hi or mid cap?

paulcotton

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to the hobby/sport after a long break from when I was a teen with a spring powered desert eagle things have certainly evolved.....

Briefly I'm going to be running a dboys m4 to start with which comes with the 300 rd hi cap mag, I'm looking to get 3 more mags and was wondering am I ok with 3 spare hi caps or would it be best to go for mid caps? Thanks

• Supporters

Personally I'd say it depends on your play style. Unless you're going to seriously spray and pray then I'd say get a few mids and keep the hicap as a backup.

Welcome back by the way :)

• Supporters

Cheers for that, the other half told.me I need to get a hobby

Does she know what she's let herself in for? :D

Don't forget you'll need a decent speedloader for the midcaps (get the Tokyo Marui M4 mag shaped one, all the others I've ever had have been shite).

Hi-caps = easy to load +, need winding -ve, carry more bbs, rattle when you move -ve

Mid caps = need some firm of speed loader -ve, silent +ve, give you more realistic mag changes if partially loaded

Mid caps can leave you at a disadvantage when skirmishing as you are changing mags far more often than a high capper but in a milsim, most games prohibit high caps.

The choice is yours.

If you're playing skirmish games on a casual basis then you'll probably want to stick to hi caps.

Our Filmsim/milsim lite games have an ammo limit of 600 rounds loaded in mags so if you came to one of them you would be able to use two hi caps.

I switched over to mid caps mainly because I hated the rattle of hi caps and when I do play skirmish I'm usually long dead before I run out of mags due to my habit of charging in headfirst when I have unlimited lives :)

• Supporters

Excuse my stupid question but I guess the sppeloaders needed for the hi cap too?

No, the hi cap has a little flap on the top, you open that and just pour the BBs in.

yeah basically - both is the answer

mid caps also feed better at silly speeds though capacity means you can't spray and pray too much

hi-caps - 1 mag lasts ya ages if you are travelling very light - like gun5 only - no pouches n not carrying the kitchen sink etc....

Well I am a bit of a gear freak..... looks like I'll go for a few mid caps and keep the hi cap in reserve ready for when that s#! ¥ gets real!

I take 5 mid caps & 1 high cap just in case it gets messy.

I personally prefer mid-caps simply because I enjoy reloading under fire, its all about fun at the end of the day & if you enjoy doing your hardcore reload then go for the mid-caps.

there is never a right or wrong, just what you perfer

Does the wind up on the hi cap reduce the rattle?

If you're going to run a hi-cap backup with midcaps, make sure it's full so it does not rattle.

Depends on the gun, mid cap sizes vary, can be over 200 though.

Does the wind up on the hi cap reduce the rattle?

Here's how they work...

The top bit of the magazine is a hopper which you fill with BBs. The bottom bit has a clockwork mechanism that feeds the BBs up a short tube to the top of the mag and into the gun. The winder just winds it up, as you fire the spring unwinds, turning a wheel which picks up the BBS.

The rattle comes from the BBs in the hopper part as they are loose and free to move about inside the mag

If you fill up the mag, wind it, then top it up it will rattle less, but as you fire there are less BBs in the mag and more empty space so more rattle.

Mid and low caps have a really long tube that goes round and round the inside of the mag with a compression spring inside. You feed the BBs in from the same hole as they feed out of the mag and into the gun. The spring expands to fill the space in the tube behind the BBs therefore no rattle.

The downsides to mid and low caps are the lower capacity and you need to use a speed loader or push the BBs in one at a time, kind of like loading a real magazine.

Carrying a partially full speed loader will create the same rattle as a partially full hi cap however...

In days gone by, my pouches needed to be filled - otherwise it'd be silly having so many - so I was running with 9 Hi-caps.

While I generally never needed more than 3/4 at most before returning to the safe zone, one game I was the last player on a timed defence game - no medic/re-spawn, unlimited enemy lives...

I was on my last mag when I was finally hit - it was a tale of a last stand immortalised in song and interpretative dance.

• Supporters

so I was running with 9 Hi-caps.

Tactical maracas!

• Supporters

I thought flash mags were just hi caps with a string attached to the winder? How does that stop the rattle?

They are, and it doesn't. Not really. They still rattle.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.