Starting kit suggestions and opinions

Sico
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, since I had my first taste of airsoft last week, I’m confident of saying that I foresee a hole in my bank account and an angry girlfriend in the near future, but I’m OK with that, she always needs new shoes. Leaving this aside, I’m planning on getting some new kit for my upcoming game and I would like some opinions or suggestions from players who may have come across similar products. Currently I’m mostly into CQB and urban gameplay and the closest site its Blitz CQB in Whitechapel London. Before I start enumerating my shopping list I’d like to add that I’m planning on getting a black multicam loadout and purchase a M4 variant with a silencer after I get my UKARA(but more on the guns and accessories later on).

Protection:

1.Eyes: Since we’re talking about serious or permanent damage here, I’m willing to spend more than 10 quid on this. Here I have few options as I’m not sure if I’m prone on excessive fogging, comfort rating, etc.

Dye I4 – good reviews on amazon and provides lower face protection, but expensive.

Revision Bullet Ant or Guarder G-C8 – love the looks on both items but not sure about fogging and peripheral vision.

Heroshark Daggernose – Full seal mesh goggle, planning on buying this if I’ll change the field to a more range type of combat, woodland or urban.

2.Lower face: A must as above, since I don’t plan on visiting the dentist because of airsoft.
Mesh mask – I like the looks and it may be moulded to fit your face, other option is this as it offers ear protection as well.

3.Gloves: Some knuckle protection with good reviews.

OMGAI Gloves – Something with knuckle protection also has good reviews.

4.Knees and elbows: Don’t know if I should purchase something like this yet, hence my BDU comes with removable knee pads. Even so if I don’t get along with them this was the replacement.

Hatch XTAC Knee and Elbow – Expensive, similar are this by Viper Knee and Elbow

BDU and base layer:

1.Combat shirt

2.Combat trousers

3.Cap

4.Base layer: On my first game I didn’t had something like this nor I saw someone wearing something similar, but I did had multiple layers of clothing on me. And having something like this will reduce the sting and marks from the bb’s.

5.Balaclava: Here I don’t know if I should purchase this as I might heat up to much.

Misc:

1.Flashlight: This is a must for my next game since I felt the need when moving through dark corners or blinding the enemy. The one I’ve got my eyes on comes with rail mount and pressure switch.

2.Anti-fog: I’m inclining on getting the I4 but if I change my mind this items was on the list just in case I need it.

And last are the boots, here I`m quite concern as I always find it hard to find confortable shoes and wide enough for my feet. On my first game I had a pair of trainers but I would like to get some boots for ankle support, I had a look on Lowa (Zephyr Hi Boots and Z8N models) and Salomon (the Quest 4D GTX model) but oh boy those prices. And then I found this pair which look solid and might do well on both indoors and outdoors gameplay.

I think that’s pretty much it for now. Any suggestions are welcome and feel free to add any other items I may need.

Thanks in advance,

Sico

Guest PT247

even in woodland in the winter rain and cold when playing I never need more than just the combat shirt and trousers, just get some warm clothes for the safe zone.

• Supporters

Base layer is not needed in the UK.

Balaclava is really uncomfortable.

The trousers' knee protectors are enough, and you don't need elbow protectors.

German para boots are fine.

Thanks for the gloves link. :)

I would suggest getting a shemag too. They are awesome.

A word of warning about mesh masks with was protection. I got one and even once it was as stream line and shaped to my face as it could be it was a strugle to get in the sights. I would personally advise you to get one without ear pro but at the end of the day it's your face not mine.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the feedback. Most likely I'll be ordering protection for my face and hands as well as that torch for now and sort the other bits later on.

• Supporters

Hi welcome to the forums and Airsoft in general :D

As Blitz CQB is your closest site in terms of eye protection i would go with the Dye I4 or the Revision Goggles, for CQB I personally run a set of Revision Desert Locust Fan Goggles with Thermal Lenses.

Lower Face mask in CQB i would say is more necessary in CQB than woodland games, i dont wear one for woodland but definitely for CQB, Most face masks have been made in a one size fits no one, i have to do some serious bending and cutting to mod mine so that it gave me a complete cover all the way up to the goggles without interference.

Gloves are good and as for the knees and elbows i dont think you will need them as the trousers and shirt should come with them provided and they fit into the clothing directly which is far better.

AVOID anything made by Viper

I like that you are going for Black MultiCam as its a versitile patter, good in CQB And good in woodland.

You wont need the baselayer in the UK, taking a fleece should be sufficient during winter months, balaclava i dont think will be necesary, as for the flashlight i would advise you to get the Night Evolution or Emerson M300 Scout light, they are small, bright and powerful and can be weapon mounted.

