Enjoyment of skirmishing falling short of anticipation

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

I will admit I was thinking of doing a milsim then I saw Cheesy's post about spending 15 hours in a first floor room staring through a camera and thought it sounded a bit too close to being a stalker.

Seriously though I do think more structured games has got to be the way forward whether thats full milsim or filmsim is really down to what you want out of it.

I did the Hungergames 'filmsim' with Gunman the other day, thoroughly enjoyed it, more than a normal skirmish as slightly better planning involved and tactics used, plus more to it than just shoot and skoot :)

Had another example of this feeling on Sunday:

Was really looking forward to playing at RIFT's The Defilade site; as my last game there was brilliant. Andy, who runs the site, is good people.

Got there, it was grey and damp, but I had dressed appropriately.

Chrono'd my A&K PKM - too hot. Suspected it would be, but there you go. It was. Fair enough, back in the bag. I'll use my back up.

My back up, a TM Uzi, jammed first game. Fortunately it was easily fixed - I suspect the HOP rubber was too tight.

But...but...the opposition was accumulating a lot of accusations of non-hit-taking. I suspected it from about 20 minutes in, and four other team-mates voiced their grievances about it too.

Andy was informed and words were had with the accused, but it was still going on until lunchtime. Myself and my team left at lunchtime - we were only doing half days due to other commitments IRL, but the whole experience left me flat, deflated, demotivated to do it all again.

The Defilade is a new site. It is frequented by up-and-coming new players, young players, players who are learning the ropes. It has been running for 15 weeks. And yet, the safe-zone conversation, when the talk of the non-hit-taking player/s was brought up was 'Yeah, it's *REDACTED* but hey, that's *REDACTED* for you..."

The players knew who it was.

The owner knew who it was.

The marshall was pointed towards who it was from game 1.

And yet.

I'm in a quandary. Do I keep supporting a new, local site with vast potential, which is five minutes away from me, with my walk-on fees and attendance. Or do I go back to Ace Combat; an hour's drive away but where I've barely had any reason to suspect non-hit-taking?

• Supporters

Was really looking forward to playing at RIFT's The Defilade site; as my last game there was brilliant. Andy, who runs the site, is good people.

Chrono'd my A&K PKM - too hot. Suspected it would be, but there you go. It was. Fair enough, back in the bag. I'll use my back up.

My back up, a TM Uzi, jammed first game. Fortunately it was easily fixed - I suspect the HOP rubber was too tight.

But...but...the opposition was accumulating a lot of accusations of non-hit-taking. I suspected it from about 20 minutes in, and four other team-mates voiced their grievances about it too.

Andy was informed and words were had with the accused, but it was still going on until lunchtime. Myself and my team left at lunchtime - we were only doing half days due to other commitments IRL, but the whole experience left me flat, deflated, demotivated to do it all again.

The Defilade is a new site. It is frequented by up-and-coming new players, young players, players who are learning the ropes. It has been running for 15 weeks. And yet, the safe-zone conversation, when the talk of the non-hit-taking player/s was brought up was 'Yeah, it's *REDACTED* but hey, that's *REDACTED* for you..."

And yet.

I'm in a quandary. Do I keep supporting a new, local site with vast potential, which is five minutes away from me, with my walk-on fees and attendance. Or do I go back to Ace Combat; an hour's drive away but where I've barely had any reason to suspect non-hit-taking?

You should stick your name down for the mall on the 11th of June.

Airsoft without any issues of a normal day.

• Supporters

Get the PKM down in FPS and rinse him until he takes his hits.

Seriously though - I agree with Hudson really, stick with it for a bit (the chances of the same guy being there EVERY time you are is quite slim I would imagine and if nothing changes, go elsewhere. Let the owner know why though.

Oh, I know Andy is great.

I spoke to him at length before I left and he was tearing his hair out.

I suggested 'Marshall Law' or in-bedded Marshalls could help.

I have no doubt that Andy is on the case...but still, the experience wasn't as good as it could be.

I've got to that point with regular skirmishes as well. I tend to only attend themed game days, pistol nights or milsim events nowadays. Skirmishes aren't as fun as they used to be - perhaps it's the novelty of the hobby finally wearing off for me (after god only knows how many years).

I really would love to do some pistol only games.

I think it would speed up games, yet also bring more stealth into play.

Just haven't come across any sites that seem to entertain such activities...

It does massively which is why I attend them when I can at my local site (The Gaol, Oakham). Adds a whole new dimension to gameplay and gives you the chance for some proper stealth gameplay.

It does massively which is why I attend them when I can at my local site (The Gaol, Oakham). Adds a whole new dimension to gameplay and gives you the chance for some proper stealth gameplay.

Unless someone's rocking a gas NBB on hpa....

I really would love to do some pistol only games.

I think it would speed up games, yet also bring more stealth into play.

Just haven't come across any sites that seem to entertain such activities...

We ran our first gas and spring only day last month and it was awesome fun. The games were kept short and dynamic to avoid the stalemates that can occur in long games with limited ammo.

Our night games are a similar sort of idea, we have one coming up in a few weeks at Tuddenham if you fancy giving it a go.

I've been meaning to go and give the Gaol night games a go as it's not too far from me and on a Wednesday night (as I'm busy every weekend running games). I've heard good things about them so I'm looking forward to it when I get the chance.

And yet.

As I said mate come try out Worthing if you have the time. It's 5 minutes from my place and the marshals are generally pretty good i've not seen problems like this really, the last 2 months as well they have REALLY improved with the way they are set up and it's generally a proper laugh.

Also I second what Triggerhappy said, come to the mall I plan on going pistol only it's going to be a blast :P

• Supporters

Also I second what Triggerhappy said, come to the mall I plan on going pistol only it's going to be a blast :P

You would be better with a rifle or smg the mall is cqb but its a big place with a lot of longish range areas. You can do pistol only but it does put you at a disadvantage. Not that I mind its just another easy kill.

• Head Moderator

You would be better with a rifle or smg the mall is cqb but its a big place with a lot of longish range areas. You can do pistol only but it does put you at a disadvantage. Not that I mind its just another easy kill.

I will often play a couple of games at The Mall with only a pistol and they are fun, a different dynamic to using a rifle, but I would not spend the whole day pistol only.

Not that I mind its just another easy kill.

Team kills don't really count mate :D

Well i do have my G&G UMP but it's more convenient to carry a pistol, we shall see. I mean I will have 15 odd grenades on me so maybe i'll save them all for you see how your judgement can dodge :P

This is a point. However it could also mainly be down to the players that are regular. Luckily it seems to mostly be everyone playing to have a laugh at the places i've played so there's always good banter to be had.

Archived