buy the intended rifle(s) but you'll need to have them 2-Toned.

If it's just for Garden Plinking, there's no harm in it being 2T.

As for Biodegradeable BB's...although they *do* rot down, it takes such a long time (looking at YEARS) there's not much point to it.

Some sites require Bio-BBs, but you'd be better off with a broom

Two-tone and a broom then :)

I was wrong. Gunfire.pl offers two-toning cheap:

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152211293-Painting-Servico-de-pintura-make-the-airsoft-gun-meet-your-local-law-requirements.html

You won't need UKARA for this.

Get this: http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152200730-MB06A-sniper-rifle-replica.html

I have one and it's really not bad out of the box.

IMO for 8m you don't need an airgun that is potentially more dangerous.

The adjustable stock would come in handy for my boy and I'm sure he'd like the look of it.

Safer? Every gun is safe, the weakest link is the user.

But which, in normal operation, has the greatest potential for harm?

Like comparing a cat or a tiger, both will strike you if you annoy them.

i would take a ricochet from a airsoft rifle over a air rifle anyday

P.s i have took a air rifle ricochet...left a tennis ball size bruise on my back..that was after it hit two walls

Neither, with proper and safe use ricochet can pretty much be mitigated entirely. You are much more likely to get a ricochet from an airsoft rifle.

A good metal and angled pellet catcher and a 1/2 inch chip board will stop any legal powe air rifle ricochet, The lead deforms on impact.

Yes but if the user is 8 years old surely we already know that is the weak link and you want to mitigate that risk with a gun with a lower capacity for harm. By the logic above he can have anything just give him a .50 cal, afterall its the user not the gun.

Don't buy an air rifle.

In the event you screw up like for example... maybe you point the gun down and accidently pull the trigger on your foot, would you like a slightly bruised foot? Or a mashed foot?

Yes but if the user is 8 years old surely we already know that is the weak link and you want to mitigate that risk with a gun with a lower capacity for harm. By the logic above he can have anything just give him a .50 cal, afterall its the user not the gun.

agreed, its like give a 16 year old a 200bhp Ducati rather than a 50cc Scooter. on the Ducati they will be dead in a couple minutes.

Sure its the operator in control, but one is more deadly than the other

Two tone airsoft rifle + affordable scope + targets + copious BBs + PPE = plenty of affordable and pretty safe fun.

Father and son bonding with above in garden = priceless.

My two cents - go airsoft over air-rifle.

Two tone airsoft rifle + affordable scope + targets + copious BBs + PPE = plenty of affordable and pretty safe fun.

Father and son bonding with above in garden = priceless.

My two cents - go airsoft over air-rifle.

Think I'm going to go with the Well MB06A and the AMC 3-9x40AOE Scope.

Am I right in thinking that there is a minimum focus distance on scopes? Just hope the AMC will be ok at 8mtrs?

Archived