My First Rifle - AGM Sten, G&G CM16, ICS L86A2 Carbine - Pros and Cons

B.S

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gun Do you think I should get?

• AGM Sten Mk.II
    • G&G CM16 Raider-L
    • ICS L86A2 Carbine

-Chose to look at other G&G M4s-

So, I've been making various posts about different AEG Starter Rifles, And From all the feed back I've got It's come down to Three designs. I'm going to list all the pros and Cons from my Point of view, and Put it down to a Vote. It doesn't mean I'll get the one that's voted, I may change my mind by the time I get enough money, I've changed my mind enough as it it. But the ones I keep going back and forth from are these Three;

AGM Sten Mk.II AEG

AGM-Sten-MKII-Full-Metal-AEG-230915-1.JP

-Pros

Very nice WWII Design

Full Metal Body

Cheap Mags

Small

£150 (Average price)

Simple AEG

Good Range / Accuracy

Real Cap Mag

-Cons

Only Full auto

Hard to access Battery

Uncomfortable Grip

Hard To Hold

Large mag, Not many cheap Pouches

Over all, I will eventually get this anyway, as I plan to get a WWII British Infantry and Paratrooper Getup, It's just not very practical or Ergonomic for a first gun.

G&G CM16 Raider-L AEG

C-16P-RDL.jpg

-Pros

Very Practical and Ergonomic

Semi/Full auto selector

£120

High Cap Mag

Highly recommended by, well, Everyone.

Great backup gun

-Cons

I don't like M16s

It'll set me back £120 that I could put towards a gun I like more

Not many others... I just mainly really don't like M16s

ICS L86A2 Carbine AEG

_1000_47FAI.jpg?width=500&height=392&sca

-Pros

AEG

High Cap Mag

Short version, good for CQB

People say L85s often are uncomfortable, But Imagining it, If anything I think I'd like it more. But can't tell until I've tried one (May see if I can test someone else's)

Well, It's British.

Full/Semi auto

Cheap Mags

-Cons

£270

No rails for my Table Lamp.

Sight rail is 19mm

Doesn't come with Battery

Overall, the L85 Is one of my all time Favorite guns, and I really like this AEG, But I've not decided on just this because of people's recommendations, and Because I don't want to get a Gun I won't like, especially for £270.

I hope that I'll be joining you guys on the Battle Field soon, And I hope some people who are looking at these guns perhaps find my pros and cons useful :) I'd welcome opinions, and recommendations.

You said it yourself, the Sten isn't practical or ergonomic, and the CM16 is recommended by everyone. For a starter gun, you really aren't gonna want to spend anything above, say, £200. G&G's entry-level M4s are so highly recommended for a reason. They're reliable, they perform well, they're easy to customise, cheap, well-built...the list goes on. Personally, I'd suggest that you take the advice of so many other players on here...

On the other hand, look at this way. Airsoft is a constantly growing sport, and new innovations are constantly being made. In two decades, we've gone from TM'S Famas to a ridiculous number of different models. For your first AEG, you want to make sure that you're happy with your purchase, because the chances are you'll be using it a lot and for a long time. Why limit yourself to three choices?

There's so much out there to choose from. This forum is a bank of knowledge, so use it to your full advantage! If ever you need a more specific idea, feel free to hit me up.

Happy 'softing :D

Theta

Thought I should weigh in my opinion on the Sten. It's a nice little gun, but I definitely wouldn't recommend someone having it as their only AEG, let alone their first one.

Your pros are generally spot on, it has got a nice range considering the size, and it's lightweight and easy to maneuver with. However, the mags would be an issue, because with only low and mid caps available, and no semi-auto mode, you'd need quite a few. I burnt through 6 110rnd magazines in about 20 minutes last time I used one, simply by having to fire two shots where I would normally fire one. The King Arms boxes of magazines are by far the best to buy if you're looking to last a whole skirmish, but I think they're pretty hard to find in stock anywhere now.

The battery isn't too hard to get to, a twist of an allen wrench gets the stock off, and that's all there is to it. It's surprisingly comfortable to hold as well, and I found that dump pouches or thigh-pockets worked well for carrying magazines. Be warned though, it's not a particularly sturdy gun. Screws come loose easily, bits fall off, and the stock eventually develops a wobble that no amount of tightening will fix.

To conclude, it's a fun gun to use, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first gun. I think you'd benefit from getting something with more available upgrade parts, highly available accessories, and a selector switch (otherwise you risk marshals saying something like 'this next game is single shot only!', and then you're stuffed). Also, it hasn't got a safety.

Out of the three you've listed, I'd recommend the CM16. Like you, however, I don't like M4 style guns, so maybe not. My first AEG was the Jing Jong T3K3, and that served me well for over a year before my next one. Light weight, cheap, impressive range, and simple to upgrade. Plus it looked unique and fancy :D

I hear good things about CYMAs AKs and JG g36s too I think a 270 quid starter gun is a bit ott. Then again maybe I am just poor or tight or both!

