Are sidearms necessary?

Reb3l
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Recently I've been seeing lots of players asking about pistols and at skirmishes lots of players have sidearms but never use them. So I've come to ask they a necessity? Now I know that they are useful as a backup in case your primary fails and I have seen it many times but apart from that they are rearly used so is it better to have a second dary weapon such as an smg on standby or a pistol on your hip?

opinions appreciated.

Pistols really aren't necessary unless you are a sniper or you are playing a pistol and shotgun game or similar. I think most of us just have them for looks and coolness more than anything. I think i have used mine twice in a year and a half.

I wouldn't say they are neccessary as such. But, it really depends on play style.

Snipers generally need a secondary due to their limits on engaging at close range.

Personally, I carry a pistol to switch to in CQB.

It's not really that I need to, as I've got a stubby M4 as a primary - I just find it more entertaining.

I love using a pistol, but I'm usually outgunned if I try to use it outside. My local site is big open outdoors leading to FIBUA/CQB. So I'm useless if running a pistol all game.

I've never got into a situation where I have to use my pistol because I'm out of ammo/battery/anything else with my M4.

I play a tight indoors site mainly and never run one as my primary is a PDW. I just find a pistol is another thing to carry and I like to stay 'agile'.

I did recently have a quick go with a HPA'd 400 round drum mag High Cap, and just ran that on it's own. Vid here -

i only ever use my rifle, dont even own a pistol atm.

they do seem to cause more trouble than they do help, i've seen people loose mags, have them fall out of holsters. and of coarse there are always the wallies messing about with them in safe zone.

• Supporters

Only people that need one are those who have minimum engagement distances on their main gun; snipers etc.

Beyond that they're situationally useful/fun but absolutely not 'necessary'.

Pistol only games are a LOT of fun though.

I went a long time without getting a pistol - tried using a Mac 10, a Sten, and a shotgun as sidearms for when the primary failed. The problem with those is how long they take to deploy, and how much space the process takes. Now I've finally got a M1911, I can't believe I waited so long. It's incredibly useful for when using a DMR setup (or sniper), but also for using standard AEGs when space is limited and the enemy is close. For example, when firing over a ledge, into a bunker, or when you want to keep close to a piece of cover without maneuvering your rifle over the top of it.

I get 4-5 kills with mine each skirmish, and I'd say I run a carbine type AEG half the time anyway. Not wanting to shamelessly advertise, but this recent video illustrates the situations I mean perhaps better than me describing them.

EDIT: What I will say is that if you do get a pistol, get a plastic retention holster from the off. I was losing mags and even the pistol multiple times throughout each day with a fabric drop leg one. Now, with a retention holster, if something falls off my person, it's the whole holster, which is rare and a little easier to notice... ;)

Personally I have actually used my sidearm alot 'WE G18c', I was told when I first started playing that I wouldn't really use one but that was wrong, I run a fairly long rifle so in short engagements I will pull out the pistol or if im rushing like a nutter to get a objective. But it all comes down the the player, no harm in carrying one really even if you do rarely use it

I use mine a lot - when walking back to the safe zone and emptying the mag into a stream.

But it is handy at times - even just psychologically (for the opposition as much as me). Similar to other stories above, last game, a sneaky guy was coming up a ridge at me on the right side, and the angle and cover was such that I couldn't get my AK on him without exposing my well-nourished rump to a gaggle of other players on the left.

The pistol was never fired at him, but just sticking it and my head round trying to get a shot (I couldn't actually fire without blind firing) was enough to keep him at bay long enough for backup to take him out. Without my waggling, either he, or his pals would have got me.

I use mine a decent amount

I find it easier when going through small gaps/corners etc

I'd say I would miss it if I didn't have it

• Head Moderator

The chances of my primary failing are slim but having a pistol allows me me the option to use it if necessary; more likely to pass my pistol to a team mate when their primary fails/out of ammo in order to keep them in the fight longer (instead of an early trip back to the safe zone). I do have a lanyard attached to my pistol in the event of it falling out of its holster.

Depends on the site and the game. I like to carry as little as possible so in a CQB skirmish will often just have either the rifle or the pistol. Playing with pistol only is great fun, does put a smile on the face, as it adds a different dimension to your playstyle and tactics employed.

Are they a necessity? It is all down to personal preference. However, I think that when starting out it is best to buy one better quality gun instead of getting both a rifle and pistol. And then buy yourself a pistol at a later date. As a rough average the pistol only gets used 10% of the time compared to the main gun, so it is more practical to invest (especially with a limited budget) in the main gun first.

The chances of my primary failing are slim but having a pistol allows me me the option to use it if necessary; more likely to pass my pistol to a team mate when their primary fails/out of ammo in order to keep them in the fight longer (instead of an early trip back to the safe zone). I do have a lanyard attached to my pistol in the event of it falling out of its holster.

Depends on the site and the game. I like to carry as little as possible so in a CQB skirmish will often just have either the rifle or the pistol. Playing with pistol only is great fun, does put a smile on the face, as it adds a different dimension to your playstyle and tactics employed.

Are they a necessity? It is all down to personal preference. However, I think that when starting out it is best to buy one better quality gun instead of getting both a rifle and pistol. And then buy yourself a pistol at a later date. As a rough average the pistol only gets used 10% of the time compared to the main gun, so it is more practical to invest (especially with a limited budget) in the main gun first.

Good point about utilising a pistol by giving it to others to use if required!

