Little Things That Annoy You In Airsoft

GeneralKimbo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The specific issue that I'm talking about is dead players not constantly or consistently signalling that they're dead.  Sure, it's a ball arm ache to keep a hand raised for 2 minutes, and usually it is fairly apparent that a group standing around with their guns down are deaders, especially if they're bantering away.

But I have popped into the middle of a group of such players, assumed they were dead, and got pew-pewed when it turned out that they were just Rear Echelon Motherlovers who'd underestimated my ninja-like infiltration skills and thought they were safe.  Entirely my fault in that case, but my mis-assumption was informed by actual dead players behaving in the same way.

Given the split second you've got to make the decision, I know I should pew first and ask questions later, but it doesn't feel very British to do so.

Majority of the time players are their own worst enemies which leads to hot heads blasting off... I'd like to say that players should use common sense but we all know that doesn't actually exist. The amount of issues I hear as a marshal, give a pretty simple fix to the issue and 9 times out of 10 get the response "oh I didn't think of that" funny that it was probably covered in the brief at the start of the game....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

ive come across that and agree its a pain

If im hit in medic rule i will sit with arm up or gun down etc so im not looking like im in play.

At urban assault they use (think they still do, not been since July) yellow ribbon to signal your 'dead', i just tie to gun barrel and walk back quietly..but if in a building i will get out of the way until i can move away without getting hit again or in the way of the enemy advancing, shouting dead man walking.....its part of the 'Airsoft Etiquette' after taking your hits! .

those player you mentioned are top of Triggers skirmish hit list!

What triggers me is being overshot, when I'm standing away from the fight waiting for the game to end (we play 15m games with no medic, same format as competitions here in Italy).

Sometimes people are so dumb they think that a guy sitting down 50m away from the flag smoking a cigarette is still in game -.-

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Skara said:

that a guy sitting down 50m away from the flag smoking a cigarette is still in game -.-

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

players sitting down smoking a cigarette, who have then stood up and shot them?

Well smoking is bad for your health ;).  Anyone vaping is also fair target.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Well smoking is bad for your health ;).  Anyone vaping is also fair target.

If you can see them through the 'smoke'!! :lol:

• Supporters

Oh, and on assuming that non-hostile appearance means a non-hostile player:

I nearly laughed up a lung. :D

Apropos to this thread because a couple of the comments decry that as foul play (i.e. things that annoy you).  Personally I think it's brilliant, and highlights the benefit of unambiguous rules for distinguishing between teams and dead/alive to eliminate any grounds for complaint.

4 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

If you have an enforced medic rule where the bleedout time is two minutes then you should stay in place for those two minutes not walk back to regen, personally I'm a big fan of if your hit drop to the floor and also dead rags this both eliminates shooting dead players (for the most part) and also shows that i am dead by being on the floor with a red rag on me!

Outdoor medic works fine. Indoor CQB not so much. 2 mins stood in the middle of a corridor like a lemon whilst everyone tries to shoot around you is not cool.

10 minutes ago, warlord said:

Outdoor medic works fine. Indoor CQB not so much. 2 mins stood in the middle of a corridor like a lemon whilst everyone tries to shoot around you is not cool.

Happens in Milsims mate, if your shot in a building and you have room to move so your not shot you do so or you (depending on event) can move outside of the target room so the attackers can move in. Doesn't matter if its a skirmish or a milsim a bit of sportsmanship shouldn't go a miss from either side. I notice you play at The Gaol from your profile, I've played games there where what I've mentioned (either taking a side step or laying down) has happened and its worked perfectly fine.

• Supporters

What annoys me about airsoft?

People.

Just people in general.

They annoy me in the outside world too. 

43 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Conceivably because they've seen other players sitting down smoking a cigarette, who have then stood up and shot them?

Remember we don't have fields with casuals, we're always the same people playing.

I even told the guy I was hit and pointed at my gun on the ground, he shot me anyway, aiming high.

He did the same with a few other guys, we kicked him out of the team.

He was just being an idiot.

Just now, clumpyedge said:

Happens in Milsims mate, if your shot in a building and you have room to move so your not shot you do so or you (depending on event) can move outside of the target room so the attackers can move in. Doesn't matter if its a skirmish or a milsim a bit of sportsmanship shouldn't go a miss from either side. I notice you play at The Gaol from your profile, I've played games there where what I've mentioned (either taking a side step or laying down) has happened and its worked perfectly fine.

This wasn't the Gaol. And this particular place had no regen so no 2 minute rule, it was medic only and got really silly. To the extent we had about 10 dead people in one corridor (like a zombie convention) and there wasn't room to lie down :D I just chose to ask the other team to let me pass behind them and stay dead so at least they could effectively defend their position.

1 minute ago, warlord said:

This wasn't the Gaol. And this particular place had no regen so no 2 minute rule, it was medic only and got really silly. To the extent we had about 10 dead people in one corridor (like a zombie convention) and there wasn't room to lie down :D I just chose to ask the other team to let me pass behind them and stay dead so at least they could effectively defend their position.

Fair enough, like I mentioned already most places would allow you to do that even with a bleed out time. You obviously have something a lot of people lack by doing that.

