New Player Advice with Gun Purchasing. PLEASE ANSWER <3

DonLykeB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I'm fairly new to airsoft and it's sparked enough interest in me to want to invest into my own gun.

BUT I would like some help from a community in what I should buy.

What I want to buy is a sniper. So far I've heard a lot of good things about Tokyo Marui and I've also heard that they're brilliant out of the box (I dont plan to mod).

I have my eyes set on the Tokyo Marui L96 AWS - http://airsoftzone.co.uk/l96-aws-black-spring-sniper-rifle-tokyo-marui?filter_name=l96

I just wanted to ask a few questions about this particular rifle. But first, to make things easier, I'll talk about my needs.

I play in a forest and would want to switch between sniping with a squad and firing from cover and camping somewhere by myself and waiting for a target.

Something which has a good range and is reliable.

Something which is fairly powerful.

A nice, well built gun which has a good feel to it.

Now, the questions I would like to ask.

Is the Tokyo Marui rifle a good choice? I have a budget of about £350 but I need to buy a scope, BB's and a mask for protection.

Does FPS matter in this case?

Will it last me? I know basic maintenance, but I plan on keeping this gun for a while as I will need to learn everything about airsoft sniping with it.

Is it good quality?

IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER I CAN GET FOR THE PRICE?

THIS PART IS IMPORTANT...

Lastly, what would you guys recommend I use to get rid of two tone. I don't have a UKARA license but Airsoft Zone allow you to get it painted Two Tone. However I plan to make it all black again when it arrives as I dont want a bright red gun. I've heard acetone works, but would that get rid of the paint they use to make it two tone? or should I just buy black spray paint.

My only problem is that I really dont want to get anything in the internals so I would prefer if I just remove the paint with acetone, or if there is a better chemical to use, please let me know.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND SORRY FOR THE LONG QUESTION.

I just want to make sure I don't mess up with my purchase as it is quite a big one for a first investment.

P.S. I am investing a lot because I want a good quality long lasting gun.

P.P.S. I already have a sidearm :)

<3 Thanks again

What you should do is make sure that sniping is really what you want to do. A lot of new players go in wanting to be a sniper, buy a gun and all the gear, then play and realise that they don't like sniping. It makes sense...there's a lot of waiting around, lining up your shot, pulling the bolt...it's hard work! I'd recommend an AEG myself, but to each their own!

With sniper rifles, you almost always have to upgrade them to get the best results. TM's build quality and reliability are normally excellent, but bear in mind that their FPS is always low. Like, 300fps low. If you want a more powerful rifle, you're better off going for a clone in the end...

But as I say, ensure that you really want to be a sniper. Borrow a rifle for a game, play and see if you truly enjoy the experience. Don't do what I did and buy a gun without testing it, then finding that you don't like the style of play. Also, sorry but I can't help much with the paint question!

Good luck.

Theta

Guest PT247

If you want to snipe, you need to upgrade whatever you buy else it'll not perform as you'd want it to. TMs are ace but as said have low fps so you'll not have a range advantage against an AEG, they will also have a hi-cap and auto fire so you'll struggle to go up against them. Saying this, once you have some experience behind you it can be quite good fun running with a 300fps bolt action rifle. Unfortunately with the TMs is that they seal the cylinder so you have to replace the cylinder, cylinder head, piston, spring, spring guide and trigger mech if you want it to be able to have more power, you'll also want to mod the hop chamber, replace the bucking and inner barrel. I'd suggest buy an AEG, especially if you have £350 to spend, you could get a Krytac for that money which is IMO one of the best mid priced AEGs out there, it'll shoot straight, have great accuracy and you can learn sniping gameplay styles with one for if you decide to go sniper in the future.

yeah yeah, as your first gun buy a sniper and spend 500 quid on it. no. do that later.

Yes TM's are very nice, I have one myself, but it wouldn't be top notch to have the most amount of fun as I could with it. As it's manufactured in japan (I think, somewhere over in East Asia) they have an FPS limit of airsoft guns, it's like 300 FPS. You may have heard of people who own snipers being like "oh ye I have 450 FPS sniper" well yes,this is true, even if they have a TM sniper, what they did was upgrade the FPS, either through a higher power spring OR mancraft SDiK (I'd say these are the main two) but I think there are others.

The problem is, people want to be a l33t sniper with headshots and all, and they watch people like Novritsch, and see him get many kills per game, so you buy a sniper and try be like him, and most likely, you spend money on upgrading, and think "well I'm still crap, I give up" and this deflates you, after you've spent lots of money and have no gun to have fun with. Chances are you could quit airsoft (could, don't though, it's awesome)

though you could go sniper, and have some fun, but it costs a lot, I'd recommend spending the best part of £150 and get your self a G&G CM, which will have you dandy, then after a while, of enjoying airsofting, go into the sniper route.

But if you do end up going sniper route, PM me and I'll tell you how much I spend/what I did/what route I took etc. even if you do go for an AEG PM me anyway and I can let you know about sniping.

If you really want just get a TM VSR/ or JG BAR10 (vsr clone) and then look about on the forums and you'll find what other people did and what advice they got.

Good luck my friend, feel free to PM me if needed.

Hello,

THIS PART IS IMPORTANT... I want to circumvent the law, and I need you guys to help me do it.

Lastly, what would you guys recommend I use to get rid of two tone. I don't have a UKARA ******* but Airsoft Zone allow you to get it painted Two Tone. However I plan to make it all black again when it arrives as I dont want a bright red gun. I've heard ******* works, but would that get rid of the paint they use to make it two tone? or should I just buy black spray paint.

My only problem is that I really dont want to get anything in the internals so I would prefer if I just remove the paint with acetone, or if there is a better chemical to use, please let me know.

