Madbull 3 in 1 hop unit questions

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Was looking to upgrade the hop up unit in my ares AM14 and as far as I can see its a standard fitting if this is the case the Madbull unit should fit.

My question is related to the tracer add on for this how does it draw power is it via the gun or does it need and external power solution and if so is this possible on the honeybadger?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Guest PT247

you can do it either way. Whichever you choose it is worth adding a switch to the wiring loom else it'll draw current whenever you attach a battery!

• Supporters

I wired mine to a switch, which is spliced into the main loop. I'll throw some pics down below.

• Supporters

Was looking to upgrade the hop up unit in my ares AM14 and as far as I can see its a standard fitting if this is the case the Madbull unit should fit.

For example it doesn't fit the Madbull Noveske M4 upper without some really serious dremeling. :)

• Supporters

I wired mine to a switch, which is spliced into the main loop. I'll throw some pics down below.

Is it actually any good though? The general consensus I've heard thus far is that it's not great as either a hop OR a tracer...

Guest PT247

The tracer is weak especially if you only fire in semi as the charge fades once the BB is chambered in the barrel.

• Supporters

The tracer is weak especially if you only fire in semi as the charge fades once the BB is chambered in the barrel.

That's what I wondered. I have a couple of tracer magazines and they suffer from the same issue.

I was under the impression the hop until was good I was just happy there was an added benefit of the tracer which I planned to get at some point.

My next option was the Pro-Win M4/AR15 hop unit is this a better choice?\

• Supporters

I was under the impression the hop until was good I was just happy there was an added benefit of the tracer which I planned to get at some point.

My next option was the Pro-Win M4/AR15 hop unit is this a better choice?\

I'd say the Prowin is the better hop unit (at least it gets all the praise, whether or not it deserves it I can't say having never actually used one). Silencer style tracer units are generally brighter, tracer mags and the Madbull hop unit are a compromise but good if you don't want a suppressor hanging off the end of your rifle.

I'd say the Prowin is the better hop unit (at least it gets all the praise, whether or not it deserves it I can't say having never actually used one). Silencer style tracer units are generally brighter, tracer mags and the Madbull hop unit are a compromise but good if you don't want a suppressor hanging off the end of your rifle.

I guess my current issue is that the barrel is attached the silencer on the honey-badger IIRC (would need to look it up) so I would need to change a lot internally to get that to work.

• Supporters

I guess my current issue is that the barrel is attached the silencer on the honey-badger IIRC (would need to look it up) so I would need to change a lot internally to get that to work.

The inner barrel extends through the silencer but you could cut the barrel down and fit the guts from a B&T tracer unit in the end of the suppressor...

• Supporters

I dont mind the Madbull hop. I mean, its not got that TM pixie dust in it, but its a decent hop. The Prowin will be better though. I think (for a little extra money) you would open the other side of the feeding tube and put a second illumination source - that may help with the brightness (I may do this on mine). The reason it doesn't work well on semi is that once a round is chambered, it no longer is receiving light. After a few seconds it dims out. I think it would be a neat idea to build a clear hop unit and illuminate that instead... (Hey look, im at an engineering school... Project next fall?).

Archived