On Site Chronoing

GeneralKimbo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

All sites should chrono ALL guns or how the f*ck does site know for reasonable assurance guns are within limits

Relying on owners say so is risky if not bollox imho

I would totally expect to have my gun chrono'd each skirmish or even twice a day (one morning & after lunch)

Besides - not everybody has a chrono and if something starts to drop to say under 290-300 then it is a good thing to check fps etc....

Sadly not all sites enforce they chrono all guns and if ar$eholes wish to cheat chrono or run hot guns then its likely they will attend sites like these

Don't get me wrong - you can still get around chrono and run slightly hotter guns but is a bit more sneaky/risky to do and in general these players are just complete w@nkers that try that $hit

Anyway - yes any site who values their safety and their customers safety SHOULD chrono every gun - no exception to anybody

Even regulars who attend every week - heck even marshal's side arm etc....

In my book you lead by example and so all guns get chrono'd

otherwise you leave yourself wide open so to speak

if site doesn't chrono then it goes way down in my book regardless who runs it or how good it is

Epsom didn't often chrono but underground with flourescent lighting it can picky to chrono but still could of chrono'd I would of thought

so yes all sites should chrono or find a way with lighting to chrono all guns for everybody's safety & peace of mind

I've only been to one site that didn't ask for guns to be chrono-d. I was pretty surprised by that. It was convenient, but had obvious safety implications regarding those who either didn't know the FPS of the weapons, or were untrustworthy (or both).

I recall one instance in my early days when I did some basic work on one of my regular guns that had shot consistently at 340 FPS. I took it to a game, strolled up to the chrono as I had dozens of times before with it, and it was firing at 390 FPS. Not entirely sure how. I ordered my own chrono online that evening so I could pick up on that sort of thing before getting to games. If they hadn't been checking everyone there, I never would have realized.

• Moderators

Maybe you should bring it up with them and mention your safety concerns, imagine some numpties running around with very high fps at close range shooting.....

its absolutely mindless not chronoing. It will just encourage those with hot guns looking for some sort of advantage. Dread to think how their insurance will stand. Cover probably voided.

its absolutely mindless not chronoing. It will just encourage those with hot guns looking for some sort of advantage. Dread to think how their insurance will stand. Cover probably voided.

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to a different site from now on.

My experience of sites that don't chrono has been broken fingers, digging BBs out of my skin etc. Its a recipe for getting hurt a lot more than you should because every site I have ever been to has always had an issue with at least one gun at chrono, every single time. If you don't run one that hot gun is going to be on your field.

Are you prepared to name the site guy - no worries if not.

I do wish sites were a bit better on chrono'ing. I know a couple if people who've set a hop to bring their FPS down purely to pass chrono. As soon as they can they change it and will be firing hot.

I wish sites did random chrono at least at points through the day.

I do wish sites were a bit better on chrono'ing. I know a couple if people who've set a hop to bring their FPS down purely to pass chrono. As soon as they can they change it and will be firing hot.

I do wish people were more eager to name and shame on H&S grounds. :)

Some people only have the one site to go to, and quite a few sites will browse these boards. It would be easy enough to work out who's skating the site online and ban them from playing.

Ravens didn't chrono any of us.

Though when I bring my sniper, I'll ask to have mine chrono'd so when I'm on the field without knowing how hot my gun is, I don't seem like a cheat or, well, a tw@t.

I think they should chrono all guns, as some people,probably get away with it.

My Local requires absolutely every gun intended for use on a day to be chronoed (Pistol's included, and that has discovered a few extremely hot CO2 pistols recently), and even then Marshal's hover round between games and randomly spot check entire groups of players at a time. Oh and a magical concept, they can chrono to your bb weight in use, getting around FPS weight cheats (and unsurprisingly, a few have actually been caught >.> )

yeah my site chronos every gun, and there is always someone with a 450fps cyma ak or something.

I have seen bolt actions with over 600 fps, every site should chrono. and every site should lock HPA guns so people can't adjust them mid game.

I think i would just drive home if they didn't chrono any guns to be honest, my site is really good on safety and they give you a good rollocking if your try to be cheeky with the rules. even a couple fps over 350 you're not allowed that gun.

they sometimes don't chrono pistols, which i can understand but i think they should.

• Supporters

My Local requires absolutely every gun intended for use on a day to be chronoed (Pistol's included, and that has discovered a few extremely hot CO2 pistols recently), and even then Marshal's hover round between games and randomly spot check entire groups of players at a time. Oh and a magical concept, they can chrono to your bb weight in use, getting around FPS weight cheats (and unsurprisingly, a few have actually been caught >.> )

I wish all sites did all this as I honestly don't think the way most sites rush everyone through works. All it is doing is mostly catching out people that bought new guns and assumed they would be site legal.

