Is this barrel suitable?

Albiscuit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My tinkering has reached a point where I need to make a decision about my G&G combat machine.

I have the CQB version and would like some more range and better accuracy.

My barrel lentgh is 233mm but want to extend this. I always use a silencer so am happy with a longer inner barrel being hidden in one but my questions are as follows:

1) Will this work with the factory hop chamber?

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/laylaxprometheus-delta-strike-barrel-318mmmasada-short-ver

2) Would i need to change anything else to get this working?

I plan on a better Hop and Bucking anyway.

Thanks.

Guest PT247

You'll end up with around 200fps on that barrel with a wombat machine. I'd not recommend that wide a wide bore on an AEG. I fitted an Orga WBB to my DMR and even with an M150 spring it was only just about managing 340-350fps. On a wombat machine get a prommy 6.03 barrel, a decent bucking, PTFE tape the bucking and maybe a fancy hop nub. Buy a better gun if you want to do more mods than that. An out the box Krytac will out perform an upgraded G&G CM and have solid reliability designed for the strains on the internals.

It should work; but you'll need either the specific Straight bucking to match, or to trim the inner aligning groove off whatever bucking you put in it.
As a heads up; I bought one of these for my 74U and just couldn't get it to feed no matter what; whilst the one in my G3 fed without problem.

You'll end up with around 200fps on that barrel with a wombat machine. I'd not recommend that wide a wide bore on an AEG. I fitted an Orga WBB to my DMR and even with an M150 spring it was only just about managing 340-350fps. On a wombat machine get a prommy 6.03 barrel, a decent bucking, PTFE tape the bucking and maybe a fancy hop nub. Buy a better gun if you want to do more mods than that. An out the box Krytac will out perform an upgraded G&G CM and have solid reliability designed for the strains on the internals.

Not necessarily; I fitted one to my SG-1 and only ended up with an FPS drop of about 15-20fps from the standard barrel.

Guest PT247

Only got my own experience to go by and the above results are what I had.... the gun in question with a 6.05 PDI barrel and an M125 spring has an fps of 410 so in my case I dropped my spring power to 83% but gained 60fps with the PDI compared with the 6.23WBB I had fitted with the M150 spring! :-)

No no no no

Sorry.. Totally fucked that up..

it should be a tightbore barrel not that link.. :angry:

Im a dumbass apologies, no wonder it seemed different. Not having a good day lol

. Buy a better gun if you want to do more mods than that. An out the box Krytac will out perform an upgraded G&G CM and have solid reliability designed for the strains on the internals.

Its on the horizon, but as I have stripped the womble down and lost a piece I figured to tinker a bit to get it working and a better performance. Dont fancy spending more than that to be honest!

they are good barrels but you need the right set up to get the most out of them.

Grab a Prommy 6.03

Bit more than what I wanted to spend. have my eye on a 300mm madbull one at the mo as Madbull and Prommy is what I hear people talking about!

Guest PT247

I'd not bother with the madbull either. Save a little longer and buy better. As it is a longer barrel you are after than what you have currently then buy one that is the right length for an AEG you aspire to owning, that way when you can afford a new rifle you'll be able to put in the barrel in that too! :-)

• Supporters

or

now these are 300mm which is probably the max you can use unless changing cylinder

have a look at your blue cylinder and you might see the port

measure port to front of cylinder should be 43mm to 44mm to front of cylinder aprox

take off 15mm once AoE done and do a load of maths....

your volume should get you up to 300mm length - well 43 - 15 = 28 but lets go with tbb & perfect seals 30 or 300mm max

Tornado is maybe a wise choice, crowning looks decent and good reviews

I'm using one in my FFR but not done really intense testing yet but looked briefly quite nice firing off some rounds in garden

The barrel's hop window seems a nice size too, some barrels have quite small windows but seems a nice budget barrel imho

Yes Prommy or PDI or others but tbh we are talking about a Raider ffs

so a £45 barrel and perhaps a £20+ cnc hop + various buckings & nubs - c'mon do you wanna spend about £65+ ??

ak2m4 normally stocks zci barrels but atm his latest shipment is behind schedule for shipping from Hong Kong

otherwise I'd say get a 300m zci barrel - maybe contact him first and see when he might get a 275 to 300mm max zci in ???

carefully remove old stuff, check green bucking, maybe a soak in warm soapy (washing up liquid) water if dirty but leave to dry

(I said warm not hot water)

don't lose nub or if you do biro nub perhaps

a bit of silicone grease/oil to slide it all back together - possible fine wrap of ptfe tape on top

(google some vids ffs)

bob's ya uncle / Fanny's ya aunt - should show some improvement for a modest invest on a modest gun

that is probably as far as I'd consider taking it unless you opt for maple leaf or a flat hop if still not happy

• Supporters

I can do one better. Don't get precision barrel.

