Magazine locking problem.

ghostwalker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks. I got a nice shiny new G&G GC predator today along with 5 new g&g 120rd midcaps m4 magazines.

The stock 300rd mag that comes with the gun fits fine and locks in place.

But the 120rd mid caps don't seem to lock into the magwell. In fact it seems the magazine 'latch' isn't locking into the magazine at all, almost as if the magazine is a fraction too long.

Looking at both the magazine types I noticed 2 things.

The 300rd supplied mag doesn't have the little 'step' that's present below the locking point on the midcaps, it also appears to have a slightly larger indented area than the 120rd midcaps.

I'm wondering if there is any easy fix for these problems or is it a case of the m4 magazines just not being compatible with this gun :(

The midcap is the tan bottomed left side mag, the mag that came with the predator is the right side.

post-11117-0-77304300-1460212390_thumb.jpeg

First try to file down the top of the indent a little bit. (That is what helped me with g&g)

If it doesnt work...

Does the midcap wobble in the magwell? Left-right?

If yes on the other side of the mag put some (chemical metal) it is something like epoxy.

First make quite deep scratches on the mag and then put a little layer of chemical metal. Then let it dry. When it is dry and hard file it untill it perfectly fits into the magwell with no wobble. Mine fits with no wobble and when I put some silicone oil in the magwell it gets very smooth and it can be released only when i press the mag release.

PICTURE <<<<<The grey bits on the left top side of the mag>>>>>

post-12414-0-26390200-1460216731_thumb.jpg

The mags do wobble in the well. But then the mag catch isn't actually engaging with the magazine, which I think is the core of the problem. I'm just not sure if it's a case of the mag being slightly too long or the 'indent' that the catch locks into, not being high enough

Do the first step which is file the top of the mag indent and if it is still not locking put some tape on the other side (the side without indent) of the mag and adjust the thickness of the layer so it sits with no wobble if it still doesn't lock in the well, Then idk what to do.

Take the top part of the receiver off of the gun so that you can see down into the magwell, but put or hold the inner barrel and hop unit back on to the nozzle, so that you have the right position for the mag to sit. Then push one of the non-holding mags into the magwell and see where it sits in relation to the mag catch. It might then hold fine, but because it has pushed up the hop unit as the hop is no longer held town tightly by the top receiver. If it is too far away from the catch, but the indent is high enough in to hold, then do what was said earlier and put some tape or similar on the opposite side of the mag to push it over. If the indent is sitting too low, then as also said before, file or scrape away about 1mm of the top edge of the indent until the mag will hold cleanly.

I have had a problem previously where midcaps would not fit and hold because the feed tube of the hop was just a but too long and stopped about 3mm short of the catch. A new hop unit cured the problem.

A little update.

Having tested a few magazines from friends. G&g, cheap stanag mags, and another brand something like dynamic arms. Then having the same problem with all of them. I went on a bit of a dig around the Internet.

It seems there's plenty of folk having dramas with their predators and magazine compatibility. But one thing I was able to get, was feedback that Beta project and hexmag midcaps seemed to work ok.

So I ordered 1 of each and waited.

1st to arrive was the beta project magazine. 140rd midcap priced at £11 each. Cheap enough. Visually pretty normal. Fit wise they needed a little coaxing past the magazine release catch, but locked in without any drama. A little bit of magazine wobble but hey they fitted which seemed like a holy grail moment.

I loaded them up with some .20 bb's and set up a target to test the mags feeding. Initially they needed a tap to get them feeding, but this could have been the newness of them. Once they started feeding though, they worked flawlessly, happily letting my predator blast away in rapid single, 3 round burst and full auto.

Today the hexmag arrived.

Now I'm a tad biased towards these as I think they are Gucci as heck. But here goes.

120rd midcap, priced at £14.99 a mag. Still fairly cheap but £4 more than the betas. Visually I love thes mags and think the hex pattern ties in nicely with the aesthetic of the predator. There's also a fair chunk of after market bits and bobs to personalise the magazines. Everything from precursor grip tape through to coloured followers. Giving the option to really personalise your mags.

Fit wise, they are incredibly snug, there is no wobble or slack in the fit. In fact it's so tight that even with the release catch depressed, they won't fall free until you give them a slight tug.

Like the betas, I filled the mag up with some .20 bb's and set about the garden target again. Unlike the beta mag, there was no coaxing needed to get the feeding frenzy started. In all 3 fire modes they fed flawlessly.

So in summary I would recommend either magazine for those out there looking for predator compatible magazines that don't require modifications.

• Supporters

cheers for update - a few like the hex-mags

congrats on finding out that not all guns like all mags

and even some "should work ok" mags may still not like certain guns etc.....

LWA have 15% off Dytac atm - enter DYTAC15 at checkout if it helps anybody

typical though - very little left mag wise :(

I. Just glad to finally have the answer lol.

I know the hexmags are like rocking horse poop here in the uk. Though I have 3 more coming along with a fortis shift vertical foregrip.

I think everywhere is shipping them I. From Hong Kong at the moment.

Cheers for the heads up on the land warrior code :)

Archived