servicing airsoft guns?

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

usually:

What does it entail?

cleanout of old grease/filings/muck

Reshim

check components for wear and tear, notify of anything that looks like it needs replacing.

How often?

tbh, never if it's not got an issue.

If you're having problems, get your tech to clean everything and make it all sweet while you're in the gearbox.

Average price?

eegeggghghhhhh tricky. depends exactly what is done.

some chap on facestupid might charge a tenner but not be very good.

We charge from £30 to open a gearbox at Patrol Base, prices depends on model, exact work done etc.

how often should you have it done?

If you're running a cyma AK and you're really pedantic.. maybe once every 20 years or so.

May wanna clean the barrel every now and again if you got a few spare minutes when you come home from skirmish.

The main thing is the shimming of the gears in the gearbox, if your AEG needs it, it can make a world of difference and extend your AEG's lifespan considerably, the rest you can do yourself with a bit of rubber-friendly silicon oil....

If you've noticed/if you notice a decline in your AEG's performance, then a service is worthwhile :)

Just ask the shop?

I do not believe our guns are serviceable to be honest, they consist of throw away parts that don't really wear out at any critical rate (if not abused)

Hop up rubber and a quick barrel clean is about the only servicable part. Trigger contacts maybe, but not really worth messing until they fail.

If it ain't broke'

• Root Admin

AEGs? Possibly not - the grease is captured and the system is meant to pretty closed to stop dirt getting in. GBBRs and HPA? Absolutely you should service them - seals need lubing and contact surfaces should be kept clean and lubed too. In the case of HPA it can actually be pretty silly not to lube your regulator and seals when needed. One of those failing can see your tank dumping in a matter of minutes.

I'm not quite sure why the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing keeps getting quoted in the case of preventative maintenance. You don't wait for something to break before you fix it - you make sure it has as little chance of breaking in the first place. Especially in the case of crappy tolerance in a lot of BB gats, a bit of silicone here or there goes a really long distance. You can hear the difference in GBBRs in particular once they're been lubed. Just a bit of a clean down and some CLP tends to give a slightly audible RPS increase in something like the older WA design.

• Supporters

I'll agree on aeg - leave it until it breaks or sounds like it ain't right and needs investigating

GBBR's - not got a scooby doo about but sounds right to maintain stuff like seals n stuff

End of day - its about knowing ya gun, if ya aeg works and ya happy then leave it alone

wish I had a quid for every "adjustment" - oooh I think it's f*cked now

but hey ya gotta understand how it breaks (dick user in my case) to set about learning how to fix it

But only if you are confident and understand any slight risks - if it is f*cked then you got nothing to lose by having a go yourself

(it was like that anyway - now I understand how NOT to fix it I can safely say in my defense)

I'm not quite sure why the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing keeps getting quoted in the case of preventative maintenance. You don't wait for something to break before you fix it - you make sure it has as little chance of breaking in the first place.

You don't remove your car Engine to check the piston rings in a service do you?

You check the parts that are likely to wear with normal use.

Of which in an aeg is very few.

• Root Admin

Sure. I'm not disagreeing on the AEG front, but I see it said for pistols, GBBRs and things. Gas magazines as well - people wait for the seals to dry out and blow out before they do anything about them.

Things like cleaning the barrel I'd always recommend. I know a lot of people don't do it, but I've had to clean and polish barrels that haven't been sorted out and you can always tell from the scratched up surface when someone hasn't been taking care of it.

One of the basic things to do on a car service is change the oil. The oil lubricates the engine and traps metal dust which comes from general wear if engine parts.

On an aeg the gearbox contains grease. It's job is to lubricate the moving parts. The gearbox is not filled with grease, it is applied to the moving parts only. As the gears spin grease is gradually flung off the moving parts and deposited onto the casing instead. Add to this the fact that metal dust from the gears and shims wearing gets mixed with the grease you end up with a gearbox which is lubricated by a very effective cutting paste instead of grease. This will cause shims, gears, bearings and casings to wear significantly quicker.

A basic AEG service should include cleaning and regreasing the gearbox. It is also a good time to check the bearings as many aegs use copper bearings rather than ball bearings. These bearings gradually wear over use and require replacing as do the shims, as when they hit a certain wear level the gears will be bearing directly on the inside of the gearbox.

