Oldie needs advice on two-tone.

Grandpa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Some background - I'm 70+ and have been shooting airpistols/rifles since I was 10 - yes, they did make them back then. I have a large (1.5 acre) rear garden where I enjoy target shooting and plinking at cans etc. Lately however, due to mobility issues (not to mention the British weather) I have been unable to get outside as much as I would like so want to bring my hobby indoors.

Now I'm not too happy (and the wife is dead against) having high speed metal projectiles flying across the living room, possibly rebounding and killing the cat so I have decided to go down the airsoft route (might blind the cat but probably won't kill it).

Now I can legally pop into any firearms dealer and buy a high powered automatic airpistol which is almost indistinguishable in look to the real thing. However, for me to buy a less dangerous airsoft version of the same pistol I either must have a UKARA # or buy a two-tone version. I'm not going to be getting a UKARA # any day soon - I really can't see myself running around muddy fields shooting at people and getting shot at (!!) so my only option is to buy a two-tone.

There seems to be much less choice of two-tone GBB pistols available compared to black versions, two-tones also appear to be more expensive. There is also a plethora of internet retailers none of which I know anything about. I could spend time researching and google the information I need but at 70+ my time is limited so I'm hoping one or two of you experienced airsofters can help me out a bit and give me advice on:

Retailers to use/avoid?

Best (cheapish) GBB pistol to get?

CO2 or Green gas?

To help you help me - one pistol that ticks all the boxes [or appears to] for me is the WE M84FS Cheetah (I have the Umarex steel BB version) but can't seem to find it in two-tone or at a decent price - Let me know if you know where I could get one or if a different gun would be better value.

If you've taken the time to read all of this you have the patience of a saint - thankyou.

Guest PT247

You can buy a "proper" airsoft pistol and get the shop to 2-tone it for you. Get a TM pistol, get gas as indoors the CO2 would be not just smelly but also a bit too powerful potentially.

.... oh and safety glasses for you, your misses and the cat!

If you contact Chris Hobbs at Geartech customs he can get you any gun you want and do an amazing 2 tone paint job on it so it doesn't look like a 2 tone if you get my drift.

Here's his site----> http://www.geartechcustompaint.com/paint-commission/

Let us know what you get :D

You can buy a "proper" airsoft pistol and get the shop to 2-tone it for you. Get a TM pistol, get gas as indoors the CO2 would be not just smelly but also a bit too powerful potentially.

.... oh and safety glasses for you, your misses and the cat!

Thanks for the advice - yes, protecting the cat is paramount - the wife can look after herself ;) Excuse my ignorance but what is a TM pistol?

• Supporters

TM = Tokyo Marui - one of the best brands there is in airsoft

daft question - but how about a cyma electric glock or something pistol ???

now it might only shoot at about 200fps but think that would be a little safer for shooting indoors ???

better than a springer - don't need gas, battery is a little fiddly is only thing that you might find a pain

but for indoor target shooting I think it might be a consideration

cheaper cyma glock £60 aprox or the mighty Tokyo Marui do an electric pistol £110-ish

unless you got a 100 meter through lounge

Guest PT247

Just for information and incase you were unsure..... a green gas powered airsoft pistol will be capable of breaking human (and cat) skin. It is also capable of breaking glass and putting holes in plaster. My living room wall hates me lol.

TM = Tokyo Marui - one of the best brands there is in airsoft

daft question - but how about a cyma electric glock or something pistol ???

now it might only shoot at about 200fps but think that would be a little safer for shooting indoors ???

Ah! TM = Tokyo Marui - thanks.

I have thought about electric pistols but from what I have seen & heard they come across as being a bit toy like. I don't have a 100mtr lounge but hopefully, should mobility and weather improve, I'd like to use it at longer distances outside on occasions.

• Supporters

(electric pistols are no fun)

lipo improves the fun factor

works in all weather - though I doubt if the guy is that tight he doesn't have heating in his house...

Of course I have heating - just choose only to use when its -5 inside... - kidding

just a thought - he could scrape by with a cheapy non blowback mk23 pistol and use the suppressor to up the fps outside

hey wtf - go for a shotgun, no accuracy but a tri-shot should get near that target - sod aiming that much

You will need some kind of eye pro, (especially indoors), fyi.

When it comes down to it, it's all about money, anything you want in two tone you can get in two tone, if they don't offer a gun in two tone, email them, if still not, email another firm.

Just for information and incase you were unsure..... a green gas powered airsoft pistol will be capable of breaking human (and cat) skin. It is also capable of breaking glass and putting holes in plaster. My living room wall hates me lol.

