New player needs advice on lipo's and charger

Danny-T418

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I'm thinking about changing my battery's for lipo's I have a G&G t418 I have read mixed reviews some say if you let them run down to much they blow up and if you discharge them to much the can blow up some say they damage the gun do you need to discharge lipo because I'm thinking about buying a nuprol 3000mAh 7.4v 20c nunchuck lipo battery and the charger is a balance charger with display but it's say it will only charge 2-cell 7.4 but the battery does not say how many cell it has and the charger isn't a discharger can any one help I'm confused

• Supporters

search button helps

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28401-moving-to-lipos-whadda-i-need-to-know/

not typing all that crap again

discharge - nah sod that - remove lipo and as long as they stay above 3v per cell they will charge fine

as long as they don't charge above max 4.2v per cell that is fine

in a perfect world cells balance perfectly - but hey ho if that don't always work

use a bit of common sense - if they look puffed or damaged then replace

a little puff is fine - don't puncture them or you will regret it like I did

search button helps

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/28401-moving-to-lipos-whadda-i-need-to-know/

not typing all that crap again

discharge - nah sod that - remove lipo and as long as they stay above 3v per cell they will charge fine

as long as they don't charge above max 4.2v per cell that is fine

in a perfect world cells balance perfectly - but hey ho if that don't always work

use a bit of common sense - if they look puffed or damaged then replace

a little puff is fine - don't puncture them or you will regret it like I did

thanks mate new to the forum I'll have look through the link video was insane cheers

• Supporters

Really - I've got one 11.1v that is a bit puffy but not noticed it on my usual 7.4v's

one of them got run really low that gun failed to cycle but still works which I was quite amazed at - thought yeah that lipo is shagged

I mean they come charged up - to what actual volts I don't know probably 3.7v-ish per cell

What I will say is that a cheap B3 type balance charger was deffo over charging a bit - maybe 4.25v+ per cell

and that may not have helped

Also if anybody gets a LiFe battery - well don't coz think they ain't that great

DO NOT USE A LIPO OR LIPO SETTING as these are 3.3v cells

if you charge a LiFe up to 4.2v it will damage the LiFe battery

some chargers have a LiFe function or setting - so use the LiFe setting for LiFe batteries - not LiPo settings

No the problem was that I fully charged them after a game (7.4V) and then didn't use them for sonetimes months (the next milsim).

I replaced them and now discharge them down to about 50% for storage and they are fine.

No the problem was that I fully charged them after a game (7.4V) and then didn't use them for sonetimes months (the next milsim).

I replaced them and now discharge them down to about 50% for storage and they are fine.

What's the best way to discharge them, just shoot the gun?

I bought one of these and just leave the battery plugged in until I get it down to the right level of discharge.

RC Cell Meter-7 Digital Battery Capacity Checker for NiCd/NiMH/LiPo MJ

About £5

• Supporters

there is setting on B6 in the manual somewhere...

I have enough fun if I try to alter Lipo to Life and back to Lipo again

jeez I tried saving some settings but thought a prog fet was tricky but B6 gets a bit wtf if you start altering some of them mofo settings

that is all I know

yeah got one them thingy's too but for checking amps really or balancing qwirky lipo's

had one on B6 that was all over the place....

balanced on this thingy majig

recharged and lipo balanced a little better - bit w@nked still but balanced w@nked than before

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Helicopter-Watt-Meter-DC-60V-100A-Balance-Voltage-Battery-Power-Analyzer-UK-/291305470857?hash=item43d328bb89:g:ticAAOSwkNZUcql0

sure they were only about £7 or £8 last year - jeez inflation...

or are you talking about this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Ring-Style-Lipo-Battery-Voltage-Checker-HobbyKing-2-6S-RC-Lipoly-Cell-UK-/191703062448?hash=item2ca26497b0:g:BZAAAOSw~1FUXOm8

post-7324-0-44309600-1458994800_thumb.jpeg

I keep it real simple.

A LIPO charger that balances and the lights all go green when they're charged and one of these meters to monitor charge in percentage terms and to slowly discharge my batteries when needed.

Guest PT247

Hi guys I'm thinking about changing my battery's for lipo's I have a G&G t418 I have read mixed reviews some say if you let them run down to much they blow up and if you discharge them to much the can blow up some say they damage the gun do you need to discharge lipo because I'm thinking about buying a nuprol 3000mAh 7.4v 20c nunchuck lipo battery and the charger is a balance charger with display but it's say it will only charge 2-cell 7.4 but the battery does not say how many cell it has and the charger isn't a discharger can any one help I'm confused

don't worry about the scaremongers. Yes a poorly treated LiPo can catch fire, so don't pierce it or hit it with a hammer etc. Don't run them flat as they won't recover easily so will destroy the batteries life. a 7.4v LiPo is a 2 cell LiPo, 11.1v is 3 cell. Day before a game, plug in battery to balance charger, turn it on, wait a bit.... wolla... battery is charged. They hold their charge well over time, they do not need any more fuss than that really, just keep an eye out for them swelling or damage to the protective covering and don't short them out.

• Supporters

don't worry about the scaremongers...

They only catch fire if the UK comes out of EU

No lipo's are a lot safer if we come out of EU then we have more control over our lipo's borders economy and funny shaped carrots/banana's etc...

