Camo Clothing

Connieboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to airsoft and haven't got any equipment yet. But will definitely be starting it up as a hobby,so at the moment I'm just browsing the net and getting an idea of kit etc.

so I was wondering, if I play mostly in a wooded area whats the best camo to go for, multi cam,DPM or ATACS? is it just a matter of taste, or are there any others that are better?

Thanks

Con

Now personally my FAVOURITE is ATACS FG and I feel as though it blends in superbly with woodland areas. But like you said it's preference and all about what you like personally. If your in the market for some gear in ATACS FG I have 3 sites for you to check out. Patrol Base sell a nice tactical vest which I own myself. UK Tactical and soldier of fortune sell everything from mag pouches to trousers and UBACS/Jackets. Hope this helped.

• Supporters

I'm new to airsoft and haven't got any equipment yet. But will definitely be starting it up as a hobby,so at the moment I'm just browsing the net and getting an idea of kit etc.

so I was wondering, if I play mostly in a wooded area whats the best camo to go for, multi cam,DPM or ATACS? is it just a matter of taste, or are there any others that are better?

Thanks

Con

Dpm will be best in UK woodland and it's cheap (plenty of surplus about).

Now personally my FAVOURITE is ATACS FG and I feel as though it blends in superbly with woodland areas. But like you said it's preference and all about what you like personally. If your in the market for some gear in ATACS FG I have 3 sites for you to check out. Patrol Base sell a nice tactical vest which I own myself. UK Tactical and soldier of fortune sell everything from mag pouches to trousers and UBACS/Jackets. Hope this helped.

Thanks mate ..I'll have a look :)

• Supporters

There's dozens of woodland camos out there, none of them are 'best' all around because soil types, vegtation levels, tree varieties, lighting, season, weather and a hundred other things all vary hugely between places you might go. As long as there's plenty of brown/green/khaki going on, you'll be alright most places. If you're really fussed about blending in, look for pictures of the site you're going to and figure out the predominant colouring then try to match it.

eBay is full of military surplus that's going to make for the best value I'd say 95% of the time. The old CS95 cut stuff (DPM), current PCS cut (MTP) is obviously common as muck so the prices are good. I'd probably go with a PCS shirt of some kind and CS95 trousers, since the PCS material isn't as tough and your trousers always suffer more wear. If you're gonna want to buy a plate carrier, get a combat shirt/'UBACS', if you're planning on going some sort of belt kit, then a standard type shirt is possibly better. Just keep an eye out for awful knock-offs, not everything that says 'army MTP' is issue kit by a long shot. Much as issued MTP is far from the pinnacle of tactical apparel, it'll be a darn sight better than a £7 multi-spam knock off. Check the labels in the listing pictures, you'll figure out what the military ones look like quickly enough.

If you want to go ATACS-FG then again, there's a lot of chinese clones that use fake fabrics yet sometimes cost more than surplus gear despite being constructed to a lower standard, so again be cautious and check the listings carefully and look at the brand names on other sites. Multicam is probably the trickiest one because the fakes are 10x more common place than the real thing, so again, just exercise some caution before you click buy. Don't worry about it looking super duper operator, the cheap stuff that looks modern always compromises stitching and materials in order to achieve the complexity of design (i.e. ripping off Crye); that's where new players always go wrong. Any issued kit from the UK, Germany, Norway, Poland etc etc is most likely gonna be the best route to take.

IMHO, camouflage isn't that affective (or is it effective?) in airsoft. I admit that it does have it's use to an extent, but in your average airsoft game it's probably surplus to requirement.

Although some camo will help you blend in better that Jeans and a Hawaiian Shirt, I don't think it will have a huge effect regarding different types.

For the most part, camo works to break up the "block shape" of a person, so that there's not a solid colour that attracts the attention. The colour itself goes some way to help you blend in to the surroundings, but it doesn't make a huge difference. [Wait for someone to jump in with he science-y reasons here]

Unless your playing a very static style (sniper) where you can/would build up a ghillie suit or something along those lines to blend in to the woodland your playing in - then the best Camo is what you like the look of.

