First time at gz's airsoft festival

Jolley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so i am 100% going to the event this year it will be my first time.

is there anything i should know i.e. what kind and amount of gear i should bring, how the games go and player styles?

• Head Moderator

What is 'gz'? Where and when is it being held?

Assuming that it is the NAE http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/30329-airsoft-festival-august/?hl=festival

It was a good few years that I went, but from what I remember (things may have changed in recent years)...

Your basically camping in the woods. They do advertise food on site, but it's just a burger van type thing. Make sure you take cooking gear and food.

There is a shop there for any bits you forget guns, ammo etc, but with 2k Players on site you don't want to trust how long they'll stay stocked. Take enough batts and ammo last.

The games are objective based and last all day (9-6 ish). Idea being you can drop in and out as you need to.

There was 3 teams, all who have the same objectives.

- Get into enemies Base and detonate a melon

- Get into Area XYZ and you'll find 3 digital timers...get your teams going and hold it for as long as possible

- find so the majority of the Flags around the site

Etc etc...

Don't expect it to be a huge 1k-on-1k Skirmish recreating D-Day. As soon as it's game on, everyone runs off to do their own thing (like a normal skirmish, really).

There are always teams who go around, but no-one can ever organse the WHOLE team so it's just groups having a laugh.

You'll get a mix of all players, kids with 2 Tones and a single HiCap...and hardcore Milsim Players with more expensive kit than I can dream of. No one seemed to take it too seriously though.

I went in expecting it to be the biggest, most technical game EVER. But realistically it's just a normal skirmish with 100x the people.

I only went as I won 2 Tickets in a raffle.

I'm glad I went once - but I wouldn't go again.

• Supporters

Take your normal skirmish kit, obv. And a sense of humour, it probably wont be the best quality of play you have ever experienced but it is a laugh in its own right and the quantity of people is really something else.

I would play fairly light if I was going again, the heaviest things would be a decent container of water, I took 3l in a camelback and finished it every day ( it was very hot the two years I went) and gun. Go for a few high caps, I took 3 and with so many people there it is easy to step back and refill them. Ammo, a bottle of gas if you must but I didn't bother, you are unlikely to need a secondary as most of the fighting is at range so a couple of spare mags will probably do. you are not allowed burning pyro that's anything standard really, BFG's are pretty much pointless as well so I wouldn't bother carrying them.

The site is massive so my other recommendation would be to have your mobiles fully charged for your team to contact each other to meet up when you inevitably become lost or separated. Also the PMR 446 (non licenced frequencies) become jammed with incessant call tones and people being dicks, the working range drops due to the hills, valleys and trees.

Reducing your need to return to the camp site during play is always a good thing so I carried a small tool kit, with things like spare fuses, a few essential allen keys, a Leatherman, a spare battery and a short length of net curtain rod stuff, you know the metal spring wrapped in plastic stuff, it coils up small and works great for unjamming guns.

Carry a tenner so that when you come back to the camping area you can visit the bar and pick up a cold drink, mmmm beer!

We bbq'd Friday and Saturday, there is a Sainsburys close by so 1 car doing a beer and meat run on sat afternoon means there is less to go rotten while you are playing.

If there are enough of you going, pooling for a private porta loo is quite good we had 15 of us so I think it worked out at something like £5 or £10 each, and a combination lock means you can look after it, one guy brought some toilet wipes and a couple of air freshener blocks. It was all rather civilised.

I've been going since 2011. In the recent years there has been an increasing amount of food stalls on offer (Burger Van, SubWay, Pizza, German stuff etc.), but it's right next to Ringwood Town Centre so I generally go to the Waitrose to get food anyway.

Bring spare guns, extra money, multiple loadouts and plenty of camping gear. I can confirm that a private loo is definately worth it, unless your willing to get up bright and early to use toilets before the other 1800+ people. Even if your not with a group, it's definately worth getting a decent PMR Radio to communicate with others.

There has been a series of thefts over the years, so best to keep phone/keys/wallet on you whilst keeping all spare RIFs in a locked vehicle.

All in all, it's a great weekend and 40% airsoft and 60% social for myself. Getting down bright and early on the Friday, pitching up, go shopping relax with some drinks. Expect noise up until 1am or so, of course there are quiet camping areas, slightly further afield.

Last year I took a backup out with me. It was nice having extra BBs, water, food, tools and more on me as it wasn't very fun walking all the way back to camp every time I needed to do something. They do supply clean water taps for filling hydration bladders just outside the game area, next to the shop.

Our team is going this year think there are about 7 of us so far looking forward to it. I'm not mega fussed about the skirmishing or how good it is I think with over a 1000 players it will be pretty hard to marshal and there will be lots of non hit takers. Mainly going for the social side beers and have a laugh.

Archived