Going Left handed as primary side

Sacarathe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm switching my primary stance to a left grip for all future airsoft games but my M4 is most certainly not ambi, is there anything I might need to know which is not obvious (in general, not just when using a non-ambi gun)? Obvious would be, don't have the dump pouch on rear left.

Not sure yet how I will adjust to single knee kneeling in reverse, will have to see how it goes. I've always played airsoft allowing myself to shoot left where needed, but now I'm switching my primary side.

I'm cross dominant and there is nothing else I can do about it.

I thought that you could train your other eye to be dominant?

I thought that you could train your other eye to be dominant?

there is nothing else I can do about it.

To cut a long, long, explanation short I cannot use* my right eye when my left eye is open, and when I close my right eye it has pretty much 0% effect on my life.

The problem is not related to focusing, although my right eye is weaker in this regard too.

*Not just for shooting, is also for reading and many other things.

• Head Moderator

You just need to become more dexterous and less sinister :huh:

I play ambi depending on where the gun is more useful. I mean.. with a reddot optic and a gun that does not recoil or spit out hot brass/gunpowder.. running AK, the selector isnt ambi, but I never touch that anyway.,

as for going left..
rainbow-stalin.gif

Curious about this myself, having to consider it as although I'm right handed I'm left eye dominant - unfortunately due to very early onset of glaucoma affecting my right eye :angry:

I tried swapping a couple of times during a recent game while using my M4 and found the improvement in vision amazing but it did feel really weird.

The only other slight issue I can think of as well as the fire selector is that if you're shooting right handed then the mag release sits really handy for your right index finger.

Phil

My son is left handed but does most things with his right.

I am right handed but eat left handed, play table tennis left handed and used to box south paw.

Brains are weird things

• Supporters

I am also cross dominate; I find it actually gives can give me a bit of an advantage in both real shooting and airsoft. I use rifles right handed still, but pistols left. The reason for this is that for iron sights, you need to use your dominate eye, but for optics it doesn't matter. I can shoot everything with either hand; it will take a little getting used to using your rifle left handed, but with the exception of your mag release and slide release (not relevant on most airsoft), there shouldn't be anything else that gives you an issue.

• Supporters

well the only difference is the selector switch?

And the mag release.

well the only difference is the selector switch? obviously on a real m4 you would have brass flying in your face but its not real?

might help?

I'll look at that (watched it now, worthwhile). I've actually done a lot of research, but where it fell short was on playing airsoft as a lefty, not operating real firearms. Perhaps I could have made that clearer in the OP, but being an airsoft forum, I did expect airsoft answers. :)

I'll look at that (watched it now, quite worthwhile). I've actually done a lot of research, but where it fell short was on playing airsoft as a lefty, not operating real firearms. Perhaps I could have made that clearer in the OP, but being an airsoft forum, I did expect airsoft answers. :)

honestly i didn't watch the video haha

The more I've thought about this the more I think it has to be just repetitive behaviour. Doing anything 'oposite' just takes some getting used to doesn't it? Left hand mounting a gun in airsoft has little consequence, compared to a live fire. Off the top of my head I can think of; selector switch,mag release, on springers bolt handle being the only things that might matter.

The rest should just be repetition and time taken doing something e.g like kicking a football on the oposite foot, or oposite way tricks in skateboarding/Bmx, or kneeling standing shots in HFT?

Please someone correct me or debate if this is inevitably wrong, or would it be considered more 'goofy' footed

• Root Admin

You're not wrong. Getting the right eye relief with your other hand can be hard sometimes, but it gets quite easy after a bit. It seems to pay to be able to switch hands depending on cover anyway - saved me a bunch of times I'm fairly certain.

Be aware that if you have a parallax incorrection in say your non dominant eye, then no matter how hard you 'train' that eye, the chances are that you may not acheive it without some form of optical correction, i.e a scope.

• Root Admin

I should also clarify that when I mean getting a good eye relief I simply mean knowing where to rest your face - feels weird cocking your head to the other side. I dunno if your post was related to mine at all :)

I should also clarify that when I mean getting a good eye relief I simply mean knowing where to rest your face - feels weird cocking your head to the other side. I dunno if your post was related to mine at all :)

No mate, just my two penneth. I remember back in the late 70's my father (who has incorrection in his left eye) demonstrated his inability to aim left side with a PPK, when he was explaining it to me.

Literally every shot high and right by about 2 inches.

You're not wrong. Getting the right eye relief with your other hand can be hard sometimes, but it gets quite easy after a bit. It seems to pay to be able to switch hands depending on cover anyway - saved me a bunch of times I'm fairly certain.

Aye. People look at me strangely when swapping arms to aim when, 'peaking' on the oposite side to my natural right. To me it makes more sense to show less of your body when leaning the corner right? Suppose previous experience shooting means I find it easy to shoulder and find the correct positioning/eye relief on either side

Yep, I'll still be swapping for corners, but other that. I have found that I do have some problems reloading, can barely support the weapons weight (lol), and my trigger discipline is lacking - made worse by the shape of the receiver.

• Root Admin

Have you considered selling up and getting an ambitious gun?

My gun has started refusing to come to skirmishes and is now studying hard to retake its A-levels so it can get the UCAS points for a Russell group university. I can sell you it if you'd like?

Archived