The sten is automatic, eh, well, you may know a lot of sites only allow semi auto, the site I tend to play at allows semi but not auto, apart from special days, when sometimes it's allowed (very rare)

So that's my pointer

Guest PT247

I hear good things about CYMAs AKs and JG g36s too I think a 270 quid starter gun is a bit ott. Then again maybe I am just poor or tight or both!

I think people's budgets are their own business, I know I would not recommend a Combat Machine if money was not an issue as there are many many many better guns. We recommend the CM range as they are durable and reliable with plenty of upgrade potential and cost a decent price. If someone asked me what I would recommend in the £300-£400 range it would be a Krytac, if it was unlimited I'd suggest buying a couple of guns of different roles, etc.

Guest PT247

As it goes, my first AEG was the ICS L86A2 Carbine and it was an alright gun, it didn't shoot as well as my APS Mini Patriot which cost a lot less and had a barrel under half the length.

As it goes, my first AEG was the ICS L86A2 Carbine and it was an alright gun, it didn't shoot as well as my APS Mini Patriot which cost a lot less and had a barrel under half the length.

Well, Budgets more just a matter of time than anything else, If I've got something to save for then I'll work my ass of for it until I have exactly what I planned to get, But for that to be the case I need to know what I'm gonna look forward to getting! :)

And as far as the Sten goes, I've basically ruled that out already. It's just between the other two now, And I still can't decide. As far as I've gathered, The CM16 is best for performance, and basically everything, But the L86A2 Carbine Is just sooooooooo awesome. I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a little performance for that. But, it is over 2x more so I'm still in two minds. All I can do is keep narrowing it down.

Well my two penny worth is I have a raider and am very happy with it. Budget is a question of time but if your paying an extra 25 quid a time to rent a gun then that adds up real quick and eats away at said budget.

Well, I went searching for Competitors to the G&G CM16, Anything cheap enough doesn't tend to be a Design I'm fond of (Since that would be either WWII, or British) But I've found a few that would perhaps be preferable to the M16. Namely the G&G MP5 (Which I like with the EBB) and the CYMA M14 AEG. Both are designs I prefer to the M16, But neither are as Practical; The MP5 has no rails, The M14 only has a Sight rail, no Torch. What ever the case perhaps I could get the L86 then a Cheaper backup? Depends how I feel when I have £130, I'll decide then If it's worth getting one of these.

Well my two penny worth is I have a raider and am very happy with it. Budget is a question of time but if your paying an extra 25 quid a time to rent a gun then that adds up real quick and eats away at said budget.

Yeah, it's either go without Airsoft and get the Gun quicker, Or spend a bunch on hires and take longer to get the gun.

I could go Pistol only, but at my local site it's not such a good idea (It's an old Airfield)

• Supporters

Well, I went searching for Competitors to the G&G CM16, Anything cheap enough doesn't tend to be a Design I'm fond of (Since that would be either WWII, or British) But I've found a few that would perhaps be preferable to the M16. Namely the G&G MP5 (Which I like with the EBB) and the CYMA M14 AEG. Both are designs I prefer to the M16, But neither are as Practical; The MP5 has no rails, The M14 only has a Sight rail, no Torch. What ever the case perhaps I could get the L86 then a Cheaper backup? Depends how I feel when I have £130, I'll decide then If it's worth getting one of these.

Get the M14 and a barrel clamp mount for a torch (a proper one not your Laura Ashley feature piece).

• Supporters

-Cons

I don't like M16s

It'll set me back £120 that I could put towards a gun I like more

Not many others... I just mainly really don't like M16s

Well that's ok then because that is not an M16.

Well that's ok then because that is not an M16.

Errr... Its not? 'G&G CM16 Raider-L'

Get the M14 and a barrel clamp mount for a torch (a proper one not your Laura Ashley feature piece).

Well, The M16 is actually in use by the British Army, So it would suit my get up better. I can spray paint some of the parts too, to look like this:

l129a1_2.jpg

If you know of the exact model this is, I may look at that instead (Depending on price)

As they say, It's close enough for Government work. I don't need it to be the exact spec, it is after all just a Starter / Eventually Backup gun.

The Ones in use seem to be the 'L129A1' As above, and the 'L119A1' Both of which are proving hard to find an exact replica of, So I may just get one of the G&G M4/M16 variants and make it look like that.

L119A1:

1K_SFW_01.jpg

So I basically Started again, went through all the G&G M4 style guns, and I've narrowed it back down to three again - I'm definitly gonna get a G&G M4/M16 it's just a matter of which. I'll post a new topic on it tommorow, it's 4am and I don't want to be getting up late tomorrow or I'll be too tired for Sunday :)

• Supporters

Errr... Its not? 'G&G CM16 Raider-L'

It's an M4. Just because they called it a cm16 doesn't mean it's an m16 I'm afraid.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.