New to airsoft, what sort of gear/gun budget am i looking at if i am looking for entry level gear

Siggy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have only recently tried to become involved in this sport, i am practicing at a nearby club with rental gear and am looking to invest into airsofting.

I currently own no air-soft specific gear, i own goggles and helmets for snowboarding but im unsure that im even allowed to use them, so im pretty much starting out from scratch

I currently don't have that much to spend, so im looking for a rough estimate on what sort of price-tag id be looking at if i want the basic entry level gear/guns/accessories etc,

nothing too fancy or over the top, just the right amount of gear that can be acceptable

Im unsure as to the sort of gear i need, as far as it occurs to me that seems to just be eye-ware, guns and pouches, as well as spare ammo, but i could be completely wrong.

Would really appreciate advice on what to expect when buying gear, and what sort of sites i should be looking at. Im not to familiar with the differences between battery and gas powered rifles,

so im pretty much indifferent when it comes to using them.

Many thanks guys.

Welcome Siggy, I would recommend reading this, its a really informative guide that will answer to most of your questions. The goggles for snowboarding don't offer the protection required by airsoft so you'll better get some proper gear that will give you adequate protection. You can imagine every day people decide to venture into this sport and most of the guys here get frustrated when they have to answer same question every single day. Browser all the sticky topics and use the search function, you'll find plenty of relevant topics that I'm sure will give you an answer to what you're looking for.

Welcome to the forums, Siggy!

As Sico said, have a browse over the stickies - they'll offer a tonne of info.

Although a lot of people like to spend big bucks on gear, it's all down to personal preference. Better gear doesn't necessarily make you a better player.

The main things you need are

- A Gun. Personally I'd stick to AEGs (electric) as a new player. Gas tends to be more expensive and needs a lot more knowhow. Most AEG's are plug-and-play. You'll be looking to spend around £150ish. The Classifieds here are good to get a bargain - but you'll need UKARA or a 2-Tone.

Generally you'll want to avoid anything that's sub-£100...and never buy from any site that's called justBBgunz or BBGunsforless or anything like that - they'll be useless and break before you get to play.

-Eye Pro. I've got a Sansia Mesh Mask that cost around £20. Never let me down. It's not tacticool, but it keeps me safe. Full Face is advised by most sites, but not essential. Don't risk your Snowboard goggles. Chances are they're not ballistic.

-Assault Vest or similar. With most things, find what's comfy and does the job. I have an LA Assault Vest. Carries 12x M4 mags and not much else - but it's never let me down. Cost £20 new.

-Boots. You'll need something with Ankle support. In woodland it's easy to trip and in CQB you can slide on spent BBs. You don't want to end your day early with a busted ankle. You can get a pair of Army Issue boots for about £30 if you can bear to break them in - or spend anything up to £200 for all-singing-all-dancing boots. Just remember that you need grip and support.

You'll need a few hundred quid to start up with the most basic of gear.

If your a casual player like me (once or twice a months - just in it for sh@ts and giggles) you can get away with cheap gear.

If your looking to get serious (playing weekly, playing *hard*...Milsim Events etc) you'll need to pay out for some "better" gear.

I've often heard that to can't play Airsoft on a small budget, but I'm inclined to disagree.

I have cheap gear, a fair bit of it is self-repaired or 2nd hand. I may not look the best, but I have a laugh and that's what counts (IMHO)

Welcome to the forums, Siggy!

As Sico said, have a browse over the stickies - they'll offer a tonne of info.

Although a lot of people like to spend big bucks on gear, it's all down to personal preference. Better gear doesn't necessarily make you a better player.

The main things you need are

- A Gun. Personally I'd stick to AEGs (electric) as a new player. Gas tends to be more expensive and needs a lot more knowhow. Most AEG's are plug-and-play. You'll be looking to spend around £150ish. The Classifieds here are good to get a bargain - but you'll need UKARA or a 2-Tone.

Generally you'll want to avoid anything that's sub-£100...and never buy from any site that's called justBBgunz or BBGunsforless or anything like that - they'll be useless and break before you get to play.

-Eye Pro. I've got a Sansia Mesh Mask that cost around £20. Never let me down. It's not tacticool, but it keeps me safe. Full Face is advised by most sites, but not essential. Don't risk your Snowboard goggles. Chances are they're not ballistic.

-Assault Vest or similar. With most things, find what's comfy and does the job. I have an LA Assault Vest. Carries 12x M4 mags and not much else - but it's never let me down. Cost £20 new.

-Boots. You'll need something with Ankle support. In woodland it's easy to trip and in CQB you can slide on spent BBs. You don't want to end your day early with a busted ankle. You can get a pair of Army Issue boots for about £30 if you can bear to break them in - or spend anything up to £200 for all-singing-all-dancing boots. Just remember that you need grip and support.

You'll need a few hundred quid to start up with the most basic of gear.

If your a casual player like me (once or twice a months - just in it for sh@ts and giggles) you can get away with cheap gear.

If your looking to get serious (playing weekly, playing *hard*...Milsim Events etc) you'll need to pay out for some "better" gear.

I've often heard that to can't play Airsoft on a small budget, but I'm inclined to disagree.

I have cheap gear, a fair bit of it is self-repaired or 2nd hand. I may not look the best, but I have a laugh and that's what counts (IMHO)

Thanks for the advice, im probably going to wait a couple months before investing anyway, just so im assured that i enjoy airsoft enough to start putting money into it.

Thanks for the advice, im probably going to wait a couple months before investing anyway, just so im assured that i enjoy airsoft enough to start putting money into it.

Best way to do it.

Rent at your local site for a few games to get a feel for the game and the kit.

While your there, get chatting to the guys - most of us are quite happy to show off gear. It gives you a chance to see, in the flesh, what's out there. Some stuff looks great online, but to actually try it on/use it you'll find you just can't get on with it. I Iove the look of plate carriers, but I find them very uncomfortable to wear. Fortunately i tried them before I bought :-)

Once you've rented a few Games, you'll be able to get UKARA registered which means you can buy RIFs and not have to get them 2Toned 😃

Best way to do it.

Rent at your local site for a few games to get a feel for the game and the kit.

While your there, get chatting to the guys - most of us are quite happy to show off gear. It gives you a chance to see, in the flesh, what's out there. Some stuff looks great online, but to actually try it on/use it you'll find you just can get on with it.

Once you've rented a few Games, you'll be able to get UKARA registered which means you can buy RIFs and not have to get them 2Toned

Il do some asking around when i get there, ive heard alot of similar suggestions from friends of mine who do airsoft, i guess i will just have to wait and see, thanks for the help :)

Hey, welcome to the forums.

The rest of the guys have pretty much answered your questions already.

I will say though I'm a new player myself & ive spent around £500 on equipment, guns, clothing, protection etc.

Best piece of advice I can give you is don't scrimp on eye protection.

Archived