Those give the least result for the money. They are one of the worst upgrades.

Get a good bucking. Maple leaf monster with the concave nub.

Clean the barrel while you are at it. You can go for a cnc hopup unit, but shimming the hopup unit against the body will also increase your accuracy greatly.

Use 0.28+, good quality BBs. This is the single most important upgrade for accuracy.

Using longer barrel will not give more accuracy. But if you do, then don't forget that you need to match the cylinder volume to the barrel volume regarding the weight of the BBs you are using.

The shipment of ZC barrels should leave HK tomorrow (fingers crossed). Along with other sizes I'll be getting in 285mm and 300mm (I say should this is China we're talking about here, but ZCI are pretty good on their orders).

If you want give me a shout I'll sort you out with a special forum price for the barrel and Prowin hop unit.

Thanks guys.. All info taken on board.

I know what your saying ducky about it only being a raider but I figured I would tinker as its my first gun and plan on a better in the near future so wouldnt mind messing with it a bit.

I could always put it back to stock if needed (hopefully)

I get what is being said about barrels, but surely a better aftermarket barrel is better than the standard one in there?

And shout out to whoever said get a barrel which will be the same length of my next gun, actually didnt think that far ahead but a totally valid point!!

I guess im just trying to do to much for too little on a gun thats probably not needing it, but feel I should know how all this voodoo airsoft magic works

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to follow certain bits of advice...

I found a c clip in a local store (to replace the one I lost) which fit so did not need to replace the hop unit. I will replace the bucking at some point, but cleaned out the barrel and used it at the weekend and FPS was back up to 310ish and shot pretty well compared to the last issues. So I guess the cleaning and taking apart/realigning it all again helped a lot it seemed!

I wont be replacing the barrel as I plan on getting a better gun shortly and figure theres no point spending more money than I need too on a gun that will be relegated soon.

• Supporters

I get what is being said about barrels, but surely a better aftermarket barrel is better than the standard one in there?

This is relevant to highlight actually - a lot of aftermarket parts aren't always better than stock. A perfect example elsewhere on this forum is the user that has swapped the stock Krytac hop (which is pretty damn near perfect) with an aftermarket Prowin one. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Prowin but changing something for the sake of it is at best a waste of time and money and at worst can screw up a guns performance completely.

If the barrel in your gun is straight and works OK (decent enough groupings/range etc) then leave it alone. It kinda reminds me of the old "performance" mods that I remember from my youth in hot hatches. There's no point putting a K&N induction kit and a widebore stainless race exhaust on a Fiesta 950. Equally there's little sense in "upgrading" a Combat Machine with a PDI barrel, sooner or later you're just sprinkling glitter on a turd.

This is relevant to highlight actually - a lot of aftermarket parts aren't always better than stock. A perfect example elsewhere on this forum is the user that has swapped the stock Krytac hop (which is pretty damn near perfect) with an aftermarket Prowin one. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Prowin but changing something for the sake of it is at best a waste of time and money and at worst can screw up a guns performance completely.

If the barrel in your gun is straight and works OK (decent enough groupings/range etc) then leave it alone. It kinda reminds me of the old "performance" mods that I remember from my youth in hot hatches. There's no point putting a K&N induction kit and a widebore stainless race exhaust on a Fiesta 950. Equally there's little sense in "upgrading" a Combat Machine with a PDI barrel, sooner or later you're just sprinkling glitter on a turd.

Thats what I figured. My main motive was

A) to put right losing the clip under the hop unit, Figured I might as well replace the whole thing

B) Put in a longer/better barrel for better accuracy and range

C) learn to tinker and what goes where and how stuff works

But I picked up a clip fairly cheap and was easy to replace, barrels are quite expensive in comparison and figured Id leave the hop alone for now as pointed out the stock ones pretty good.

I learnt how to disassemble the internal hop/barrel parts which freaked me out at first but is ridiculously simple so thats a bonus.

I feel better prepared in the future with internals now, I know I have asked a lot of questions and mostly the same questions worded differently :rolleyes: but from here and elsewhere advice has been conflicting.

But the gun works better now, I am confident in taking guns apart in the future so alls well that ends well.!!

Archived