Manufacturing futuristic imitation firearms

undefinedparameters
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, although this isn't 100% airsoft related, I figured that someone here might be able to give me some guidance. I'm currently planning to produce a prop firearm that looks like a semi-futuristic rifle, which will be used as part of a costume/prop. The weapon will be incapable of firing anything, or even loading anything at all and will contain no working parts other than a bolt than will simply move back and forth on a spring, and a trigger mechanism, also spring loaded. What are the laws regarding this? Obviously, I'm not planning on making the prop two-tone, and I don't currently possess a UKARA number, but I'm wondering what the best thing to do would be to allow me to make, carry and use the prop safely and legally. Obviously, it's not technically a firearm, but could it be considered an imitation one? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest PT247

It's only a prop, that doesn't replicate a real firearm, so you're fine.

If that is thw case you shouldn't need a dwfence to buy a ghk g5 but do!

• Supporters

I think there's a certain amount of 'sensibility' needed here, a GHK G5 might not be a replica of a real firearm but to the layman it looks like a real gun.

likewise if your futuristic imitation firearm could be confused by a layman then it's iffy (of course, you'd need to commit a crime with it for anything bad to happen!)

So, although this isn't 100% airsoft related, I figured that someone here might be able to give me some guidance. I'm currently planning to produce a prop firearm that looks like a semi-futuristic rifle, which will be used as part of a costume/prop. The weapon will be incapable of firing anything, or even loading anything at all and will contain no working parts other than a bolt than will simply move back and forth on a spring, and a trigger mechanism, also spring loaded. What are the laws regarding this? Obviously, I'm not planning on making the prop two-tone, and I don't currently possess a UKARA number, but I'm wondering what the best thing to do would be to allow me to make, carry and use the prop safely and legally. Obviously, it's not technically a firearm, but could it be considered an imitation one? Any help would be appreciated.

The most important question which I can't see is "what do you plan to do with it and where?"

• 5 months later...

I'll say again, like I've said so many times before, you do not need UKARA to have a valid VCRA defence.

Are you doing it for the purpose of film (legally defined, as according to the act references in the VCRA act, as "a recording on any medium from which a moving image may by any means produced")?

(if it's just for a cosplay event or similar, are you planning on going to that event and taking video selfies of yourself, with said prop, as a part of your experience?)

Archived