Is using a red dead rag a good idea?

Jedi_Master
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

I attended a milsim lite at Longmoor a few weeks ago, run by Airborne Airsoft, and they used medic rules and everyone had to carry a red dead / kill rag. On being hit you sat or lay down and could call for a medic. For the first hit another team member had 5 minutes in which to apply a field dressing to you (generally the arm) before you bled out and had to return to respawn. Once you were hit a second time, you were deemed dead and took out your dead rag and walked back to respawn with the rag visible.

I liked the use of the red rag to show that you were dead because it was visually very effective and stopped unnecessary shots on dead players. With only 600 rounds total did not want to waste BBs. Also while sat down awaiting a medic you could put the red cloth on you to show that you were wounded which meant the other team did not keep shooting you, of course you were still watched so that they could then shoot the medic attempting to help you. I took a fair few hits while trying to medic other players back into the game.

I think that a dead rag could be used at many sites (dependant on light levels, so no good down in the Bunker) and would help show who is out of play. I remember being at GreenOps and both teams getting annoyed when they were 'dead' and standing at edge of game zone and still being hosed down by the other team who did not realise or care.

So what are your thoughts on using a red dead rag? I believe it is a good idea.

• Supporters

I think it's a really good idea. Come across tons of players that vaguely call themselves hit(things like half raising your arm in the air) so they can get away with coming back into the game without respawning.

Reducing cases of people shooting dead players would also be a benefit, but mainly because it would stop people cheating in the way i've described.

Personally i'd like it to be encouraged at all sites as the only downside I can see is you need to carry a red rag around with you.

• Supporters

I've been to games where they've been used and found them to be really effective. Even better though they mean you can mark yourself as dead without having to keep your arm in the air for the whole walk back to the respawn point, just stick your dead-rag on your head and you're good to go :)

• Supporters

think I got 1 - maybe 2 from LWA 99p G&G ones free from e-wallet a while back but never used 'em

it is a mainly American thing I think - didn't think it was used over here so never bothered

but wtf - I'd use it to clearly identify I'm $hit/shot as I think it helps to avoid the rows if getting auto'd whilst walking back to regen

I'm dead - well get ya arm up - it was up - not fully up - f*ck me what is this school time "please sir can I re-gen" - well I didn't see your arm - wtf have your goggles fogged up or still got caps on the end of ya scope ffs - marshal he is not taking his hits - right I'm calling my mummy ...........

My site has always used them, although we rarely have more than 30/40 players on site, most of which are regular, and it's just standard 'go and have fun' airsoft, not milsim - so although they are useful, most people just get by with an arm in the air and the occasional curse word if they get hit while they're already dead :)

I can see how useful it would be with 100's of players on site though!

• Supporters

I like the idea of the dead rags, I've just never got around to getting one. In a night game I was once at we used glowsticks in team colours to mark ourselves as dead. Worked really well!

I also like how Ucap sandpit use their velcro armbands in a similar fashion. Start on your right arm, get hit and you can be medic'd. It then goes on your left arm, get hit again and your dead and your armband goes on your head! :D

It would be handy at some of the sites I go to. Too many times I've seen a guy just standing in the middle of the game zone, and watched him through my scope for a few minutes wondering if he's in the game or not. No arm up, but also not participating in the game. Is he about to go back to the respawn, or is he about to shoulder his weapon as soon as he sees me? So I normally give them a shot to 'encourage' them to get out of the game zone if they're not playing.

And they normally either ignore it, or start making obscene gestures. I guess that means they consider themselves out, but have been standing around talking so long that their arm's got tired. So I suppose it would be useful to have a visual indicator for those who get distracted and forget the whole 'go straight back to the respawn' thing.

• Head Moderator

If the elite force ones didnt have their silly branding i'd have bought one. Still, not as bad as the G&G ones.

Just buy a red flannel or washcloth from a supermarket, right size no branding and cheap. Or use one of your silk cravats like many of us do ;)

I think something is better then hand up shouting dead.. Lost count of the times I have been shot whilst standing there waiting for a medic or on my way back to spawn.

I really pissed someone off last weekend as I kept popping him while he was standing on a tower/structure thingy as I couldnt hear him shout hit, and he was waiting to climb down (someone else was on the ladder).

In my defence I did not see his hand go up above his head once, so I kept shooting him thinking he was not taking hit hits.

It seems this visual indicator is more effective than most current systems.

When I first started playing many years ago my local site (Free Fire Zone at Nassington) used yellow barrel socks. Worked a treat but people used to take them home and forget to bring them back (I've probably still got one somewhere, sorry John). They were affectionately known as "condoms of shame" lol

In the Okto Eight games, red flannels are used, it also means players can choose to stay lying dead in the field after bleeding out to watch how a firefight pans out without causing confusion or being hosed.

I'll be using mine from oktos game weekend at my local site. It's been suggested but if someone is doing it anyway then it'll catch on. Can't be that hard identity someone dead using it even if you've never been to a milsim event

I'll be keeping it in my plate carrier & will get some for my son's to use

I was also at this event.

It was a new thing that they thought they would try, and it worked extremely well.

Was definitely more visible at distance and through a hedge. There was no way I would of seen a hand up, but the dead rag saved him from getting lit up by my gpmg.

As for buying dead rags, don't buy pre made ones as they are generally a rip off. As already suggested, I just used a red hand towel, which cost me 1.89p at wilko. Cut it in half and got two rags out of it.

@jedi_master, which team were you? I was one of the London ghosts that played on vendetta.

• Head Moderator

@jedi_master, which team were you? I was one of the London ghosts that played on vendetta.

I was in an AFUK fire team with Randymanpipe, Shortman and Deebo and one other on the NATO side. We were a support group with 3 x LMG at the start but by midway were only using rifles. Spent a lot of the day trying to take a house with white door that dominated our axis from regen to crashed helicopter to railway line. Once we lost the main village after first hour it all went downhill.

Sounds like building 8 or 9. I was in building 6 stopping a fair chunk of Nato from being able moving from the other side of the bank by the train.

Later there was a group trying to make their way down the main street from the helicopter, but I think they gave up, as I was laying down so much suppressing fire, that I got semi nicknamed Gandalf (you shall not pass). I do believe it was caught on another teams go pro.

Yeah, you guys weren't the only ones that it went a bit to the wind.

Our team kept getting comm issues, had a few task issues, then to top it we were returning from a secret task to all be killed by blue on blue.

But the worst of all was when my gpmg ammo tin decided to have a firework show!. My Li-Po shorted somehow and exploded. Completely gutting my custom made box mag and all the feed system. Had to drop down to my Mk46. was not in a good mood after that!

I play mostly CQB with darkish areas. I've started to use a green Vlite marker on top of my helmet (green as the site runs both red and blue teams) and it has worked well so far. The odd call of "dead man on the green" light helps too.

Edit : also worked brilliantly at a night game on eastmere training village. Meant I could jog back to spawn happily.

• Moderators

interesting.....

only heard about these things but recent filmsim with Gunman @ Tuddenham, I got to experience the medic rule and actually enjoyed it more than regular skirmish.....Doug I seem to have accumulated more than 2 bandages that day, people kept leaving them lying around or attached to foilage!......

i'll bring them back in a few weeks :)

interesting.....

only heard about these things but recent filmsim with Gunman @ Tuddenham, I got to experience the medic rule and actually enjoyed it more than regular skirmish.....Doug I seem to have accumulated more than 2 bandages that day, people kept leaving them lying around or attached to foilage!......

i'll bring them back in a few weeks :)

You'd better, those were really expensive high quality props and totally not old bedsheets torn into strips...

Archived