Don't buy cheap BBs!!!

GunmanAirsoft
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Over the last month we have had several customers every weekend who have had problems with guns and magazines jamming etc.

Almost every one was caused by cheap BBs (usually Bulldog brand).

Cheap BBs are fine in cheap spring guns, but in precision guns such as we use for skirmishing, a perfectly round, smooth BB which is fractionally under 6mm is essential for correct operation.

Several of the guys have ended up with broken teeth on pistons, torn hop rubbers, broken nozzles etc as a direct result of using cheaper ammo which has jammed in their guns.

Don't do it people, it will cost you a lot more in gun repairs and rental fees than you will save on ammo.

• Root Admin

Unfortunately the sort of people who are going to be reading this thread are the ones who are probably significantly more switched on class of chairsofter than the sort of person who buys Bulldog, Nuprol or BB King BBs to put through their gat.

• Supporters

Unfortunately the sort of people who are going to be reading this thread are the ones who are probably significantly more switched on class of chairsofter than the sort of person who buys Bulldog, Nuprol or BB King BBs to put through their gat.

Haha have you seen some of the threads lately?

Take it you haven't seen any of the threads asking what retailers like justbbguns etc are like then lol.

You really think those people are going to see this thread when they can't even use the search to see how to clean a barrel? Alright them man.

You're absolutely right. In future I will refrain from posting basic advice that may help new airsofters to save money and heartache and stick to posting advanced advice which won't get followed because everyone who is on this forum is either too dumb to read it or way too experienced to need it...

But really, thanks for the useful input on the thread

• Supporters

You're absolutely right. In future I will refrain from posting basic advice that may help new airsofters to save money and heartache and stick to posting advanced advice which won't get followed because everyone who is on this forum is either too dumb to read it or way too experienced to need it...

But really, thanks for the useful input on the thread

Touchy

Touchy

Just a bit annoyed at the fact that I've offered some basic advice aimed at new players, and someone with a good deal of knowledge and experience chose to add such a dismissive and belittling reply.

I expressed that annoyance by means of sarcasm, as is my way ;p

• Head Moderator

I may just get a cheap two tone BB gun and then buy expensive BBs with all the money I saved by shopping at JustBBcrapshop.com, and be smug knowing I will not break my gun ;)

Valid point though, why spend money on a decent gun and then try to save a few pennies on cheap BBs that may damage it. Of course even if we did have a sticky guide to recommended BB brands people would not read it and just post a thread asking the already answered question (again).

• Root Admin

Just a bit annoyed at the fact that I've offered some basic advice aimed at new players, and someone with a good deal of knowledge and experience chose to add such a dismissive and belittling reply.

I expressed that annoyance by means of sarcasm, as is my way ;p

And yet he also liked your post and bumped your thread four times.

If we're still being serious for a moment: I don't think you'll find many more people who post more regularly on 'please help I'm a lazy sod' threads than I. Even if I'm telling them to search, I'll always include the search term or even the links they need.

I expect you felt pretty good writing this up saying Bulldog BBs are shite, but in a week this thread will be as buried as the rest. I know you mean well, but you have to be extremely realistic here and either actively post on threads where people want the help or amalgamate all your knowledge into one thread that you can just link back to. This kind of thread? It's basically the equivalent of a status update. If you think people will be rifling through the search results to find that thread where-that-one-guy-said-you-shouldn't-buy-obviously-poop-BBs then you're mistaken, sorry.

Valid point though, why spend money on a decent gun and then try to save a few pennies on cheap BBs that may damage it. Of course even if we did have a sticky guide to recommended BB brands people would not read it and just post a thread asking the already answered question (again).

This. A proper thread with a list would be nice. I'm kinda working towards that with my BB testing right now, but it's going to be a few months.

And yet he also liked and bumped your thread four times.

If we're still being serious for a moment: I don't think you'll find many more people who post more regularly on 'please help I'm a lazy sod' threads than I. Even if I'm telling them to search, I'll always include the search term or even the links they need.

I expect you felt pretty good writing this up saying Bulldog BBs are shite, but in a week this thread will be as buried as the rest. I know you mean well, but you have to be extremely realistic here and either actively post on threads where people want the help or amalgamate all your knowledge into one thread that you can just link back to. This kind of thread? It's basically the equivalent of a status update. If you think people will be rifling through the search results to find that thread where-that-one-guy-said-you-shouldn't-buy-obviously-poop-BBs then you're mistaken, sorry.

You'll notice I gave you full credit for being experienced and knowledgeable. Having not met you, this opinion has been formed by reading your helpful posts on other threads, hence my disappointment at your post in this one.

Sadly, I can't post sticky threads that I'm aware of, so 'status updates' are all I have.

I spent the best part of four full days in the last month investigating people's AEG problems (free of charge), lending them my rental guns so they could play while I looked at theirs (also free of charge) and either fixing them, taking them to Fire Support or recommending what action to take (again, all free of charge).

I genuinely applaud your input on the majority of other threads, you clearly have dedicated a lot of time to helping people out (hence my earlier offer of help on advice for a radio thread which I thought you may be working on).