@ Reb3l - I have just seen you play at Strikeforce CQB. So do I! . Pistols are good at Strikeforce due to the small spaces etc. If you want a good pistol, then that exact one I use in the video in my post above is for sale (it's not mine though) and I know it has barely been used.

• Supporters

I always carry a pistol. I use it for door entry, tight corners etc. Saying that a sidearm is completely unnecessary and only for "looks" or "coolness" for me just tells me you don't know how or when to use one.

It comes back to the whole "I have an M4 but it's too long for CQB". You don't need a new gun, you need to know how to use the one you have.

Pistols are vital for me.

I often go 'Winchester' with my AEG during longer games and a pistol helps until I can get back to reload.

A pistol helps in more compact spaces.

If you're worried about losing them, a £3 lanyard or decent retention holster should solve this.

• Supporters

I'm crap but if you watch an experienced player at work then you understand......

They move in already identified target tap tap

(yup I can do that we all say....)

but they know how n when to use their stuff is what I mean

as they venture into tight spaces the pistol is drawn

or

better still they are fully aware of their aprox mid cap rounds left and just as they feel the mag is empty

do they attempt to reload in middle of a possible fire fight like most of us would ???

Nope coz they know it is way quicker to switch to pistol and take out the last couple of enemies......

These mofo's don't move they seem to glide and really is something to watch from dead zone

or congratulate the f*cker if he takes you out when you think you have got him now......

One day if I'm lucky I may get a tiny bit near that level of skill instead of just running around screaming like a girl

So - yes a pistol for some skilled players is necessary - to others it is mainly an afterthought/look they often forget how to use or they have on them

• Supporters

I believe this question can be summed up by this:

There are three types of people when it comes to pistols.

1: I use an AEG/GBB rifle and I have plenty of ammo and the likelihood of it failing during a game are so low that I don't bother carrying a pistol.

2: Pistols? Yea, I love pistols (Has a metric ton of them, but never actually uses them).

3: I love pistols. Sometimes, I only use pistols. I like the ease of movement and the feel of them (CQB people often)

I fall into the third category, or maybe even a fourth;

4: Oh, we are at a long range outdoor field where 50% of the people are using P*s and most engagements are around 50+m? I got this (proceeds to strap 4 pistols and a grenade launcher to self and rule the game-site).

Really, it just comes down to preference. I think if you run low-cap mags for realism or GBBRs then you will probably want to have a pistol. You just don't have the ammo to compare to the guys with 6+ high-caps. if you only really ever use your AEG, love your high-caps (my one friend), then don't bother. In terms of price, pistols are a lot cheaper than most rifles, so if you find you have some spare cash laying around, then try one out for yourself - it won't break the bank like a new AEG or GBBR will.

• Supporters

Depends on the player. I have been running without one for a few months and have really missed it. The ability to go from aeg to pistol when low on ammo is great. When taking out groups of people in cqb its a lot easier with a pistol because you can change targets a lot faster.

Not having one has slowed me down and made my game worse.

Not necessary but definitely better.

I run pistol only and feel it's easier to peak tight angles or just rush up to cover fast. Also instead of on a tire wall for example having a hole to look through it can now be a hole to shoot through!

3XiiFV.gif

I love my pistol, and I'll use it a lot, since I enjoy sneaking around urban settings.

Alternately, when using my GBBR, I'll run out of ammo rather fast, and often dropping the rifle onto a sling and grabbing my pistol from my belt or chest is seconds faster than trying to reload.

I once had a corner, moving up to a vehicle when me and my buddy came under fire. I fired a few shots but felt the bolt lock back on my rifle, so bolted to the side to get to the other side of the van from the shooter, burst through a couple of trees and whipped my pistol from my chest...

Just in time to trade bbs, one shot each with the target.

At least it looked and felt cool. The other dude even shook my hand

it really depends on your field, if your field is open woodland; I would say no, pistols are not necessary. However fields that are more CQB-centric, yes they're very effective. In fact I normally ditch my rifle and just use a pistol for CQB stuff.

A lot of airsoft comes down to the cool-ness factor, nothing is much cooler than a GBB pistol.

I also used to operate a GBBR (gas blow back rifle) with 4 magazines holding 30 rounds, equating to 120 overall (1/4 of an average hi-cap).

I always carried my pistol with 2 mags then, because i often completely ran out of ammo (or gas) and gas rifles are prone to malfunctions thus a pistol is mandatory in my opinion when running one.

When i come to think of it, most of my best airsoft moments are pistol related. Running to an objective with just my pistol and securing the win.

Alas like most things, its relational; but if you can you should!

:-)

-on a side note I'm selling a WE M9 if you're interested. B)

As someone who only really played CQB and had a reasonably short and very reliable primary, I found that I never used my handgun all that much, so I would hardly think them necessary. That said though, I don't begrudge having one since they can be really fun to play with. Sometimes I'de slap in the 50 round long mag and play with just that (often toward the end of the night when I was tired of carrying a 3.5kg assault rifle).

My particular site is woodland with a few vehicles, a heli & buildings so for me personally, its easier to switch to a side arm as I can have target aquasition easier but can still do the same with me rifle. A pistol makes your profile smaller than when carrying a rifle

I've been to sites where space was tight & a pistol was much easier to use

• Supporters

As others have said they are nice to have but not necessary.

However I love using pistols as they are great fun and I can't imagine not carrying one at all times. I find switching to a holstered pistol much faster than reloading my rifles in a pinch and i'm a big fan of quick release slings as it allows you to set your rifle down and rush people you are in a standoff against. This is especially true if you want to climb something or are going over difficult terrain like steep hills.

Archived