Can I buy a used RIF BB Gun without a license?

Davalla
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

This is my first post to the website; feel free to rinse me with elitism and stuff.

I'm also relatively new to airsoft. I bought a few two-tones a while ago and am becoming increasingly interested in RIF bb guns. However, I dont have any sort of eligibility to buy them: the process of enlisting for the UKARA license for example doesn't interest me; I would not be interested in playing an x amount of games, etc, as stated by the requirements. I want an RIF gun to admire. Mainly for target shooting.

I have seen some of these BB guns advertised on Free Ads websites where sellers are offering to post their guns. An example of this is here: http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sell/leisure-hobbies/hunting-sporting-equipment/bb-guns/31144712/kwc-km-43zdhn-jerico-co2-bb-pistol-with-bbs-and-10-gas-bottles/view

Would I be able to buy an RIF gun from private sellers without a license thing? Some of the adverts claim to require photo ID but don't specify what sort, or when they require it (upon sending the gun or upon delivery, etc).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank-you.

• Supporters

In short, no. You've never been to a skirmish and you admitted that you don't plan to.

UKARA isn't a license, either. It's a database for retailers to check whether customers are 'legally' eligible to purchase an RIF from them.

In short, no. You've never been to a skirmish and you admitted that you don't plan to.

UKARA isn't a license, either. It's a database for retailers to check whether customers are 'legally' eligible to purchase an RIF from them.

You're right, I have no intention of BB skirmishing. In my area, it is irrefutably shadowed by paintballing; thus I would have no-one to play with other than complete strangers. That's if I wanted to play BB matches; in all honestly though I find it cringe-worthy.

I used "UKARA license" shadowingly, for it does grant access, so acts as a license.

I was led to believe that only certified traders would check for registration details, etc, and that this doesn't apply to private sellers. I might even be making that up.

There's bound to be someone willing to send a gun without checking eligibility! Inshallah they are not scammers, too. < I'm not Muslim so I don't know why I said that. I'm not even black. Would you believe it?

You're right, I have no intention of BB skirmishing. In my area, it is irrefutably shadowed by paintballing; thus I would have no-one to play with other than complete strangers. That's if I wanted to play BB matches; in all honestly though I find it cringe-worthy.

I used "UKARA license" shadowingly, for it does grant access, so acts as a license.

I was led to believe that only certified traders would check for registration details, etc, and that this doesn't apply to private sellers. I might even be making that up.

There's bound to be someone willing to send a gun without checking eligibility! Inshallah they are not scammers, too. < I'm not Muslim so I don't know why I said that. I'm not even black. Would you believe it?

Is that a common thing to do? ;)

Why do you want a RIF in the first place? if you find airsoft "cringey"

Why do you want a RIF in the first place? if you find airsoft "cringey"

I did not say that I find airsoft "cringey" (I didn't even use that word, to be picky) as a whole. Can a man not own a model of a boat if he does no wish to go to sea?

I did not say that I find airsoft "cringey" (I didn't even use that word, to be picky) as a whole. Can a man not own a model of a boat if he does no wish to go to sea?

Right, but you can't use a model boat to potentially threaten someone.

Yes some people will sell you a RIF without need of a UKARA, you run the risk of it being destroyed in postal however.

There are also other licenses you can use to acquire a RIF, such a reenactment or film making but i guess you find those hobbies cringe-worthy" too.

Right, but you can't use a model boat to potentially threaten someone.

Yes some people will sell you a RIF without need of a UKARA, you run the risk of it being destroyed in postal however.

There are also other licenses you can use to acquire a RIF, such a reenactment or film making but i guess you find those hobbies cringe-worthy" too.

"but you can't use a model boat to potentially threaten someone"- That has little relevance to the original point.

"i guess you find those hobbies cringe-worthy" too"- That's a clear sweeping statement (have I offended you?), but I do have little liking for re-enactment, but am partial to the film making concept- that can hardly be applied to this scenario though.

Just get an air rifle or something.

Funnily enough that was what I was on the Free Ads websites for. There are no air rifle stores within close radius to me (as far as I can tell), and online stores charge loads for delivery. My thinking was that, if there are people willing to send air rifles, why couldn't this work with BB guns? :unsure:

Mtdcy.gif

Just paint one of your BB guns black, rad I know

• Supporters

That is a CO2 pistol firing steel 4.5mm bb's

not exactly run of the airsoft - not all BB guns fall into airsoft

And trying to obtain a RIF airsoft gun without a DEFENSE not license btw.....

you will run a higher risk of paying more for something that could be defective or knackered

plus a risk of it being stopped - with little comeback - even paypal can be picky about "airsoft" disputes

But yeah grab what you want/can for that added gangster look I guess

others just play/rent or purchase an IF for a while, get into it and continue with it and tinker with guns n stuff

I did not say that I find airsoft "cringey" (I didn't even use that word, to be picky)

Yes you did.