If you honestly think that my advice in this thread is either unhelpful or that not one person might benefit, the go ahead and rip into it or report it or whatever, otherwise if you have nothing useful to contribute to a topic that might help even one person out, why waste your time commenting on it?

I'm not picking on Bulldog in particular, all the other cheap crap was in unbranded bottles or bags, but over 50% of the problem BBs were Bulldog so I thought it helpful to point it out to people who might otherwise think it was good value for money.

• Root Admin

No, I just don't think it's a useful thread at all because it'll be buried. I'd expect the same sh*t if I made a thread tomorrow saying not to wear trainers to a woodland game in the Autumn or remembering to balance your LiPos properly. I get why you think this might help, but a properly make thread that can be stickied helps soooo much more in the long run.

And also I'm in complete agreement on the Bulldog front. They are complete poop. What I'm more worried about these days is hygroscopic stuff like Nuprol, Gunfire Platinums and BB King. Those have actually ruined some people's barrels to the point that they needed a blow torch to melt the BBs out. People still run them because they have a bright label and full page advertisements in Airsoft International though.

I've seen your thread on that subject.

Wierdly, the previous batch of Nuprol 0.3s and 0.28s were fine, when we ordered the next lot they started sending out tracer rounds instead for the same price.

Then I started hearing about the latest batch of standard stuff acting as you say so it would appear that they have pulled the batch. I can only speak for Nuprol/WE Europe as I order from them rather than direct from the factory.

Like I say, the previous batch were actually really good.

WE/Nuprol have upped their game in the last year or so, but they still seem to be suffering from horribly inconsistent manufacturing standards.

They also appear to have a major design fault on their mp5/Apache range where the firing pin jams, causing an uncommanded full auto mag empty. On the plus side I bought a B-grade one off them and figured an easy fix for the problem so I now have a fully working one to play with :) but it's clearly a design oversight.

• Root Admin

I saw in another thread on here: Didn't the first batch get made by WE themselves and the second lot from BB King? I know - at the very least - their tracers are BB King. It'd make sense as they supply Gunfire too and all look identical and weigh in identically too as well as swelling up the same.

Hey-ho. It's all a little too damn sleazy for me so I avoid them all.

I can try asking them where they're made, but even if the UK office did know, I doubt they would be at liberty to disclose that information.

A bit like going to McCain's chip factory at Whittlesey and seeing fries coming off the line, being split into two packing lines - one side going into McDonald's MacFries bags, the other side going into clear, unbranded bags to be shipped out to budget supermarkets :D McDonald's sure won't tell you that if you ask them lol

• Supporters

Over at Zero One a chap had grief with GF Rockets & a Madbull jamming....

I've not a problem with Rockets - though I may have had the odd jam now and then on higher auto speed once or twice but not sure if Rockets .25 or another 0.20 were in gun at the time.....

Anyway they seemed ok in general but there is the odd posting of a jam now and then on these budget bb's

plus batches/standards can slip with almost anything......

Suffice to say, I just added a few bags of G&G's to a recent order for testing

F*ck me please don't start saying - Oh no not them Taiwan egg shaped Bull$hit reject bb's that G&G flogg.....

Further more though, a bit also falls onto the user....

If a bb has jammed either in barrel, caught on bucking lips or whatever....

FFS - do you think holding down the trigger trying to feed more eggs into ya basket/barrel is REALLY gonna work....

Ohhh wow that's odd.... my gun is now completely f*cked they think, amazed as to how that could of happened

Still we are talking of people who may not know much, not listen to advice/feedback - just not got a f*cking clue at all

So very little you can do - you can't educate someone who refuses to listen,

ye olde method of knocking some sense into them may only get you into trouble for assault I'm told

• Root Admin

I think it's .30g and up, yeh. After .30g most manufacturers have to add metals to get the weight they need (which is why the price rockets up too) - not sure how BB King did it with a polymer buy clearly in such a way that the whole thing swells like a balloon.

• Supporters

There are always new players so even if we keep telling people to use proper BBs, the new ones will still use cheap 0.20s.

Where I came from me and 2 friends set up a page called (roughly translated) airsoftbeginners which has all the information a beginner needs. We launched in 2009 and have about 60 articles. Now it is the primary go to page where senior players tell noobs to go.

Unfortunately my English is not very good so I can't translate it. If anyone would want to help with that, I could host it alongside with the Hungarian one.

There are no ads on it though so no money comes in but that also means shops and sites can't put false info on it that would help their business only. Many articles were written by other airsofters, and it has been years since the last article has been published. I just keep them up to date. So it must be complete. :)

http://airsoftujonc.hu

Anyone interested? :)

• Supporters

Unfortunately my English is not very good so I can't translate it.

Well I'll bet your English is a lot better than my Hungarian

(so glad I wasn't born in France - can't speak a f*cking word of French really)

suppose there is google/chrome translate but like most stuff is taking the time to do it into a translated proof read item....

will have a looksie and keep it bookmarked to have a look sometime

may I commend anybody who takes time to make these guides - I've still got soooooooo much to learn myself and am grateful for any help from others

Archived