Checking UKARA Defence

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you are selling a secondhand RIF to a stranger, how do you check their UKARA status ?

I appreciate they can give you their UKARA number but unless youre a retailer, how do you verify its current ?

Guest PT247

just check it on the UKARA database, gives you their registered address too so you can check they are not using either a made up number or someone else's UKARA

There's no way to prove legitimacy though, just look at what Qlimax did with the BAC thing. Self check doesn't allow others proof. Your suggestion is really good though ak2m4.

Theoretically any airsoft retailer that sells AEGs in england should be able to check a number on the database on the behalf of anyone.

The trick with UKARA is that the seller only dispatches the item to the UKARA address, i've noticed this is not adhered to as long as the billing address matches. But I'm okay with that I guess.

I don't think you can check other people (the self check is for you to check yourself) and only a retailer can log in and see the address etc ?

Guest PT247

I've always sent to the UKARA registered address.... I say always.... I think I have only sold 2 guns not face to face.

Guest PT247

I don't think you can check other people (the self check is for you to check yourself) and only a retailer can log in and see the address etc ?

You can you just need their details.

Am I missing something ?

The self Check says

The United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association was formed in response to the 2006 Violent Crime Reduction Bill to enable a safe method of selling Realistic Imitation Firearms (RiF's) to the UK Airsoft player market

The UKARA Player Self Check system must only be used by Players who have been entered onto the UKARA database.

"Self Check" is for checking that you are on the system and that your details are correct it is not a tool to provide purchase eligibility confirmation that should be done through a UKARA retailer or your game site.

Your IP Address and the Date & Time have now been stored which enable your location to be traced

Any unauthorised use will be reported to the relevant authorities

Please do not carry your RiF exposed to view in a public place, this would be an offence and of detriment to the sport and lead to a suspension of player registration with UKARA

There's no way to prove legitimacy though, just look at what Qlimax did with the BAC thing. Self check doesn't allow others proof. Your suggestion is really good though ak2m4.

I forgot all about BAC - really good idea shame it never gained much traction (or did it?).

Ok so I'm trying to purchase a rif, I have ukara, and I've waited 3 days so far, for an email as proof for the seller so I can purchase the gun, does anyone have idea how much longer ?

Thanks

Ok so I'm trying to purchase a rif, I have ukara, and I've waited 3 days so far, for an email as proof for the seller so I can purchase the gun, does anyone have idea how much longer ?

Thanks

Who did you contact for the proof?

Who did you contact for the proof?

I used the ukara self check (google search)took them 3 days to email my proof

If you were registered with one of our sites and asked us in advance we would happily provide confirmation of your current UKARA status to a third party. As far as we're concerned, it's part of the service paid for by the UKARA admin fee we charge.

Don't forget, UKARA was put in place to prevent retailers from going out of business, from a business point of view I can understand if a retailer is reluctant to come forward with details that help you buy a RIF from someone else, it's not how the process was intended to be used and they're opening themselves up to being dragged through court to defend somebody else's sale...

If you haven't done so already, contact the site operator who your membership is with, I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

On a related note, I do get frustrated when I get calls or emails from sellers saying "I've got Fred here, says he plays on your site and wants to buy a RIF, can you confirm him?" Can you please ring me first and ask so I've got half a chance of figuring out who you are? My memory is shocking especially with names, and I may have 3 or 4 Freds playing on different sites.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.