As for boots i think the pair you have found is quite good, personally i only wear Lowa boots

Hi welcome to the forums and Airsoft in general :D

Thanks for the info provided, really informative and I would definitely look into those flashlights suggestions. This type of reply I was looking for, thanks again.

O-ring behind 3mm of cut acrylic. Lots of eBay sellers will cut it to whatever size you need for a couple of quid.

Thanks, was thinking at something like that. I'll have a look on those models suggested by Shizbazki to see what suits my needs and after I'll look into protection.

Wanted to ask if anyone here uses strobe ? As I was searching the forum for answers a torch should had somewhere around 200 lm to be effective, higher than that might reveal your location. The one I linked has buttons for each mode if I`m not mistaken and that would make a great advantage to switch between strobe and On option without cycling through all modes. I'm new to tactical flashlights and all its accessories so please excuse me if I might missed something or didn't used the search function well enough.

Guest PT247

I hate torches, especially torches owned by folk on my own team..... all they do is destroy your natural night vision and silhouette your team mates so the other team can shoot them, torches, strobe or constant should only be used when you are dead and only then when pointed straight up or straight down.

I hate torches, especially torches owned by folk on my own team..... all they do is destroy your natural night vision and silhouette your team mates so the other team can shoot them, torches, strobe or constant should only be used when you are dead and only then when pointed straight up or straight down.

:angry:

Yep. Every time, I can never decide which is worse. I dislike people that didn't listen in physics class and cannot comprehend when their light is being reflected back in the faces of their allies.

I completely agree with you guys, it happened to me on my first and only game. But I intend to use it only when it's needed (e.g. someone is camping in a dark corner and I can't get a clear shot at him or light some dark corners). The site I'm playing offers plenty of both and I intend to go on my own all the time. I'm not the type that follows the hoard unless it's required buy the game mode. I prefer to flank, distract, be stealthy as much as possible ( shooting from a AEG :/ ). Once again thank you for your feedback and support, I'm off to bed I wake up early and my half is grumpy :)).

• 3 weeks later...

After my second game of airsoft at bristop courthouse CQB i feel like i want to get into airsoft. Im looking for a plate carrier setup, preferably black. I was looking a lancer plate carrier but really wasn't to sure about how i wanted the final result to be. In the near future i should be running an mp5 and was hoping someone could find a plate carrier and mag pouches for a mp5 and 1911 and any other additional pouches you may think are usefull (e.g.Dump Pouch, Pistol holster and open top mag pouches). Thanks

-Will

Black is universally considered the least desirable colour for practical tactical gear, are you sure that's what you want? You might be after a particular look - but if not be sure you research the pros/cons of black before going ahead.

Agree with Sacarathe (even though I'm waiting for my black camo BDU), consider purchasing something that you can use in different environments as well (e.g. woodland), because for CQB you could use pretty much anything, in dark environments camo patterns don't really matter. As for pouches, that's for you to decide what you need (e.g. running mid or high caps, length of each game), basically it's pure research and preference. You'll get more answer if you'll do something like I did, look for some products and ask for feedback and suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone, continuing my endless research for gear I bumped into Specwarfare which have almost everything I look for. Since I’m going for a black multicam loadout and I intend on using this gear in both CQB and woodland environment, plus my previous list I mentioned above its all been purchased (waiting for german paratrooper boots to arrive), I decided to make anther list with some items that I plan on getting and ask for some feedback and suggestions. So here it goes:

Vest: Emerson JPC I like the looks and style, I did read some reviews and it seems like it’s a good quality for the money you spend. The only down side are the shoulder straps, every reviewer was complaining as they are not confortable and I wasn’t able to find something to fix that. I did find some shoulder straps made by PIG but the price was half of what this whole vest costs. What would you recommend? Should I cut my GF yoga mat (it’s pink though) and start assemble something?

Helmet: FMA maritime For face protection I bought a Dye I4 and following Jedi’s reply I’ll modify this helmet to fit with the mask, as the cap I bought doesn’t fit so good (will keep it for woodland).

Pouches: I intend on playing a medium-light setup, so here I have few pieces which I might add when going on a woodland environment or remove in a CQB. A FMA fast double mag holster, two Emerson Taco double mag pouch, one Emerson Taco rifle and pistol mag pouch, a TMC Dump pouch and a TMC GP pouch (most like for M&M’s when I’ll be camping in a corner).

Hydration: TMC 27oz pack and a 1” Molle for Hydro Tube (to keep it close to the body).

Belt: TMC Low Profile Belt this piece I found it on a different website, but it fits a medium size 28” to 34” waist, and having in mind these products are measured on Oompa Loompa I’ll be fitting it on my leg unless I find a 36” waist. Not so sure if I want to run a belt system though (although it may be more convenient for CQB), but was in the urge for multicam black gear and thought it is worth mentioning it.