If you don't want a two-tone gun, don't buy one.

• Supporters

Tokyo Marui's are good, but a lot of cheaper rifles are a lot better. JG Bar 10, Well snipers, HFC/Cyma VSR etc.. They also don't have crimped cylinders.

The Marui L96 needs more stuff replacing, such as the weak plastic feeding ramp for a metal one. The barrel also has a tendency of being offset for whatever reason.

THIS PART IS IMPORTANT...

Lastly, what would you guys recommend I use to get rid of two tone. I don't have a UKARA license but Airsoft Zone allow you to get it painted Two Tone. However I plan to make it all black again when it arrives as I dont want a bright red gun.

If you're not going to use them for skirmishing, then, for legal reasons, let's not do that. :)

(UKARA isn't a license.)

Guest PT247

Aye, don't buy a 2-tone if you don't want one, but if you do and were to remove the paint I'd suggest stripping the gun down before taking the paint off else you'll make it look shite and cheap and nasty with a half arsed job of removing paint or painting over with a runny overspray all over everything

As already said, don’t buy a two tone then paint it straight away, that is manufacturing a RIF and you need a defence. What you can do is wrap your gun in a scrim scarf to cover the two tone, the gun is still two tone underneath so you are perfectly legal. Paint it once you have a defence in place.

As for the sniper idea, again as others have said DON’T DO IT! Buy a G&G CM16 Two Tone and learn the game before you try sniping or you will probably jack it in after a few games. Or you could get a TM M14 with a two toned stock ( easy to wrap in scrim scarf and easy to camo paint later ) this gun has quite a good range and is popular with DMR Types, you could experiment with quasi sniping with it, but still have auto and big mags for those fast n furious moments.

Tokyo Marui's are good, but a lot of cheaper rifles are a lot better. JG Bar 10, Well snipers, HFC/Cyma VSR etc.. They also don't have crimped cylinders.

The Marui L96 needs more stuff replacing, such as the weak plastic feeding ramp for a metal one. The barrel also has a tendency of being offset for whatever reason.

If you're not going to use them for skirmishing, then, for legal reasons, let's not do that. :)

(UKARA isn't a license.)

No no. Don't get me wrong. I only plan on using it for airsoft and nothing more

Relative noob here. But am I not right in saying that just because a seller won't accept his defence, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have one.

He is not on UKARA database obviously but it's not the only possible defence is it...

Relative noob here. But am I not right in saying that just because a seller won't accept his defence, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have one.

He is not on UKARA database obviously but it's not the only possible defence is it...

I've read on multiple places that UKARA is nothing more than one of many defenses. Most retailers just require it as part of policy as it's the most reliable. But if you look, some shops sell replica guns without the need of a UKARA. Just strong evidence and defense which shows you will use it for nothing but skirmishing (i.e a membership).

If you don't want a two-tone gun, don't buy one.

But I really want to invest into my own gun as I'm getting kind of sick of having to rent. Also I wasn't trying to bend or twist the law, I wasn't aware that painting it was illegal as long as you intend to use it solely for skirmishing.

However, I have read on multiple places that you can paint a gun if you show that you have a strong defense i.e a membership (which I do have) and lots of receipts. Pretty much you gotta show that you will only use it on a private, insured skirmishing land.

I will also buy a travel case so it won't get shown in public.

One last thing, the gun I plan on buying is a RIF, the retailer just paint it to make it an IF. So if the gun is originally an RIF would it still be an issue if I just remove the paint? I mean, I intend to use it in completely legal boundaries and I have a strong defense which shows that I am a regular skirmisher.

Guest PT247

UKARA is not a defence. Being a regular skirmisher is. UKARA is a list of folk who have a defence that is all. UKARA is useful and also flawed. All the while I can buy pewpewpews I am happy.

Guest PT247

if you are under 18 then you have an issue. If over 18 then I don't get why you cant wait a bit to be UKARA'd as that makes life easier. If you are under 18 then just accept you are not an adult so you have to tow the line until you are!

• Supporters

However, I have read on multiple places that you can paint a gun if you show that you have a strong defense i.e a membership (which I do have)

If you have site membership then whats the issue?

Site membership is your defence, you give your membership details to the retailer they verify it and voila you can buy a rif.

You dont need to two tone it so all the talk of repainting is pointless.

• Moderators

as above really, yourve done the 3 game rule etc, it sounds like you have, if so then your fine anyway and its just a paper filling in exercise with stamps etc. and a formality, to avoid any issues, maybe just follow the processes involved, speak to the retailer about your membership and go from there, you never know

on another note, make sure it is really what you want to do, maybe a few games borrowing one to see, be a shame to waste the money if you don't like it after a few games?.....can always sell it on here :)

If I had £350 to spend on a sniper rifle, and I was new, I'd do this:

- Look on Crawley Surplus' or Action Hobbies website (other retailers are available). Identify the TM VSR compatible ASG/FN Sniper rifles on there for about £99-£150. If you like the look of them, buy one. Then you have a functional, 400+FPS rifle that can be upgraded later on if you like the game play style.

- Use your remaining £200 or so to buy a G&G AEG (perhaps one that could have a scope/bipod added to give you a DMR-esque AEG) so you can swap and change during a game day if sniping becomes a little dry/dour.

Well, that is what I'd do. Zero One have a nice looking GBB AIM SVD on their site for £210 which has more than tempted me.

• Moderators

Dentonboy, your have just made me look now!

And that is without even mentioning the AEG KA SVD on Airsoft World for £200...

• Moderators

thank god for multi tab internet, wife off to work and kids infront of TV eating dry cereal....im a good dad!! haha :)

That is an expensive combination!

Some seriously cheap sniping options available atm...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.