Personally, I prefere DPM. It's comfy and cheap to replace.

I've never come across a situation where a specific camo has worked noticeabley better than another (or not noticeably, which should be the point!) - except once there was a guy wearing ACU in a field of Bluebells. No bugger could find him!

Most effective camo I've (not) seen for UK woodland is Flecktarn, Danish M84 and MARPAT.

Multicam/MTP is quite effective.

M81 and DPM is effective, as is French temperate.

Not seen a lot of A-Tacs or Kryptex in action tbh.

Always suspected CADPAT would be decent.

If you want real stuff fot cheap, raid surplus stores.

If you want very decent mid-range branded camouflage, look at Flyye, Condor, Bulle, Massif, Propper and Helikon.

If you want to buy top quality, look at 5.11, Crye Precision, TAD Gear, OPS Tactical, Arcteryx and Patagonia.

• Moderators

remember, camo is just for you to look good in a game, if your running around its not gonna help, plenty of topics on here about it to help you spend you cash on!!!

to help me hide my legs when I'm actually hiding, I just use camogrom or ATACs FG and a coyote top/chest rig, its just to look tacticool really, make me think I know what I'm doing and make me think I'm a tree with firepower.....still get shot! :)

sites, all above really, atacs Fg seems to be a little hard to get some sizes at the moment, especially if by Helikon as they have stopped making it :(....hence I don't have a combat shirt yet :(

maybe for now get some mtp from your nearest surplus store, it will be cheaper and try it out at your sites and see how you get on before spending more cash on something that may not be what you want

what about pencott greenzone** ( I think it is)....if you want to look good

**edit, sorry missed post right above me!!

Hoodie, baseball cap in the colour of pin, green, eye prot, lower face mesh guard, t shirt, DPM trousers, and hiking boots.

and yer gun.

or if yer hard like me, just my knife

EDIT: if you're looking for a smock/coat type thing, maybe for if you're going to be a sniper or slow offence type player DMR style of play maybe? Crouching through wet grass, damp branches, soggy leaves, dripping water from leaves above. Found this https://www.goarmy.co.uk/british-army-sas-combat-smocks-dpm-prod?geoip_country=GB&gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRtD0-yNGThdmNjiWb0083t1_Lqu-eoDdB0FZsOAAd1FRoCAqvw_wcB

I have an ATACS FG chest rig, pouches and cap and that's it. I haven't really felt the urge to dress in BDUs or anything like that so I just wear Craghopper shirts and outdoor trousers in various shades of green/grey/brown. Means I can wear the same clothes as everyday wear too if I wanted.

I am a bit of a TAD whore so I mainly wear block colours...but now that the wife has bought me a woodland MARPAT ICWS top, I am going to go for a USMC look. I already have a lot of CB stuff.

• 1 month later...

For myself CADPAT is the way to go! (Great shade of greens that blend very well in most areas). If you want the best store in Canada for CADPAT camouflage you should go at royalmilitarysurplus.com (located in Canada). I bought many items in CADPAT camouflage over the years and now I shop exclusively with them. Last time I checked there was over 400 items in both Temperate Woodland and Arid camouflage patterns (Jacket, Pants, Tactical Vest, MOLLE vest and gear, Full kits, etc). They are also the biggest store (No out of stock with them!). You can also shop by camouflage pattern (Which I find really useful to have a good look at all the selection and the difference between camouflages). They have a great encyclopedia of military camouflage (Link below). They also have 2 webpages dedicated to the canadian CADPAT camouflage (the 2 other links below):

http://royalmilitarysurplus.com/SHOP-BY-CAMO_c53.htm

http://royalmilitarysurplus.com/CADPAT-TW_c54.htm
http://royalmilitarysurplus.com/CADPAT-AR_c86.htm

I hope it will help you!

Archived