LIPO Battery first time user

Connieboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm getting my first gun in a couple of weeks and have already purchased a few things,a LIPO battery and charger etc, so I just tested out the charger and charged the battery now I've read I shouldn't leave them fully charged.....is this a problem?

• Supporters

Thanks, Hope your right. Read nothing but stories of ruining the battery, and it should be discharged before storing...

Nein

Lipo Batteries should always be left with an amount of charge in them.

Never discharge them below their rated voltage (normally 3.7V) other wise they swell or go puffy, if they do then they are a potential fire hazard.

As for the memmory effect Lipos dont suffer that too much.

• Head Moderator

Depending on your charger you can set it to give your LiPo a storage charge, I have that feature on my imax B6. After a skirmish I take the battery out of my gun and connect it to the charger and use the storage setting, and the battery is then either given extra charge or discharged to the right level. I then store the battery until next skirmish and then just give it a normal charge.

Nein

Lipo Batteries should always be left with an amount of charge in them.

Never discharge them below their rated voltage (normally 3.7V) other wise they swell or go puffy, if they do then they are a potential fire hazard.

As for the memmory effect Lipos dont suffer that too much.

I don't know how to discharge it at the moment, but was worried about it being fully charged for a few weeks, I don't want it dying on my first outing with the new gun, I only got one battery as I was told it would last the day

• Head Moderator

Always worth having two batteries, that way you have a back-up. Just do not buy one before making sure it actually fits into your gun; some people will remember "crane stock Carl" (not his real name) who wanted to change his gun stock because his already purchased batteries did not fit. Post #339 http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/22692-quick-questions-simple-answers/page-22?hl=carl It kept Sitting Duck and others amused.

Always worth having two batteries, that way you have a back-up. Just do not buy one before making sure it actually fits into your gun; some people will remember "crane stock Carl" (not his real name) who wanted to change his gun stock because his already purchased batteries did not fit. It kept Sitting Duck and others amused.

Already been tested in the gun 👍

Depending on your charger you can set it to give your LiPo a storage charge, I have that feature on my imax B6. After a skirmish I take the battery out of my gun and connect it to the charger and use the storage setting, and the battery is then either given extra charge or discharged to the right level. I then store the battery until next skirmish and then just give it a normal charge.

Mine is just a charger,

Don't leave them discharged, better to store them fully charged if you have a basic trickle balance charger.

If you're storing charged lipos make sure they aren't anywhere that will get too hot like a window ledge, boiler cupboard or above a radiator etc

Invest in a balance charger, you wont regret in, I use mine for all rechargeable batteries, PB,Lithium, Nicad, NiMH, use it on my power tools, drone lipos, RC cars etc etc too.

As said, ideally you should store at a 'storage' voltage ie not completely full. Most batteries contain a number of cells so it makes sense to balance charge ( to ensure all the cells are charged equally)to full just before you use.

Personally I would also use a mosfet with voltage cut out to ensure you don't over discharge during use.

• Supporters

Don't leave them discharged, better to store them fully charged if you have a basic trickle balance charger.

They will swell if stored fully charged. Use it the gun and charge it the day before the next game. Don't overuse it, meaning don't use it until the gun starts to shoot slower. Or if that's the case, charge it a little when you get home. Just 15 minutes or something like that. LiPos don't have memory effect so it is safe to partially charge them.

• Moderators

so reading this then I may need a new charger than the one I got from FS last year? like the imax B6?? , I charge 2 of my 4 day before game (alternate them anyway) then use one in each gun as I swap guns round at lunch (they get upset otherwise)

Then put back in box and left in wardrobe until next time to charge....

So its better to use the charger you have Jedi?​

• Head Moderator

so reading this then I may need a new charger than the one I got from FS last year? like the imax B6??

My experience is only with the imax B6 but I think it is good. Had no problems with it, there are enough options on charging including balance and of course the storage setting. When you consider how much you have spent on guns, why not get a charger that should maintain or improve the life of your batteries. But I would defer to what Sitting Duck says as our resident knowledge mofo LiPo expert :)

so reading this then I may need a new charger than the one I got from FS last year? like the imax B6?? , I charge 2 of my 4 day before game (alternate them anyway) then use one in each gun as I swap guns round at lunch (they get upset otherwise)

Then put back in box and left in wardrobe until next time to charge....

Next time you're at Tuddenham I'll show you the Turnigy chargers. We use the big ones that can do four batteries at once, but they're basically just four units in one box.

I have a Turnigy Accucell 6 which is an awesome bit of kit and will charge all sorts of different batteries, remind me and I'll show you how they work.

• Moderators

cheers D

hopefully soon!

Archived