Quick physics Archimedes ship question

Mos
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Got a physics project to do, where we make an experiment/model to prove a law, or explain some physics.

I was going to do the "How the hell does a ship float" topic, instead of the simple "how2makeNuclearBombFromaDustbin" Topic.

Quick question on it, is a boat will float if the mass that displaces the water is lower than the water that is displaced.

So a little pebble will sink. As the mass is heavier than what it displaces in water. Though a boat won't sink because the mass that displaces water is less heavy than the water displaced.

Is will a question a still a question if the grammar is erroneous?

Besides boats are a terrible choice of example for a science experiment as you have to take into account "air" from the hollowness and the Keel, whereas you don't if you just look at stuff-wot-floats.

EDIT:

Sitting Duck is right, I am sorry.

Still, surely there are better places to cheat on your homework? :)

• Supporters

Ohh leave off ffs....

Had one of my kids struggling with some electronics n stuff

ok lets have a look thinking I might be able to shed some light on it - hehe get it, light/electronics - ahem....

f*ck me.....

work out the:

resistor superposition, nodal voltage and some loop current bollox

My answer about electronics is as follows:

Turn on - it works = great stuff

If not run a list of diagnostic checks in a methodical and logical order to arrive at the final conclusion....

IT IS F*CKED M8

yeah I don't think they will use my own personal theory or answer but that is what I roll with

I understand a bit but I fully understand and know my own limits or I know what I don't know

jeeez - sod studying all over again

Why not do the Magnus effect

That would be qiute airaoft related, and actually rather interesting, just not sure what subject it ties in with (in physics)

That would be qiute airaoft related, and actually rather interesting, just not sure what subject it ties in with (in physics)

do something on the effect of velocity in relation to b weight. thats a real easy equation to prove

Don't do magnus effect with airsoft for physics - it's almost impossible to find a relationship between bb lift and velocity or mass etc because you will not be able measure it (lift height, angular velocity, period, etc.). How do I know? Because i've tried it for my physics. May work with a high speed camera but no schools have good enough high speed cams but even then there will be huge inconsistencies and stuff you cannot physically measure.

If you're doing high level physics, an option could be to do an experiment on the resistivity coefficient of copper by using a metre bridge. It's not a hard experiment to set up but it takes some understanding to execute.

Archived