FPS drop n poor range

Albiscuit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My Combat Raider have dropped quite a bit of FPS as I found out yesterday. It was crono'ing around 220fps which seems pretty poor and certainly not as high as it has been. It has not been used since August last year approx but otherwise was working ok.

The only other thing I noticed was a poor range but this would be down to the FPS.

I plan on cleaning out the barrel at some point but wondered if there was anything else I should look for??

Its high time I started tinkering myself rather than take it to the shop.

I would like to potential increase the FPS to around legal site use, so 330fps and have a better range/accuracy. I know a new hop system/rubber type thingy would be needed and will look into all this as well as a p[possible new barrel as I want to try to do what I can but do not want to spend too much as its a cheap gun and dont really want to double the cost of it with new parts (its already carrying more than its base cost in gun bling lol) and I am thinking of buying something better in the very near future anyway but dont mind tinkering with this as a little project to cut my teeth as it were.

Any tips or pointers would be helpful. Like I say Im willing to research most bits myself but pointers would be great! Thx

Firstly give the barrel a damn good clean.

Took my JG M4 out after 4yrs in the loft.

First Chrono it was between 230-300fps. Cleaned it up and have roughly 320ish now.

As for accuracy & range:

Following advice from guys on here (Profffrink and Hudson, I believe) I've just dropped in a decent barrel and new hop bucking. Both Prometheus, bought off ebay (£40 for the barrel and £7 for hop bucking).

Such an easy swap around that even I managed to do it myself 😃

Some decent, heavyweight (.28g) BBs should help too (invested in G&G Perfects)

Haven't tested it yet, but it should improve range and accuracy. The tightbore barrel may give a little more FPS, but nothing too much (about 5/10fps).

When you remove mag does one bb stay in the barrel or drop down through feed? And is it position directly in the middle?

Im pretty sure I looked inside the magwell on sunday after changing mags (one was feeding erratically) Im sure I saw one left in there....

Certainly will look at tinkering with the other bits and look for some guides.

Thanks...

If you have not used the gun for 6 months then the lubrication inside the cylinder may well have dried out and therefore the piston seal isn't working properly, meaning you have air blowing back past the piston instead of down the barrel. Try dropping a few drops of silicon oil down into the cylinder from the gap at the back of the gearbox where you can see the spring, or into the cylinder through the slot if you have a vented cylinder. Swish it around so that it gets down to the piston seal, then leave it for 12-24 hours to soak in. Then run it for a couple of cycles with the inner barrel and hop removed (to make sure you don't send any silicon on to the hop rubber) and then refit and re-chrono. You may find it's gone back to where it used to be FPS wise.

Barrel was a bit manky. Gave it a clean, but during my tinkering I decided to take it apart and seem to have messed up a rubber component which fits on the rear of the barrel and a plastic bit which goes under the hop system has plinked across the room never to be found again :unsure:

So I guess I gota pull my finger out and get on with this now haha Or next skirmish I am using a pistol and plastic lightsabre!

• Root Admin

Come on man, this is chairsoft basics!

The rubber bit to the rear of the barrel is the 'bucking'. It's what gives the BBs lift by applying friction to the top of the BB, spinning it backwards during flight and keeping it aloft. The small rubber bit is the 'nub' - it sits between the arm and the bucking and is important to get the correct spread of downforce across your bucking. You can make one if you need to, but there are loads of guides on that online. Bits of a ballpoint pen ink reservoir or electrical wire with the copper removed work well.

Did you not look up a video or something before piling in? Lesson learned I hope.

• Supporters

yup biro mod or wd40 red tube will work at a push...

biro is perhaps better as it seems to a bit thicker and harder

done it a couple of times if nub was lost or looked crap

As proffink says there are loads of stuff out there plus ptfe tape used in a couple of places to help seal

ANY gun will eventually need some TLC or servicing, this is just the kind of stuff you need to research and understand

all part of the "fun" - some work well, some not so well, but most of it is how you go about it

as long as you got some basic common sense most stuff isn't that difficult, might take a couple of goes but should get it in the end

Yeah I have been looking at it all.. I know what I need. Just did not realise the bottom piece would do an escaping act like that <_< I have had it out and apart before I guess I just was unlucky.

The bucking seems ok, just not sure if I have fitted it back on correctly. But while its out I plan on changing a few bits and maybe plonking in a tighter barrel.

BTW it wasnt the nub which got lost. There was a plastic bit on the bottom of the hop up outer which now exposes the bucking. I think its a C Clip??

Oh, the barrel retention clip? Find that; those are pretty damn hard to buy.

Hmm.. I wish.. if only it was the sitting room. I would find it in an instant. Unfortunately it was in the bedroom which has been a bombsite for a few days due to sorting out storage.. Its doubtful as I dont even know which direction it went :wacko:

I shall have a proper look tomo but not holding out for much hope.. or hitting up Airsofter2015 lol

Zero one seem to have the original one.. http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=8775

Would a different complete unit make much of a difference?

meh ----

Typed an essay but realised I actually know the answers to what im asking.. Its late and im tired. forgive me :P

Archived