springs

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Springs vary from type length thickness makes etc....

Plus knackered or new they do lose their tension as they become used

I would like to say something like ergh uhm perhaps within 30fps of guessing but really ergh nope again...

Just coz spring is short - means little

Could easily be more powerful than a longer similar looking spring

The could be regular - all coils spaced same

Or irregular, coils tight in middle & one end

Nope still can't say for sure....

Maybe if when you was installing the spring you may be able to feel the tension difference between 2 similar springs of say m100 & m110

But 2 different springs age/new different makes/types

Well still not a very accurate guess and that if you was quite experienced....

So no - no markings or ratings so if in doubt buy a new m100 spring to be reasonably sure she will be OK with that as a back up perhaps

• Supporters

Lick it, the stronger the spring the more tang they have.

• Supporters

In all seriousness though, they really should colour code them or something. I have three springs in my toolbox and I have no idea what strength any of them is.

• Supporters

Some are short and firm, others long and weak and kinda floppy (insert dick joke) and give the same result

Do you know what the spring is from? how old the gun is?

Pro-tip:
When you buy a new spring, take the old spring and put it in the packet the new one came in.

Label it with: Date, FPS given, gun taken from, barrel length

This way you know roughly what to expect from a spring before you fit it. and with enough volume of guns changed you can start to get an idea of what stuff likes what springs. (Cymas, for example typically add about 10m/s to the spring rating of guarder springs and M90 will do 100m/s-ish)

you would have thought they would have made some way for you to tell. really its just bad forward planning.

also i wondered why some springs are evenly spaced and others have variations in coil spacing? and is there a right way round to put the ones with different coil spacing?

Question about springs quickly... How many shots through for them to 'Bed in'. My guns shooting 370fps. Bought an m100 to drop it below the limit or is it worth just running through 1000 or so bb's and seeing here it chronos again?

• Supporters

Or correct AoE will drop about 15fps

if already done then remove piston bearings or bearing spring guide for normal one

either of those compress spring a further 5mm aprox - if 6-12 months later spring drops you can replace them

You can leave it precocked for 24hrs but not wise on plastic rack piston I'd say if dropping 20fps

Or I have started compressing hot springs overnight with long bolt in a stripped knackered piston

which 24hrs later has dropped a 385fps spring to about 370fps in a 400mm aps uar...

this seems about right when spring is installed in a 300mm gun to get about 340fps

but I'm still messing with numerous ideas and bollox'd a spring leaving it fully compressed for about 3-4 days (i forgot - lol, it was lame and seriously varying fps)

Archived