Yes, I'm sure they can be quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. To put it in perspective some of my air arms are capable of drilling holes through inch thick pine but even the lower power ones are dangerous indoors, the lead pellet ones due to the initial impact energy and the steel BB one due to the rebound energy they retain. Plastic BB's, although still dangerous are far safer in comparison.

If price isn't an issue then try Mike Cripps at Elite Shooting Centre (http://www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk). You can't order online, only over the phone, but Mike's guns are highly regarded in the AIPSA (airsoft version of IPSA) clubs and as they come in rather fancy colours they are regarded as two tone, so no UKARA required. They may be a bit pricier that the all black versions, but are tuned well and will give you the years of use if properly maintained, which if you've been shooting air weapons for years you will know how to do.

Guest PT247

Yes, I'm sure they can be quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. To put it in perspective some of my air arms are capable of drilling holes through inch thick pine but even the lower power ones are dangerous indoors, the lead pellet ones due to the initial impact energy and the steel BB one due to the rebound energy they retain. Plastic BB's, although still dangerous are far safer in comparison.

aye, I just didn't want you thinking that just because they are plastic balls they do no damage! :-)

• Supporters

Plastic bb's ricochet EVERYWHERE indoors - set up your targets well and surrounding areas also to absorb impact from any flyers

Thanks for all the advice - I'll be sure to shoot safely and insist on eye protection for myself and anyone else in the vicinity including the cat.

I've had a chance to do a bit of browsing and my interest has been piqued by a WELL G193 for about £75 - £85, is it any good or should I look for something else? - I don't want to spend too much at the moment just in case the wife puts the kibosh on shooting guns indoors. Several places sell it are there any that I should definitely stay clear of?

Guest PT247

If you're able to buy a proper automatic air pistol from a firearms dealer then surely you have sufficient defence to buy a non 2 tone airsoft pistol already?

strangely no. airpistols even those that look like proper firearms are not classed as RIFs, even if he held a firearms licence he'd still need to prove he has a valid reason to buy a RIF eg UKARA

If you're able to buy a proper automatic air pistol from a firearms dealer then surely you have sufficient defence to buy a non 2 tone airsoft pistol already?

I don't need a defence or license to buy an air pistol (replica or not) unless it's over 16 Joules (I think) in power in which case I'd need a firearms license. However for a retailer to sell me an airsoft pistol that is a replica, even one that is less than 0.5 Joules in power, they require (by law) I provide a valid reason for why I want it and shooting tin cans in the garden (or living room) is not a valid reason whereas shooting people at a skirmish site is. As I'm a bit long in the tooth to take up skirmishing and I'm not an actor or crown servant who needs a realistic looking airsoft weapon I'm stuck with two-tone.

• Supporters

http://www.airshooter.co.uk/hg-0302-hfc-mk23-airsoft-gas-pistol.html#.VvbiktKLSt8

BUT - I don't think the item is actually in stock tbh

it is another website of onlybbguns or iwholesalers it seems

and onlybbguns don't have any in stock:

http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/hfc-hg-302-mk23-airsoft-gas-pistol.html#.Vvbi6dKLSt8

but at £41:85 delivered - that is a bargain if you wanna take a chance of them having one left

even on only it is £50 - even with using the " RC10 " to get 10% off that takes it down to £45

so under £42 is cheap as heck

(RC10 don't work on airshooter site - I already tried that when I saw they might be same company)

sadly I wouldn't hold your breath but that is about one of the best cheap as chips gas guns you can get

27 or 28 rnd mag - go nutz

You could go nutz on a TM pistol or WE or a cheap n cheerful HFC - STTi - SRC (same company just rebrands)

ps - you are wise sir and understand the regulations governing airsoft - some may seem a little daft but we abide by them all the same

so refreshing to see that some people understand rather than - my gun why can't I do this or that with it attitude of some people

or bbguns4less - damn I don't like to recommend these guys....

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/kj-works-stealth-assassin-socom-mk23-gas-pistol.html

oh well have a think and see what takes ya fancy - just use eye protection & common sense indoors

(not that you should go senseless outdoors either)

@Sitting Duck Thanks very much for the info on the M23 and the offer of the GG-105 but I'm after a gas blowback. I purchased a Umarex GBB air pistol a couple of years ago and since then it's like there's something missing when shooting my other non-GBB pistols. I realise I could get better gas efficiency, distance and accuracy with a non-GBB but I'll put up with all that for the fun factor.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.