• Supporters

AEG's will just wear out - nowt you can do about that

G&G's bronzey bushings will go in aprox 12 months of regular use - depends on use and how much you cane it

Bearings will never last in tweaked guns - unless you use ceramic's and even then a solid bushing under spur is still advise I'm lead to think

Bushings will last longer but will still wear and also along with bushing/bearing wear the gear's shafts will wear also over time

You may get longer life depending on a number of things - type of bushings, grease used, how much you cane it and deffo how well it is shimmed/assembled

But it will just wear - if it is still going strong after many years - you ain't using it much or putting that many rounds through her imho

(or extremely fortunate)

This is all fine and to be expected - by then ya spring has dropped, ya o-ring on piston is probably knackered

so really it will need a service or partial rebuild anyway in say 12months of regular use maybe 2yrs but I haven't got a crystal ball

you should know ya gun and if she is sounding or performing a bit below par then expect it need investigating

(it ain't like fine wine and improve as it gets older so to speak)

months or bb's put through her.....

could be 12/24 months or 50k/100k of bb's

more if left stock - less if going nutz

Everything inside your gun is constantly wearing out from moment you assemble it it is wearing out....

The plastic tappet rubbing against metal tension by a spring - even if you got a bearing on sector that poor tappet is wearing...

The piston's o-ring when it dries a bit will start wearing very quickly

The spring is losing its tension as it thuds away - more if left pre-cocked

gears/bushings already mentioned those and metal on metal gears is nothing compared to extreme stress the bushing/bearing behind sput is under

smack bang in the middle of bevel-pinion and spring-sector - this is the bastid that wears and cause such failures taking out teeth quicker than any team of rip off dental surgeons could ever imagine....

As long as shell is ok, not cracked, bushings haven't worn the seating oval in box then most stuff isn't really that bad

At this point - this is where the owner could consider their options inside the box

The motor can be changed but these also have a limited life before at least one new set of brushes will be needed

(on a budget - you did keep that old crappy ferrite motor - just in case)

But again motors will die - if you wished you can grind the com but tbh most stuff is easier and less time consuming to just replace at some point

Then again - if gun really craps out - there comes a time where you either get it fixed or move on keeping/selling old faithful for parts etc....

But even brand spanking new mofo gun is starting to wear the moment you pull the trigger....

and so the toy gun risk of failures starts again..........

They will all crap out in the end - might last longer if lucky or assembled/serviced as best as possible but they will crap out in the end

Mount them on a wall, don't use them much but eventually they will crap out - heck some older ones have had the pot metal just crumble away over time

(though think this has a lot to do with how/where they are stored)

End of the day.... So what, service it when it needs and try to make it as good if not better

If the ar$e falls out and it is boned - buy a better gun - at least you had something to compare it to

If it fails - find out why and learn from it, if it don't fail (yet), leave it alone and enjoy it while it lasts

keep shooting - one day you will be the guy with a busted gun so whilst it works keep going

• Supporters

2 things....

Stuff of a few years back was probably made with some real metal inside and may have cost more than the £100 £200 guns of today...

Further more I doubt if they will outlast the Heidelberg Cylinder letterpress in front of me tonight - 55yrs+ built Ike a f*cking tank, doesn't need bolting to floor it is a beast of engineering that will probably still outlast most other machinery in my works place....

2 - Never ever say how well long my car/PC/gun has lasted for...

That is a red flag to the bull of fate, very risky

Yes I'm sure they are good worhorses, but sadly they all still wearing themselves bit by bit though some stuff is built to last longer than others plus a bit of fortune too

• Supporters

The main thing is the shimming of the gears in the gearbox, if your AEG needs it, it can make a world of difference and extend your AEG's lifespan considerably, the rest you can do yourself with a bit of rubber-friendly silicon oil....

If you've noticed/if you notice a decline in your AEG's performance, then a service is worthwhile :)

Just so we're clear, lubricating the inside of your gearbox with silicone oil is like lubricating the inside of your car gearbox with fairy liquid.

Use grease, not oil.

Just so we're clear, lubricating the inside of your gearbox with silicone oil is like lubricating the inside of your car gearbox with fairy liquid.

Use grease, not oil.

Yea, "the rest" meant NOT THE GOD DAMN GEARBOX... just to be clear ;)

TBH if you're asking this question, don't go anywhere near the gearbox, I don't - I'd prefer an experienced tech to go there :P

Archived