• Root Admin

Is that a common thing to do? ;)

Ehhhh?

As others say: Buy an air rifle or get one in bright orange. If you're using it for target shooting then you don't need an RIF anyway.

Try holding up a Post Office with a model of a boat.

Yes you did.

No, I did not. The user had the word "cringey" in quotation marks. I did not directly use that word; they should have paraphrased it without quotation marks or quoted correctly ("cringe-worthy).

Ehhhh?

As others say: Buy an air rifle or get one in bright orange. If you're using it for target shooting then you don't need an RIF anyway.

Try holding up a Post Office with a model of a boat.

Yeah, I'm working on the air rifles. I know I don't need an RIF but they just add an extra level of 'coolness'.

Why would I try holding up a Post Office with a boat model? Are people just not getting the point?

• Root Admin

The point is RIFs are restricted because they can be mistaken for a real gun and used nefariously. Your analogy with a boat doesn't work as boats aren't restricted because you can't mistake a yacht for a gun last time I checked.

You don't need a gun that's painted realistically for cringe-worthy BB wars so why not get one that's 2-toned? It'll shoot the same.

If you're a film maker and can prove that to a company then they'll sell you an RIF. Most will accept membership of a theatrical society, but I'm not sure how that works with film making - usually you have to be doing it professionally.

No, I did not. The user had the word "cringey" in quotation marks. I did not directly use that word; they should have paraphrased it without quotation marks or quoted correctly ("cringe-worthy).

That's if I wanted to play BB matches; in all honestly though I find it cringe-worthy.

Agree with Mos: Not a clever idea to come to an airsoft forum, call their game 'cringe-worthy' and simultaneously be asking for help in the same thread. What did you expect?

The point is RIFs are restricted because they can be mistaken for a real gun and used nefariously. Your analogy with a boat doesn't work because boats aren't restricted because you can't mistake them for a gun last time I checked.

You don't need a gun that's painted realistically for cringe-worthy BB wars so why not get one that's 2-toned? It'll shoot the same.

If you're a film maker and can prove that to a company then they'll sell you an RIF. Most will accept membership of a theatrical society, but I'm not sure how that works with film making - usually you have to be doing it professionally.

Agree with Mos: Not a clever idea to come to an airsoft forum and call their game 'cringe-worthy' and simultaneously be asking for help in the same thread. What did you expect?

My boat comparison was intended to combat the suggestion that RIFs were pointless if not being used in skirmishing. The inference of 'boats are not restricted', I feel, is a tangent.

"Not a clever idea to come to an airsoft forum and call their game 'cringe-worthy'...asking for help in the same thread"- But that is my opinion. It seems as though you fellas are old enough to own replications but not old enough to realise that opinions are subjective. Is that really the level that we are at? Bigotry?

• Root Admin

Oh now this is getting good.

My boat comparison was intended to combat the suggestion that RIFs were pointless if not being used in skirmishing. The inference of 'boats are not restricted', I feel, is a tangent.

What an absolutely bonkers bit of rhetoric. RIFs are restricted at the point of sale to attempt to stop people robbing banks and mugging people with them. If your point was that any object is fine to own so long as your intentions are good then you're going to be pretty disappointed by the law in general I'm afraid. Catering to the lowest common denominator is just what happens, but without a valid defence you'll find it incredibly hard to buy an RIF and that's the way it absolutely should be.

You cannot disagree with something that is not set in stone.

Sorry man, this isn't Tumblr. Of course I can disagree with you on anything I damn well please. You're fully entitled to call airsoft 'cringe-worthy' and you're also fully entitled to any backlash you get because of that. I'm also sorry that you've had to learn this on an airsoft forum of all places, but it applies to all walks of life.

without a valid defence you'll find it incredibly hard to buy an RIF and that's the way it absolutely should be.

... and that's what I was originally asking. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, this isn't Tumblr. Of course I can disagree with you on anything I damn well please. You're fully entitled to call airsoft 'cringe-worthy' and you're also fully entitled to any backlash you get because of that. I'm also sorry that you've had to learn this on an airsoft forum of all places, but it applies to all walks of life.

I re-phrased the second bit after I posted it as I knew it was a bad portrayal. You could have waited, jeeez. The point still stands.

PS: I have no affiliation with Tumblr.

Hello,

Would I be able to buy an RIF gun from private sellers without a license? Some of the adverts claim to require photo ID but don't specify what sort, or when they require it (upon sending the gun or upon delivery, etc).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank-you.

The sort that states you're not under 18? As for delivery, do you get aged checked after you've been sold the booze?

• Supporters

Legally there's nothing illegal about you buying a RIF. It would be the seller committing a crime by selling a RIF without you providing them with a defence against prosecution.

If you can find someone dumb enough to break the law so you can have a black gun instead of a green one crack on.

Archived