The scaremongering is stop idiots like me thinking stupid thoughts and being a dick with lipo's

trust me they are fine - just don't do stupid $hit...

(says king stupid $hit himself)

don't worry about the scaremongers. Yes a poorly treated LiPo can catch fire, so don't pierce it or hit it with a hammer etc. Don't run them flat as they won't recover easily so will destroy the batteries life. a 7.4v LiPo is a 2 cell LiPo, 11.1v is 3 cell. Day before a game, plug in battery to balance charger, turn it on, wait a bit.... wolla... battery is charged. They hold their charge well over time, they do not need any more fuss than that really, just keep an eye out for them swelling or damage to the protective covering and don't short them out.

thanks makes things simple for me

• Supporters

look at ya gun - it is likely small tamiya....

mMF7xCij-Yxir2zwygJPJuA.jpg

two top right connectors are male/female small tamiya - reckon 90 to 98% stock guns will be small tamiya

(probably 99% but I don't own every gun out there)

bottom right 4 are large tamiya - unlikely to be used in most guns - maybe big fixed stocks but should have adapter from Large to Small Tamiya

bottom left is a small tamiya btw like top right two

3 on top left are deans - usually found on upgraded guns - allows more current to flow through thicker 16awg wires to motor

(16awg is quite thick and not all guns/gearboxes can squeeze in wires as thick as that)

other connectors found/used...

mini deans - unlikely to found but have seen a US baby M4 AEG that came with mini deans

XT60 & banana plugs - mainly used on RC stuff than airsoft but some do use these connectors on guns I have seen

Airsoft is usually small tamiya or Deans if upgraded as in picture

sometimes using RC batteries that have XT60 connectors you need to re-do connections or get correct adapter

polarity differs also on Large & Small Tamiya's so if using an adapter double check polarity is 101% correct

Lipo's often have a min of 16awg - often 14awg, or higher burst 12awg+ wires in them

jeez - really thought most of all this would be in that 3 page essay posting we done a while back

I think I'm done on this for now - if you speak to componentshop.co.uk they will sort you out and answer any queries

Guest PT247

This may be a silly question but me being a noob I've just been looking a a 7.4 lipo battery and there are two adapters is one of these a deans adapter

it'll have the connector to your gun and it'll have the balance charge connector.

Guest PT247

depending on the type of charger you buy you will either have to connect both to the charger when charging or just the balance connector.

look at ya gun - it is likely small tamiya....

mMF7xCij-Yxir2zwygJPJuA.jpg

two top right connectors are male/female small tamiya - reckon 90 to 98% stock guns will be small tamiya

(probably 99% but I don't own every gun out there) thanks for all your info really has helped

bottom right 4 are large tamiya - unlikely to be used in most guns - maybe big fixed stocks but should have adapter from Large to Small Tamiya

bottom left is a small tamiya btw like top right two

3 on top left are deans - usually found on upgraded guns - allows more current to flow through thicker 16awg wires to motor

(16awg is quite thick and not all guns/gearboxes can squeeze in wires as thick as that)

other connectors found/used...

mini deans - unlikely to found but have seen a US baby M4 AEG that came with mini deans

XT60 & banana plugs - mainly used on RC stuff than airsoft but some do use these connectors on guns I have seen

Airsoft is usually small tamiya or Deans if upgraded as in picture

sometimes using RC batteries that have XT60 connectors you need to re-do connections or get correct adapter

polarity differs also on Large & Small Tamiya's so if using an adapter double check polarity is 101% correct

Lipo's often have a min of 16awg - often 14awg, or higher burst 12awg+ wires in them

jeez - really thought most of all this would be in that 3 page essay posting we done a while back

I think I'm done on this for now - if you speak to componentshop.co.uk they will sort you out and answer any queries

Maybe if you don't answer duck, people will find the search, perhaps someone should do a thread of threads on airsoft batteries...

All that said, your help was much appreciated in the questions sticky.

Good stuff, i usually charge my lipo after a game, guess i got to stop.

:) :)

• Supporters

Maybe if you don't answer duck, people will find the search.....

Oooh if only that would work....

No offense to anybody starting a new member - new post though most has been asked before........

Not being funny to people starting a new post - but by the time you composed a - new player need help....

What is best gun, bb, battery, site to play, scope, blah blah blah.......

you could of banged in about 10% of the total characters used into the search function

yes I know it is a bit crap with 3 character search crap

but believe it or not Google is pretty $hit hot for coming up with answers too

This place is brilliant - mainly coz of me :D - no seriously - excuse me for getting smug older members it was a joke, I have $hitloads still to learn myself

There are also other good ones to browse like airsoft society - big US site, even if we/me says one thing - don't take it as pure 101% gospel

do some research of your own - I have been known to be very wrong on occasions - yup I can talk very fluently out of my ar$e I have been correctly put in my place - plus as said earlier I am always learning from much wiser people on here and other places - plus my numerous many many mistakes & failures

Seriously - sometimes people should do a little digging first - heck you may uncover a few examples even the wisest of the wise are unaware of

I'm often searching google for various examples of my own balls ups to see what I did wrong and what I should of done

Don't always listen to me - I am still a noob or a nob - whichever you prefer to use :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.