As you could tell I didn’t mention about guns yet, I’m still in the process of getting registered with UKARA. I started new job and this allows me to have the weekends off, so fingers crossed I’ll see more action (hopefully my girlfriend wouldn’t mind that much). I’m a sucker for the suppressor on a AR15 platform, always loved that look, so AEGs like the TM devgru 416D, Honey badger AM-014 from Ares (it’s an Ares so L ) always captured my attention. Referring to guns I’m planning on buying one of the AEGs below:

TM recoil 416: Either the 416D or the Devgru variant. My mind is set to this as a magnet, but my wallet gets a heart attack every time I look at it. Now this piece is pricy for a first gun, but I don’t think I’ll be getting anything soon or get bored with it. Still confused as to which option to choose as from what I’ve heard the 416D has more space for batteries as I plan on changing it to deans to use LiPo. Should I get the stock and buy separately a suppressor and a grip to complete the look, change the butstock on Devgru variant or just buy a smaller battery that will fit the Devgru’s stock? (Looking now at TM 416 owners) Also I`m fully aware this AEG requires special mags. Second on the list is:

Krytac MK2 CRB: I know it not on the market yet, but hopefully anytime soon. Reasons, I guess less expensive than the TM and it’s a Krytac, of course if I decide to get the Krytak I`ll buy attachments to make it look the way I want. I still have to do some googleing on this end as my main focus was on the TM416 variants.

ICS CXP16 L: More or less same style, the cheapest of them all. Aldo I don’t know what to say about split gearbox feature. It seems handy but I don’t know what to say about reliability.

As always please feel free to recommend or comment, all feedback is welcome.

Regards,

Sico

Greetings everyone, continuing my endless research for gear I bumped into Specwarfare which have almost everything I look for. Since I’m going for a black multicam loadout and I intend on using this gear in both CQB and woodland environment, plus my previous list I mentioned above its all been purchased (waiting for german paratrooper boots to arrive), I decided to make anther list with some items that I plan on getting and ask for some feedback and suggestions

Spent a lot there, my advice, pick the slowest postage you can, do not buy electronics (they suck when it comes to returns).

• Head Moderator

I think that the battery compartment in the TM HK416D and Devgru is the same for both guns because they use the TM Sopmod battery. Only difference that I noticed when trying to choose between them was the 416D is fully sealed once the butt was reattached to the stock, and the Devgru has a small V shape cutout. However, I believe that there is a piece of plastic that you can buy to fit the gap (cannot remember if Eagle6 sell it), a Devgru owner will know. It is cheaper to buy the Devgru version if you want the suppressor and foregrip, than getting them afterwards for the 416D. If you want the boltstop feature then you need to use TM recoil magazines, M4 or SCAR L will also work.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I did plan on choosing a faster posting method, but from what I've read on the internet plus what you said, there is no point. Thank you Jedi for the feedback, I wasn't aware of that, I'll look into it. Still not sure on my gun choice, as my girlfriend did an "O" face (in a bad way) when she saw the prince on that piece plus she didn't knew about extra bits (e.g. battery conversion, battery, mags ). I'll be happy with a krytac aswell, but my mind set was on the TM416 Devgru version since I started being interested in airsoft. So I guess I'll be better off saving and get what I want.

• Supporters

The standard 416D has a bigger space in the stock for batteries but not by enough that it makes any difference, while the 416D has more room no one makes a battery 1mm bigger to take advantage of the extra space.

Battery conversion is something you can do yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, it's just a case of soldering 2 wires onto the contact bars in the stock. Definitely wouldn't pay someone else to do it!

Magazines as mentioned by others need to be the TM Next Gen type or your bolt stop won't work (normal magazines won't even fit without an adapter), but they're not prohibitively expensive anyway.

Going back to your face protection dilemma, I personally never recommend goggles/glasses and separate lower mesh. When I still wore it there were times when my mesh slipped a few mm and left a little gap between my lower and goggles. Not a massive issue on paper, but every BB that gets fired at your face will find that gap! Not only that, I once had a BB ricochet off the top of the mesh and find it's way under my goggles, hit me close to the eye (no damage done) and shit me right up!

Now I use one piece full face for CQB and glasses/gumshield for woodland games. if you're concerned about a paintball type mask being massively bulky (they normally are) have a look at some ESS/Smith Optics/etc goggles and cable tying the bottom half of a 'sansei' style mask to the bottom of them. CKinnerley on here and myself have both done the same thing (I copied a guy on another forum, CKinnerley may have done the same) and made these:

IMG_0702.jpg

Full face with no gaps, no fogging issues if you get decent goggles to start with and most importantly you can still get a really good cheek weld on whatever gun it is you're using.

Archived