Rifs at car boot

lesmarsh1983
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK so last weekend I went to the local car boot to sell some of my kids old toys and directly across was a guy selling rifs to any one who had the cash kids adults anyone when I politely asked him why he thought it was a good idea to sell gas pistol to some one that looked about 12 his response was and I quote my fucking gear I can do what I like . Now I know it harder to sell you gear now Facebook have banned sales but off loading kit at a car boot . What is everyone's views on this ?

OK so last weekend I went to the local car boot to sell some of my kids old toys and directly across was a guy selling rifs to any one who had the cash kids adults anyone when I politely asked him why he thought it was a good idea to sell gas pistol to some one that looked about 12 his response was and I quote my f*cking gear I can do what I like . Now I know it harder to sell you gear now Facebook have banned sales but off loading kit at a car boot . What is everyone's views on this ?

Well, he's not wrong - whether it is legal or otherwise, the bible squad I had round last week told me all about the free will God gave us...

Was the carboot ran by a fairly established and organised thing, or was it one of those just a bunch of cars in a field with seemingly no organisation?

Bad. My view is that it's bad.

I'm surprised no-one alerted the police. Even without selling them, displaying them in public is still a breach of the VCRA, no?

Well, he's not wrong - whether it is legal or otherwise, the bible squad I had round last week told me all about the free will God gave us...

Was the carboot ran by a fairly established and organised thing, or was it one of those just a bunch of cars in a field with seemingly no organisation?

It's an organised event with fairly strict rules but no one's ever sold them there so there has never been a need to have a rule about rifs

It's pricks like that who are going to ruin our sport and our little community for everyone who treats the law and the morals behind owning this stuff with respect.

That said, was he selling owt decent? hahahaha :)

• Supporters

The amount of ill informed shit I've heard from firearms officers over the years... Just so we're clear, the VCRA is not firearms law, armed officers and firearms officers do not receive any training on it.

It's a bit 50/50 (people, not the law), many children's toys are RIFs, I suspect someone has arbitrarily, outside of legislation decided that 1J is going to be the difference between "for a child" and everything else.

gov.uk/guidance/toy-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities - well, no toy guns anyway.

Firearms officer for Essex county when he was in my place of work

Under 1J and they can be sold as a toy to anyone over the age of 14, but heck what does he know...

Not if the power was under 1J and he is above 14

Wait a minute, the law really isn't really that concerned about power is it!? I thought the point of RIFs and Tow-Tones is that you MUST be 18 or over to buy a two-toned rifle, and you MUST sell a non-two tone (RIF) to someone who presents a valid defense, the point being that you're not going to go and rob the corner shop down the road with it!

Guest PT247

you have to be over 18 to buy an IF. You are not allowed to sell a RIF to someone without a defence.

Wait a minute, the law really isn't really that concerned about power is it!? I thought the point of RIFs and Tow-Tones is that you MUST be 18 or over to buy a two-toned rifle, and you MUST sell a non-two tone (RIF) to someone who presents a valid defense, the point being that you're not going to go and rob the corner shop down the road with it!

That's a separate issue entirely, I believe it's rooted in "obviously designed as a child's toy" line of thinking, though as Jcheeseright said, RIF is still a RIF, but subjectively, a child's toy, which IS a RIF, may not be a RIF in the eyes of someone looking at it if due to some particular factor, which when accepted, means it was obviously designed to be.....

An example, would be a very low muzzle force. That has no bearing on whether it is a VCRA RIF, but but but I CBA anymore.

Guest PT247

a RIF as already stated does not even need to be able to fire a thing, muzzle energy is utterly irrelevant!

a RIF as already stated does not even need to be able to fire a thing, muzzle energy is utterly irrelevant!

Not when grandfathered in. That's a cheap shot (also entirely irrelevant to the discussion), but it's the best i've got. :P

Guest PT247

not quite sure what you mean so will just nod and smile and try and look clever enough to get the joke! :D

Archived