I've taken two bad hits and they were both at sites that chronoed. The first was on the stomach and felt like I'd been shot with a couple of coins, I had 2 overlapping bruises the size of a 2 pence piece for a couple of weeks. The second, someone shot me with an AEG from 30 or so metres on the thigh and it drew blood whilst I was wearing trousers.

my site didn't chrono shotguns for a while, and some kid had a spring shotgun in CQB it it was shooting almost 500fps and i got hit with it. bloody hurt for a week. but now they do chrono shotguns

Ditto, but as rc540 says, doing so can make your airsoft life quite awkward, even beyond the site you name and shame (some folks have quite the influence/dynasty over numerous sites).

Maybe we should direct more people to submit anonymous reviews through Airbana when safety issues are troubling? But this could just invite trolling... Need to think through a better option.

As others have said the owners may be On here. But I don't see the point in not listing it's name so here - ShockandAwe Airsoft. I have spoken to other players who have gone before and they have mentioned chronoing but all the times I have been I haven't seen anyone including myself get chronoed

As others have said the owners may be On here. But I don't see the point in not listing it's name so here - ShockandAwe Airsoft. I have spoken to other players who have gone before and they have mentioned chronoing but all the times I have been I haven't seen anyone including myself get chronoed

Look on their website, couldn't stop laughing at this:

7. 8mm BB's may not be used. This is due to the lack of 0.20g 8mm BB's for use in chronoing.

I mean, WTF, y u no maths?

• Supporters

Every site should Chrono, no if or buts its an absolute MUST!

What i would propose is that each site Chrono at the start of the day every players gun (1)

By every gun i mean AEGs, DMRs, Bolt action Rifles and PISTOLs (2)

Use a sites magazine preloaded with a known weight, either 0.20g or 0.25g and the Chrono matched to those weights (3)

Use the players preloaded magazine with their weight which they must declare, it should fall within a certain speed on the chrono (4)

Use Joules NOT FPS or MPS (5)

1: Every player needs to have their gun chrono'd, regardless of whether they are a regular or newbie, using their own gun or a rental, this includes marshals or staff who want to play the occasional game.

2: I mean every gun to be used that day or potentially used, i included Pistols as some people field CO2 Pistols which can occasionally be way too hot for Airsoft play.

3: If a site uses its own preloaded mags in popular mags such as STANAGs, AKs, G36 etc with the sites known weight then this reduces the chance of people going up to the Marshals and saying "yeah i got 0.20g BBs loaded" when in actual fact they have 0.30g BBs and hitting an FPS of 345 which would put them shooting at 1.6joules (around most sites DMR limits)

4: Chrono the gun again using the players declared weight, if the player says he or she is going to be using 0.25g BBs and if their gun clocked in at 345FPS on .20g BBs then it should clock in at around 310FPS on 0.25g BBs, this is to prevent Joule creep as you go up the BB weights.

5: Use Joule and NOT FPS or MPS as in reality what the UK legislation regarding Airsoft guns speaks in Joules not FPS.

6: Each gun to be chrono'd must have its Hop Up set to the lowest setting.

I'll admit on points 3 and 4 you may have a problem with having a variety of too many magazines or some players turning up with weird or hard to find mags such as a Kriss Vector Mag, if thats the case the site should have a speed loader with a known weight of BB ready, the player should provide an empty mag of theirs, which should be loaded up with that BB weigh and tested.

Furthermore, to prevent any discrepancy all sites should use the same Chrono brand and make, most of the sites i have visited use the Xcoretech X3200 and whilst i perfectly understand that not all chronos are made equal even among the same make it helps to reduce discrepancy. Some of my guns are shown just below the 350FPS limit on Xcoretech but on others such as Madbulls is shown around 325FPS (what gives).

All my above points is to try and prevent players from cheating the Chrono.

As for HPA setups, definitely use tournament locks with serial number zip ties, what prevents a HPA user from arriving to the site with a handful of coloured zip ties, get chrono'd with a legit FPS, get tied by staff, goes to the safe zone, removes the staffs tie, turns up the regulator and puts his own tie of similar colour through the regulator as if to say that it was chrono'd ok.

Every site should Chrono, no if or buts its an absolute MUST!

6: Each gun to be chrono'd must have its Hop Up set to the lowest setting.

I agree in principle, but it's never going to happen. Plus it's impractical, re-setting the hop takes ages with some guns.

Hop, takes at most 10% off before reducing an AEG to less range than a gas pistol, due to overhop.

Now if the hop was re-designed to 'click' like the one in the ASG scorpion, that'd be different.

That being said, the mall for example has a hard limit of 340, if it was hop off, most guns would fail. My MP5 is 'hot' with zero hop, but the range sucks.

Lowering the accepted max is better than wasting time and pissing people off with hop related issues.

I'm sure in some cases, such as M4, players would rather remove the upper and the inner.

• Supporters

Chrono testing with the hop off is not relevant to what the muzzle energy will be IN USE which is far more important to test.

Archived