Motor maintenence

n1ckh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My motors are getting a bit sluggish so I think it's time to clean them & replace worn brushes

Does anyone else do this & what do you use to clean them with ??

• Supporters

Have you checked your batteries aren't just starting to shit the bed?

• Supporters

The communator probably has a build of carbon on it

so before replacing brushes using a fiberglass pen you might be able to clean off the worst of carbon without stripping down the motor

jamming in the slim fiberglass pen and turning the motor by hand should pull off the worst of crap

running new brushes in jar of water to bed them in n stuff may help....

but tbh I've only rebuilt one motor so I'm not the best to answer motor rebuild or servicing....

my idea is keep old motors for bits & all that

but if all else fails a new neo motor starts at a little over £20 or shs at about £25+

so why bother going nutz unless you are really getting into it

f*ck it - whack more juice through them is quick easy bodge method until they burn out

Batteries are fine Mozart as there less than 6 month old lipos

Cheers duck for the advice, I know about the running in water etc but there all 1 year & older so some tlc is in order & there all upgrade motors aswell.

I don't have a 1mm alen key to remove the pinion gear to get the shaft out so need to clean it all another way

• Supporters

Batteries are fine Mozart as there less than 6 month old lipos

Cheers duck for the advice, I know about the running in water etc but there all 1 year & older so some tlc is in order & there all upgrade motors aswell.

I don't have a 1mm alen key to remove the pinion gear to get the shaft out so need to clean it all another way

Just because they are a year old doesn't mean they need tlc. I know guns that are 5 or 6yrs old that are running smooth after heavy usage. If they are giving up that quick unless you are firing 5000rnds a week I would just buy a better brand of motor.

• Supporters

think the pinion is something daft like a 0.05" imperial and metric equivalent aren't that great

I was talking about firberglass pen if com is dirty

when you replace brushes you may be able to jam the pen, wind the tip right out

jam it in there and let the pen clean up the com as you turn it

sandpaper is not advised as any harder and bits of copper may come off and cause shorts

which will involve stripping down.....

I was saying about brushing some carbon build up off all whilst motor is still intact and blowing out the carbon for an easy quick service

real frankentorque saddo's strip it all down recut the com's on com lathe or general lathe

pi$$ball about with different armatures and various cans & magnets...

redoing the shimming of motor and magnets rebuild shaft bearings if needed

(oh f*ck off, I have enough fun just shimming the f*cking gearbox)

yeah ffs - do a bit of servicing, box running well then get a new motor eventually

badly shimmed box will kill a motor's bearings quickly

but come on, even I draw the line at getting THAT involved rebuilding motors to attain max possible torque/speed balance

which tbh in UK @ 350fps we don't need really f*cking mental fast torquey bespoke franky motors imho

Archived