Tr418 forward assist not working

vialli
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got a g&g tr418 delivered today and after test firing it I noticed that t he forward assist doesnt work .I can see through the tiny gap between top and bottom receiver that something moves when push the forward assist button but obviously it's not catching on whatever it's supposed to catch on.On my ics m4 you can hear a whiring noise when you push the forward assist but this one just clicks.I'd rather fix it myself cos it's to much hassle sending it back so does anyone know what the problem could be.

Cheers.

• Supporters

It's supposed to release the spring, at a guess if the spring isn't far enough back to need releasing it won't do anything...

Phoned zero one (where I got it from) and they said the same that it doesn't need releasing, I'm not convinced though as my ics m4 needs releasein every time I use it.

Getting a bit suspicious about this gun as the bolt release is a bit tempremetal as well and maybe it has been returned because of these issues. The box was in good nick but the polystyrene was in a right state and looked like someone had taken a hammer to it,also the tag that's usually cable tied to the trigger guard was missing and the g&g catalogue had been unwrapped.The good thing so far is that it fires under 328fps so I can use for cqb which is what I wanted it for .

Ive got the same rifle and its a while since I used the forward assist on it, but I dont recall it ever doing anything dramatic, so you might be expecting something thats not going to happen.

On my ics you can hear the whir as the spring releases but on the g&g there is nothing but on YouTube I saw some videos of g&g guns with the working forward assist and you can defenitly hear it when it releases. Not a big deal but when you pay over £300 for a gun you expect everything to work.

thats why I tend to support my local retailers and try not to buy primary guns from far flung retailers or abroad. If Im not happy, I drive the gun down there and discuss it face to face.

Yeah I must admit there's a lot to said for paying a bit more but being being able to take it back if needed. I only got it from Z1 cos they offered the best price.I only bought it cos my ukara was about to expire and i wanted to buy something top of the range rather than buying cheap Chinese guns and upgrading them myself as I've done in the past.

Ive watched that video three times. There is no sound. All I can see is somebody squeezing the trigger and then pressing the forward assist button. What am I looking for ?

• Head Moderator

Ive watched that video three times. There is no sound. All I can see is somebody squeezing the trigger and then pressing the forward assist button. What am I looking for ?

I watched it once which was enough as I had the sound on. When the button is pressed in you can hear a whirring sound as if something is spinning / moving / being released.

[must admit the term forward assist to me is for the L85A1 to make sure the the breach block is fully forward and bolt sealed on chamber. Always though it poor design that a rifle needed that extra drill to ensure it fired properly.]

You need the sound turned up but after he pulse the trigger and presses the forward assist you can hear the whirring of the spring releasing ,my ics makes this sound but the tr418 does nothing.

What is being described here has nothing to do with forward assist on a real steel rifle.

G&G just use the replica control as it is otherwise useless on an airsoft rifle.

I really cant remember this button doing anything on my TR4-18. It pushes in and you can feel a spring action, but no whirring. Perhaps mine doesnt work either.

I cant say Im that bothered really.

Archived