Ear Protection

Jason8
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm wondering how many of you consider or use ear protection or protectors of some sort. I know the folks using radios are catered for but what about the ones that don't use them and have bare ears going into a game? I'm thinking it's essential but I don't really see much mention of it. I don't fancy a perforated ear drum, does it happen, are ear injuries a regular occurrence? I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'm wondering how many of you consider or use ear protection or protectors of some sort. I know the folks using radios are catered for but what about the ones that don't use them and have bare ears going into a game? I'm thinking it's essential but I don't really see much mention of it. I don't fancy a perforated ear drum, does it happen, are ear injuries a regular occurrence? I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Perforated ear drum from what exactly? AEG's, GBB's etc etc certainly aren't loud. Most sites don't allow pyro higher than mk5's or 9mm blanks, a car backfiring is louder than both of those..

Just from getting hit square in the ear canal from a BB, not the noise.

Your tympanic membrane has no direct exposure. The curvature of the auditory canal and your tragus protect it from both direct and indirect trauma and debris.

So that's a no then? :D:lol:

• Root Admin

That's a 'it's impossible to actually do any long-lasting damage to your hearing with a BB' I think. Stings like anyone's business, but beyond a bit of blood you won't get any lasting damage.

I've found anything that protects the ear seriously hampers ones ability to hear. Even the thinnest neck gaiter.

Have a look at some of the newer versions of lower face mesh masks. They include ear protection. http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/half-face-airsoft-protection/8fields-tactical-lower-face-ear-protection-black.htm#.Vy6JOBnTXqA

I have to say that for CQB, I do try and protect my ears - it blinkin' stings to get a couple of shots in them at short range. Last time I tried a set of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/China-Made-2-Pair-of-Airsoft-Black-Ear-Cover-Protection-/280719413833?hash=item415c2e5249:m:m8nDroF8MgmaDbVW0yGq6qQ

You can thread the strap of your goggles through them and they get held in place quite well. Not sure how you'd wear them with glasses. I think Valken make mesh ones, or I've seen LevelCap on YouTube make his own by cutting the ear bits off one ofthe masks linked to by GeneralKimbo.

• Head Moderator

You could wear a Dye i4 mask for CQB as it has soft ear pads which offer protection. The ear pads have small perforations to allow some sound through and are removable. There are some lower face mesh masks that are larger and have ear guards. If you wear a Fast helmet then you could buy the ear shield attachments, although I do not remember ever seeing anyone using them.

• Supporters

For me, ear hits are the most painful I've had and having BFGs go off right at my feet inside very tight environments had a very similar effect to firing a rifle without ear pro; you don't see anyone with sense firing guns with ear pro.

So for any sort of CQB I wear Peltors. The mics are in the front so it does hamper your hearing from other directions but after playing the mall a fair few times I just kept having grenades go off right next to me in really confined spaces and when you have regular hearing tests in work that are crucial to keeping your job, the Comtac XPs were well worth the investment.

You could wear a Dye i4 mask for CQB as it has soft ear pads which offer protection. The ear pads have small perforations to allow some sound through and are removable. There are some lower face mesh masks that are larger and have ear guards. If you wear a Fast helmet then you could buy the ear shield attachments, although I do not remember ever seeing anyone using them.

http://www.evike.com/products/53003/

These work too. I tried the ones which do mouth/jaw/ears, and they're horrible, these ones just hang from the inner velcro of a helmet (thus making them higher) and once they're on I just forget about them

$_57.JPG

(I realise the PC in this pic is far too low.)

I always use ear protection, since much like my eyesight my hearing won't come back if it's damaged. I used to use Comtac XPs, but I've found EP3 earplugs to be more convenient, and due to the lack of variable sound amplification I find it easier to hear hits to my gear.

Biker light snood over head and ears,

Straps of the goggles/glasses to cover ears,

Lower mesh guard straps also cover ears.

Well, that's my ear protection.

I just wear a neoprene lower mask as it covers why ears well without compromising hearing, but...... if playing in CQB I would highly recommend something a little more solid that stops some noise as well

• Moderators

I have the mask general kimbo posted, it's fine, but like any, needs adjusting, only use it if wearing a cap or boonie

With fast helmet, lower face mask as straps cover ears, as well as goggle straps

At my my first game last year.....wow nearly a year, one of the guys found a bb in his ear, just lying above the lobe... If that makes sense..... It was a CQB site

Did I read somewhere by the way that full face protection under 16 is mandatory? Or was it a specific site?

• Supporters

I'm not sure it's laid down in the law anywhere, but from every site I've been to, under 16s (sometimes 18s) req full face and I'd be confident in saying that's an insurance requirement.. which these days is the same thing as saying it's the law.

• Moderators

Ditto the above for the 2 I've played at

This though can consist of full face mask or goggles and half mask I believe as well, as long as 'the face' is covered, best to speak to the site you play at, as like anything, we can read it differently to each other

Ditto the above for the 2 I've played at

This though can consist of full face mask or goggles and half mask I believe as well, as long as 'the face' is covered, best to speak to the site you play at, as like anything, we can read it differently to each other

Every site I have played insists under 18s wear full face, goggles and lower mask count as far as I could tell.

Don't be a big Jessie, What next a cup?

• Moderators

Haha we had a joke about that last year, a flurry Ish of posts with body protection similar to motor cross soon followed!!!

Archived