Just now, clumpyedge said:

Fair enough, like I mentioned already most places would allow you to do that even with a bleed out time. You obviously have something a lot of people lack by doing that.

Common sense? :D:D:D Mostly players are pretty honest I find. But when you're unsure of the rules it can add confusion and then it's not a deliberate abuse.

8 minutes ago, warlord said:

Common sense? :D:D:D Mostly players are pretty honest I find. But when you're unsure of the rules it can add confusion and then it's not a deliberate abuse.

I hate the term but yes! Agreed id say 98% of the people I encounter are honest enough and for the most part the ones that might not seem honest are probably just unsure of the rules so as you say so don't intentionally break them. Saying that I also think that people speak up enough even if they pull a marshal aside one on one and ask. I usually make a point of if I don't understand something in a brief asking in front of everyone as a very nice site owner said to me once chances are if one person doesn't understand it they are not the only one.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Remember we don't have fields with casuals

No, I don't recall.

I even told the guy I was hit and pointed at my gun on the ground, he shot me anyway, aiming high.

Heh, OK, fair enough, that was just being a dick.  I like that it's the first rule at my local site - I mean, "Don't be a dick".

57 minutes ago, warlord said:

Ooh, I'll add a little nit for unclear rules.  I got pulled up on the site definition of throwing pyro out of a stairwell, which was (very reasonably) explained as meaning that you have to be right at the stairwell threshold to throw out.  No problem. But then why not say that in the briefing so that everybody is clear on it?  If you already know what it means, you don't need telling at all, and if you don't, then you'll need it explained later the first time you get caught doing otherwise.

(Please forget that I said that when I eventually get around to complaining that briefings are too long. ;) )

Another issue I usually run into is the fact that every team uses different rules and nobody talks about them when someone hosts a game.

There's this unused military fortification in my town (well, there are actually 40 fortifications around my town, some of them still in use, others dismissed and abandoned, really cool to visit even if not 100% safe) in which people without a team go play.

Sometimes we play there as well, when it's raining and the others don't want to drive to our field (40m drive from the town centre)..

When we play at that fortification we always have misunderstandings about rules, someone thinks gun hits don't count, some don't want people to go full auto in rooms/corridors, some don't want pyros to be used.. Everyone thinks everyone knows their set of rules and often you hear people arguing about a gun hit or a pyro being thrown into a room full of people..

It's a place we usually avoid because of this. And people playing with guns that are too hot (330 fps limit by national law)..

Probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, but... southerners. 

Doesnt matter where I go. Urban, woodland, whatever. If there’s 160 people playing, I guarantee you that the one who’s complaining is from down south. 

“The food is crap! That hurt! Marshall! Chrono his gun! I’m still getting shot at when I whispered hit!” Man the f*ck up..

As far as I’m concerned, if I haven’t bled by the end of the day, I’ve not had a good time. 

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, but... southerners. 

Doesnt matter where I go. Urban, woodland, whatever. If there’s 160 people playing, I guarantee you that the one who’s complaining is from down south. 

“The food is crap! That hurt! Marshall! Chrono his gun! I’m still getting shot at when I whispered hit!” Man the f*ck up..

As far as I’m concerned, if I haven’t bled by the end of the day, I’ve not had a good time. 

I'm a southerner....:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, and on assuming that non-hostile appearance means a non-hostile player:

I nearly laughed up a lung. :D

Apropos to this thread because a couple of the comments decry that as foul play (i.e. things that annoy you).  Personally I think it's brilliant, and highlights the benefit of unambiguous rules for distinguishing between teams and dead/alive to eliminate any grounds for complaint.

Rewinding a bit to the knife kill video

im a big fan of sneaky tagging, as long as it’s done correctly and without cheating

In that video I’m not keen on the team markings  of armbands vs no armbands, particularly as some of them to me seem not to be very clear armbands.

I also often see players who like to wear their arm bands in a particular way such as on the back of their goggle strap - because they like it there, perhaps they have seen others do it and think that’s cool, or more likely because it gives some doubt and let’s them have an extra moment without being identified

I like the principle in some places that have a colour and an arm, eg red team wear a red armband on their left arm, blue team wear a blue armband on their right arm

That gives the option of not presenting your banded arm, but a red who is paying attention and can’t see an empty right arm or a left red armband knows to be suspicious 

If a player has gone to the effort to remain undetected, acts in a non agressive way and gets to wander around unchallenged then they can earn those tags, or pick their moment to lift their gun.

I make sure that the rules I want abided by are in the player pack of events I run, any unusual or contentious rules are in the morning brief and if players have their own firm opinions on what rules should be when at someone else’s event then they should ask

Perhaps they get caught out and surprised when it happens to them, but that’s no excuse to kick off and complain like a baby because their don’t get their own way

An eliminated player who doesn’t have their hand up is open to be shot or challenged.  I’ve had long walks and don’t keep my hand up, but that’s my problem - I can try to pay attention when I find players near by and unless someone rips at me then it’s fair to shoot me, but perhaps if I’m idly strolling around or sat away from the game then it might be polite to challenge me - I might be planning something sneaky or I might be out of the game

Archived