Lack of Ingenuity

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I cant help but notice that the various suppliers of airsoft kit all supply the same stuff.

Apart from a slight variation of a few pounds in price and varying stock levels, it amazes me that traders dont put a lot of value added in their wares.

Reading about how to protect a tactical torch by getting your own piece of plastic just now on here and buying a quite expensive ELCAN optic the other day and struggling to find a kill flash for it, it amazes me that UK suppliers dont join up the dots.

No wonder players buy things overseas as the UK companies offer exactly the same thing only dearer.

I paid just under a hundred pounds for an optic then about £15 for a killflash from a separate supplier, then discovered the thread was non compatible.

Why would a supplier sell an expensive optic like that and not consider offering an optional killflash that fits it. I would happily have paid them the £15 for a guaranteed compatibility (the kf was about £9 and the rest was zero ones excessive p&p). Its got to be more economic to solves these problems at retail source in quantity rather than letting each customer solve his own problem.

The amount of money Ive wasted in compatibility experiments.

Another value added prospect is offering an EoTech and Magnifier that actually line up. How often have I read players complaining about this.

I asked one UK supplier if they sold BCM Gunfighter foregrips and got a curt NO.

Searching on their website a bit more, I found a replica clone that I would have happily bought had he said, no we cant get the originals outside the US but we offer this clone etc.

I cant help but notice that the various suppliers of airsoft kit all supply the same stuff.

Apart from a slight variation of a few pounds in price and varying stock levels, it amazes me that traders dont put a lot of value added in their wares.

Why would a supplier sell an expensive optic like that and not consider offering an optional killflash that fits it. I would happily have paid them the £15 for a guaranteed compatibility (the kf was about £9 and the rest was zero ones excessive p&p). Its got to be more economic to solves these problems at retail source in quantity rather than letting each customer solve his own problem.

The amount of money Ive wasted in compatibility experiments.

Yes, it is quite peculiar that we have any airsoft retailers at all. We have what, 1-2 retailer per 1000 players?

Still, without them VCRA would have done the sport because of all the ***RIF RIF RIF*** people.

Surely capitalism and 'the market' make sure that things are as they should be? Presumably if UK retailers had a much more diverse stock offering - especially on accessories, they'd just have a warehouse full of stock?

Guest PT247

aye, it would be too expensive to offer every option in every size and colour and quality etc.

Things like lens protectors can be home made easily enough if required.

No I think youve misunderstood me. Im not saying UK stockists should hold everything. My point is that I would pay a premium to buy an optic with a killflash that fitted it, rather than having to source them separately and a) run the risk of incompatibility b ) end up having to spend an hour filing to get it to fit. In fact, Id accept a more limited selection for these kind of guaranteed pairings.

Perhaps many airsofters enjoy adapting things to fit. I can see the attraction if there is a huge financial saving, but paying a UK premium and then still having to adapt and overcome doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

Guest PT247

I get what you are saying but shops sell what sells. If you want a scope with a kill flash, buy one that comes with one which is what I did on one instance.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-1x38-SRS-Style-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight-Scope-Dual-Power-w-QD-Mount-Black-/221982262317?hash=item33af2c842d:g:DDQAAOSwZG9WhNss

As it goes, I'd rather have more choice than be forced to buy the same optic that everyone else had.... but that may just be me! :-)

I kind of get what the OP is saying. Im by no means a seasoned 'Softer' but have had many a browse online at retailers shops, and I agree. They do tend to stock the same products. So much so that now I feel I have seen it all. I only look for when I know I want something rather than a impromptu peruse :) .

The same brands, the same variations and even all sell out of the same stock. But when we are after something we all seem to look further afield or buy off of each other.

I totally get retail and supply and demand etc. But there is surely a market for an UK Based alternative Airsoft retailer who will buck the trend and A) know their stock compatibility B) have those extra bits we will always seem to want/need C) ship them quickly and hassle free

As mentioned though one of the problems is the sheer number of variations and parts available.

A bit like Baz I have also bought a couple of the same products because they didnt quite work or fit with how I wanted to use them which is quite annoying.

The closest Ive come to any joined up thinking is Airsoft World who do put some notes on their products, to guide, which at least shows some level of thought. Mind you, I did buy a short grenade launcher from them, only to find it didnt allow TAG rounds to load and I had to get the long one.

I told AW about this so they could put a warning note on to save people making the same mistake but they havent, which is silly especially when they are TAG distributors.

Ive come to the conclusion that a lot of the airsoft industry is still developing from a hobbyist make and mend stage and has a lot of growing up to do.

A lot of the things Ive mentioned dont cost anything in real terms but require a little thought and care. If a retailer sells a x4 flip down magnifier and a range of EoTech clone holographic sights, how hard is it to put a note on the magn to say this will line up with product X, Y and Z. I have to believe that suppliers dont care enough because they are already selling.

It just needs an entrepreneur to sweep the board and differentiate themselves.

When you buy online, you lose certain abilities to visually check stuff and interact with a knowledgeable sales person and although You Tube reviews are often useful, I dont think UK retailers of parts and accessories do enough. Fair enough on a £10 item, but one supplier is selling a £175 optic with nothing more than some words copied off the makers website. I would expect a bit more input otherwise I might as well buy it in Hong Kong and take a risk at less £££s. I wouldnt mind but the UK trade complain that players buying abroad are killing the UK retail. If they dont use their position to advantage, what do they expect ?

A lot of the time retailers wouldn't know or care about compatibility, like baz mentioned I have seen plenty of websites not just airsoft ones list the bare minimum of info clearly copied and pasted from a foreign manufacturer as spelling and wording makes little sense (much like my posts) with an almost disregard to the item itself. It does make me think I dont want the item as often it doesn't tell you what you need to know.

And yeah we could ask them, but many a time its some numpty with no clue telling you to refer to the description or unable to find out as they dont speak Chinese.

I guess thats why sites such as uktactical do so well as instead of stocking the same old from everyone else and having a crappy website chocked full of random parts with no info (wolf armouries) they do a limited selection and do it well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.