Buying my first gun!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning all,

I'm in the process of buying my first gun. I have read through the forum article but I still need a little help!

I've been looking at the G&G CM16 range, specifically the Predator or the SRXL. Here's what I have found through my searches:

Predator - Gunfire.pl (£216) - Everyone raves about aesthetics but no real internals review (I imagine it is the same as the SRXL). Provided with ~400 FPS but I will have it downgraded to 350.

SRXL - Zero (~£205)- Good performance reviews from youtubers such as Desert Fox. Looks great and comes with 330 FPS, so no adjustment needed there.

Concerns arrive when looking at reliability and longevity. I've read about failures a few hours in and the battery scenario where the manuals reccomneded 7,4V and that is in no way sufficient. However on Zero Airsoft there is a large number of positive reviews for the older CM16's such as the raider.

Can anyone vouch for either of these guns or potentially offer an alternative solution.

Any help is appreciated!

• Supporters

google up G&G predator firing issue....

The ETU unit is a tad picky, needs to really run on 11.1v - will be fine coz of ETU mosfet protecting the contacts

do not upgrade motor though, it really don't like getting pushed with higher speed neodym - my unit crapped out

so I ripped the lemony etu out and went back to old skool trigger and mosfet

my view in pure truthfulness.....

£250 for a G&G ???

NO - save a bit more and get a Krytac - end of

G&G Starter Combat machines are ok for say £150 - maybe £200 absolute max

Once you start paying over that - then you really should consider hitting the £300 - £350 mark for a Krytac

you can really see where your extra money is going over a £175 gun

G&G starter guns - good guns

Intermediate guns - uhm ergh nah G&G are not always the wisest choice if I'm completely honest on £250 guns

While I'm in the fortunate position of being able to spend that much on a Krytac, it would be my first gun and hence £350 seems a lot! Believe me I'd love to!

I've see the CM16-Raider-L for around £132, which seems cheap and cheerful, here:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=5774

If it's worth going straight to the high end I'm happy to do so! Everyone on here obviously has experience to share, so I just want opinions :)

Many thanks!

• Supporters

To be honest it boils down to a few things......

have you got ukara - coz a 2-tone krytac would be a shame if you 2 months off ukara

Me I'd get say a G&G starter - my fav non picky etu might work might not G&G

is a CM18 - nice all rounder no fancy electronics to go wrong, good traditional stuff inside

if that has to be 2-toned to obtain ukara so be it but RIF or IF you can sell it later if need be once ukara'd and owner of a Krytac bad a$$ mofo

are you a real sad bastid that now airsoft will consume you and most importantly your wallet

if you are so hooked and see no ther way but to spend your life playing peew peew and little else - Krytac

might as well buy it now as resistance is futile and you are just putting off the inevitable I guess

I say this coz boys/blokes being blokes - these hobbies/latest thing sometimes last for ages/ever

and other times we can move onto another weird obsession, so decide just how obsessed you are playing with toy guns peew peww etc....

buy what YOU want not what others say or suggest at the end of day.....

That is really best bit of advice - you may or may not take this but deffo remember this important bit

Yes research - read up - heck try and see if you can hold any gun you might be thinking of buying if possible

but end of day - your gun - your money

ps - really read some of the guides in new players section

MUST READ - Ian's guide to noobism on budget - wish I had before diving in and buying lots of crap I shouldn't of

Yeah I read that guide! The temptation was for the SRXL because it is almost under the £200 mark I think I'll oblidge with the cheaper option first so I can have more of a play for now!

Thank you for the help :) I'm sure I'll be hooked playing pew pew for a long time!

• Supporters

Any G&G is good gun especially the £150 to £200 starter type guns

I love G&G's in that price range - despite me pulling stuff apart

It is when you go up to higher priced guns that many of us on here think G&G and many other makes have lost their way a bit

often when paying £300 for a G&G or others you wonder where the extra dosh went

Krytac - not 101% flawless have really thought out a lot of their stuff and truely have started to raise the bar and set new standards on £300+ guns

end of day - it is not the gun but player that wins the game or has the fun

yes a good gun helps but a good player can kick ar$e with almost any gun

have fun and "try" to keep a hold on things - especially ya wallet :)

You didnt really answer the two-tone question so we are none the wiser.

I've got principally G&G's and a Krytac CRB.

I like both for different reasons.

If you want to buy a rifle for under £200 then the G&G is a wise choice but personally the ETU puts me off, so I'd go for a model without it and just use a 7.4V LIPO.

IMHO - people make too much fuss about FPS and ROF. Just get out there and play.

Agree with baz,

If you're at the stage where you can't tinker with the gun to get more ROF, so you start looking for guns with a ROF that comes out the box.

As in, this gun will have 20 RPS a second out the box non upgraded, and if you're looking for stock ROF. Don't bother, as you'll probably go in a circle..

get a gun from a reputable brand, and has good reviews, so the cm from G&G is a good one, good brand, decent gun. Lots of reviews, if I'm right in saying, is probably the gun that most people would tell new guys to get.

Have fun, don't worry about outfit as of yet, go out and have fun.

If you have the dosh for a krytac, get that, is known for good performance outside the box

• Moderators

I think you need to decide the exact amount you want to spend then try and get to a shop first

I was going to get a G&G but held an ICS and bought it there and then

Always good to hold if you can 🙂

Sorry may have confused you more

Okay so I purchased this:

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152200253-CM16-Raider-L-carbine-replica-black.html

It had good reviews from so many starter players and I like the look, it's also cheap enough for me to be done with in a short amount of time too if I decide to get really into the hobby! (Krytac here I come?)

Will these batteries be suitable for it: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-6v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-cranestock-battery-4-4.html

I presume a mini-tamiya connection is used?

Thanks in advance :)

Okay so I purchased this:

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152200253-CM16-Raider-L-carbine-replica-black.html

It had good reviews from so many starter players and I like the look, it's also cheap enough for me to be done with in a short amount of time too if I decide to get really into the hobby! (Krytac here I come?)

Will these batteries be suitable for it: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-6v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-cranestock-battery-4-4.html

I presume a mini-tamiya connection is used?

Thanks in advance :)

buy a 7.4 lipo battery instead

buy a 7.4 lipo battery instead

I heard that for a newbie, this can be a pain to deal with, i.e. storage charge, overcharge etc....!?

The NiMH are supposed to be the easiest to use right? If you say lipo though, lipo it is :)

• Head Moderator

I heard that for a newbie, this can be a pain to deal with, i.e. storage charge, overcharge etc....!?

I have only used LiPo batteries and have not found them difficult or complicated, and would not hesitate to recommend them to a new player.

I have only used LiPo batteries and have not found them difficult or complicated, and would not hesitate to recommend them to a new player.

Without being cheeky, could you please link me to appropriate crane stock ones? :)

Many Thanks

• Moderators

The NiMH are supposed to be the easiest to use right? If you say lipo though, lipo it is :)

I have 4 lipos from new, charge before game with charger I got with them, use, store after until next time

Am I doing something wrong? 😀😀 why do people panic at the word lipo, just treat them like your other equipment, with respect and you'll be fine 🙂

• Head Moderator

Archived