The UK laws on Airsoft guns within forests

HansMoleman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

Just a quick question about whether or not it is legal to take some BB guns to a forest.

My friends the other day came up with an idea that this payday we should all order BB guns and take them to a national trust forest, as fun as this does sound, it also sounds like we could all get in trouble.

These aren't powerful guns and all cost about £40 and produce about 200 fps, but still it seems as if it would be illegal?

Have tried looking this up but feel it would be better hearing from an active community rather then a 2 year old post on an outdated website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bad in so many ways.

But, here is a simple way:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F1(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

This is one of those strict liability offences, intent is irrelevant. I have highlighted the easiest to apply, C also applies, but is not so straight forward. You commit this offence even if you're not caught!

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_19_firearms_act/

Note: en-route to and from an airsoft game/airsoft shop IS a reasonable excuse.

Thank you Sacarathe,

Considering how serious it is I'm glad I asked, I think because they are all brightly coloured they thought it would all be ok, but I had a feeling it wouldn't.

Thanks again!

If you find land which is not public, it's completely different. I can't say more though.

Looking down the dangerous end of a real mp5 is not a fun experience, believe me.

Dare I ask?

Dare I ask?

Long story... But it involved being in a sensitive place at a sensitive time under a perfectly legitimate set of circumstances which were not immediately obvious to the SO1 officer who very kindly refrained from filling me full of 9x19s. I can only guess at how many marksmen had their sights trained on me as they only sent one officer with an mp5 and a glock 17 to investigate (wonder what he did to pull the short straw lol).

Thankfully I had a legitimate reason to be where I was, doing what I was doing and I wasn't carrying a RIF although in hindsight it may have looked like I was setting up a car bomb :/

Long story... But it involved being in a sensitive place at a sensitive time under a perfectly legitimate set of circumstances which were not immediately obvious to the SO1 officer who very kindly refrained from filling me full of 9x19s. I can only guess at how many marksmen had their sights trained on me as they only sent one officer with an mp5 and a glock 17 to investigate (wonder what he did to pull the short straw lol).

Thankfully I had a legitimate reason to be where I was, doing what I was doing and I wasn't carrying a RIF although in hindsight it may have looked like I was setting up a car bomb :/

Feck!!!

I don't think I would have enjoyed any part of that at all!!

Archived