Radios guide

BrightCandle

Has anyone tried to use phones with bluetooth headsets and push to talk apps like Zello? I was looking around for Bluetooth headsets with push to talk buttons but couldn’t find much. 

The technology is there I am surprised it isn’t used in Airsoft. 

1 hour ago, ParHunter said:

Has anyone tried to use phones with bluetooth headsets and push to talk apps like Zello? I was looking around for Bluetooth headsets with push to talk buttons but couldn’t find much. 

Comms will only be as good as the phone signal though and a lot of sites suffer from poor signal due to location.

I tried it out at home to see whether it would be an option but the problem is that you cannot use the PTT when the phone is locked. You can receive messages when it is locked but if you want to say something you would need to unlock the phone and you don’t want to get your phone out during a game. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters
4 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

With the simple business license, does it cover the people you're playing with on the day or do they all need their own simple business license?

"the Licensee and any person authorised to act on the Licensee’s behalf

On the face of it, it's vague enough that (just for example) UKAPU could buy a licence and authorise any airsofter to use it.

Which would be hugely cheeky, but I doubt that there's any proactive enforcement going on. As long as you're sticking to the allocated frequencies (or PMR frequencies), is anybody ever going to know or care?

34 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

"the Licensee and any person authorised to act on the Licensee’s behalf

On the face of it, it's vague enough that (just for example) UKAPU could buy a licence and authorise any airsofter to use it.

Which is exactly what the UK Scout Assn has done - so yes! Or, this forum could buy a 'crowd funded' licence to be used by all of its members.

But, I completely agree - stick to allocated or PMR frequencies, and from a practical perspective, nothing will happen.

• 3 months later...
On 02/09/2023 at 09:59, ParHunter said:

The Zello handsets are not too expensive, and the setup works well. The trouble often comes in the environments we play in. Bunkers or deep CQB environments are often useless with things like Zello, because the mobile signal is not good enough. In the open outdoors though it works well, the GPS tracking functions are a little added bonus. My team utilise similar comms at times, but I honestly still can't complain about a Baofeng with a decent aerial and good settings. 

Edited by _K4MF_