Have I been scammed by The Bunker Colchester?

Ghousjas

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm new to the site and to the airsoft scene generally so would appreciate some advice.

In mid-September 2015 I bought a 2nd hand H&K G36 from The Bunker in Colchester for £240. Ray gave me 2 x batteries and a charger for free. At my first game prior to the very first game starting the day after buying the gun it wouldn't work. Luckily a mate had a spare weapon with him! The Bunker fixed it free of charge.

At the next game about 6 weeks later it breaks down mid way through the day at RAW. Again The Bunker fix it foc.

Guess what.....just before the next game (6th Feb 2016) I'm testing the weapon in my garden and the gears shear on it (so I'm told anyway). This time I consider two things and mention to Ray at The Bunker.

1. Cash in and get a new gun.

2. Get a refund.

At the end of Feb after several calls to Ray. I'm told that to cash the gun in I'll get £60. I consider this to be outrageous and request a refund. In my view the weapon has not been fit for purpose from day 1 and so a refund should still be viable. In fact the only reason I entertained the cash in was to maintain the gaming relationship. But £60?! who is pulling whose plonker here!!!

Today (21/03/16) I popped into the shop to try and sort things out amicably after being fobbed off on the phone several times since Feb. A shop asst gives Ray a call and he tells her to tell me that because I have had the weapon for 8 months (?) I'm not eligible for a refund.

Can someone provide some advice please? I can't for one second believe I'm being treated fairly and feel as if I have been completely and utterly stitched up.

I'm unable to provide specific examples but I've got a friend who bought a pistol here which was broken on first purchase and repaired again and again.

Also neither me nor my pal have been UKARA registered despite constant requesting. Is this legal? I fulfilled the registration requirements at time of purchase.

All advice appreciated. Can't help but feel like this is a cowboy operation that gives the wider airsoft world a bad name.

In mid-September 2015 I bought a 2nd hand H&K G36 from The Bunker in Colchester for £240.

What brand is it?

Was it sold as new?

This is not an airsoft problem but consumer rights. But since sooooooooo many airsoft companies don't follow consumer rights... i'm sure we can help.

Price sounds ridiculous though.

Did you get a receipt or any paperwork at the time on purchase? If so, what does it say?

Make = H&K

RECEIPT = Only the printout from the card payment.

H&K do not make airsoft guns.

H&K designed the layout of the outer body, and will have licensed any trade marks on the gun.

Sorry I didnt notice it was 2nd hand in the OP. I'm inclined to say you were scammed, but without knowing what brand it is, its hard to say if the price was bad, ask the guys that sold it to you, if they didnt know what brand it is, there is NO WAY they could have chosen that price in good faith.

• Head Moderator

H&K is Heckler & Koch, the German company behind the real G36. The brand is the maker of the airsoft gun, i.e. G&G, Tokyo Marui, SRC, Umarex, Well, etc, which could be stamped/painted on the body.

As it was sept 2015, I think you have up to 6 YEARS worth of some cover under the Sale of Goods Act, but whether you'd get a full refund - pass.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

As a suggestion though, only refer to the seller as The Bunker - not some dude called Ray. The rights you have differ depending on whether a retailer vs. a private seller sold it you - I think.

You bought a gun which was secondhand and with no declared warranty. The gun broke a couple of times and they fixed it.

Many new guns come with short warranties. Legally, I dont think youve got a leg to stand on after all this time.

The price sounds a little on the high side but caveat emptor.

• Supporters

You bought a gun which was secondhand and with no declared warranty. The gun broke a couple of times and they fixed it.

Many new guns come with short warranties. Legally, I dont think youve got a leg to stand on after all this time.

The price sounds a little on the high side but caveat emptor.

Not necessarily the sale of goods act has one little line that comes in very useful "fit for purpose" it doesn't mention warranty it just states that all goods must be fit for purpose. Thats why if you buy a TV with a years warranty and it breaks down after 18 months you can still get it fixed by the company because you would reasonably expect a tv to last longer than that.

If he sold the gun through the onsite shop for that price then you could argue that although second hand you would expect it to be checked and sold as fit for purpose.

Second hand through a store isn't the same as a second hand private sale.

If you can prove that he acted immorally and abused a trusted position to sell faulty goods then you could also go for that. The time is an issue but if you have a record of the gun being repeatedly returned and not sorted properly then it becomes irrelevant.

I wouldn't think it would be easy to win in a small claims court but it is possible.

For the sake of £240 it would be a lot of hassle I would chalk it down to live and learn.

Edit; Gears breaking after 8 months isn't that uncommon to be fair. Airsoft gun failures are more about usage than time.

Just take it into a different tech and pay for the repairs it would be easier.

Well, yeah nice point, try and find someone who can repair it.

Sure there's someone around these forums lurking around who can do the job.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.