Word of warning - serious eye wound in safe zone

rosco290
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was at The Mall yesterday and it was clear to see that this incident has had a knock on effect.

There was a large sign at the entrance to the safe zone saying no mags in guns and no dry firing in the safe zone. The incident (no site names given) was mentioned in the briefing and the fact that dry firing was not permitted in the safe zone was reiterated throughout the day. One chap got a final warning due to putting a mag his weapon in the safe zone but apart from that the ruling was adhered to by all.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a site in Exeter that doesn't mention dry firing in the safe zone at all, I dont care that its an open safe zone. No dry firing

All sites I've visited has stated no dry firing but there is some that don't.

• Moderators

it was mentioned at Tudders yesterday, but they have always had a strict policy when ive been there, and I heard no battery testing/dry firing in the car park :)

out of curiosity, many sites we play at are old, how many mention asbestos?, now that was mentioned as well, warned of areas to keep clear of and the area cordoned off again (some idiot moved the fencing, not heard that at UA and the buildings there are very likely to contain it with dust being kicked up due to vandalism :(

It is & it's a crying shame that things like this happen but sometimes we do have to learn the hard way :( I will be wearing my eyrpro in the safe zone now (my sites pretty hot on safety) & I will be making my boys do the same

You and me both matey!

The sites here (IOM) are pretty hot on safety. Safety briefings every game - even if it's only regulars who turn up. Mags out, no dry firing in safe zone. If you want to dry fire, put your eyepro on and walk out of the safe zone. Makes testing your battery etc a bit more of a nuisance, but a price everyone gladly pays for the extra safety.

Terrible accident - but you have to wonder if these kids were ever given a safety briefing? You do not point an airsoft weapon at someone who is not wearing eyepro. Ever. Even if they are wearing eyepro, you don't point an airsoft gun at them unless in the right context (in a live game). This is basically the number 1 rule in all weapon safety discussions, if everything else has failed so long as the gun is pointed in a safe direction there can be no incidents.

There were obviously multiple other failures that lead to this tragic incident, but that is #1.

• 1 month later...

It has been a number of weeks since the accident so not sure how many of you will pick up on this, but I am the dad of the boy who was shot in the eye.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and concern.

He has permanently lost the site in his eye but he seems to be coping quite well. Just hope it doesn't hit him in the future. He is back rock climbing and up to most of his usual tricks.

For the record, he finished the game, removed the mag but left the gun in the game area so did not make safe. This was a mistake.

In conversation the other lad who is not a friend but was known to one of his friends, asked if he could borrow the gun. He went out into the game area to bring it back but did not check it. I am not sure about timing in relation to, if people were still coming back in from the game. Maybe someone could fill in that info for me. Was everyone else out of the game zone?

He was not testing or dry firing the gun in the safe zone, but looking at it and seeing how it felt. He did not realise there was a BB in the chamber. No excuse though he should not have pointed at someone, safe or not.

I don't want to enter a debate on the rights and wrongs of this accident, I am posting this to let you all know that he is coping. It was and is a trauma. I would like to thank rosco in particular for helping out.

I am not an airsoft player, it was the boys granddad who got them interested. However I have spent enough time playing rugby for 30 years and partaking in many other activities and have seen many injuries, though non as bad as this. We cannot wrap ourselves in cotton wool or our kids, otherwise they will spend all day on the Xbox.

Was this accident avoidable? Yes aren't they all. We can all say what if?

Who is to blame? As mentioned by a number of people, several parties including to some extent my son.

One post was not too complementary to my lad (I think) but we all have our opinions, even if we do not know the full facts.

I could go on all night but will not bore you all.

Guys, enjoy your activity, do not get hung up on the over zealous safety freaks who would stop us enjoying life. We do these things sometimes because of the element of risk. Be safe all of you so that this cannot happen again.

I am glad to see that so many have reacted positively to good suggestions to make the safe zone safe.

Forums tend to have a lot less vitriol than social media. You don't owe any of us anything. I don't think anyone has had permanent eye damage before from playing airsoft in the UK (not sure this even can be described as playing), point is, don't think ill of the granddad.

There was a lot of bad 2nd hand information which did paint your son as worthy of a share of the fault, but from what you have said it sounds like this is not the case, whether it was his gun or not, it is not necessarily his responsibility to clear it on leaving the game zone. I borrowed someone's gun today, and embarrassingly I couldn't find the magazines release - so I waited in the game zone, if it played out the way it you've put it I can't see how your son could take any blame/responsibility, sure they're plenty of things even he could have done to avoid this, but not to the degree that it could be described as blameworthy* of the result.

*directly/or even partially responsible

Shoot me down if this is nosey, is the guy who pulled the trigger okay (psychologically), and was he protected by site insurance?

• Supporters

As I said in an earlier post, there's no one cause for an accident like this.

Certainly in this case though your son is without blame, a loaded gun in the game area is 100% acceptable.

Glad to hear he's doing well.

• Supporters

If I was the one not complimentary or one of them then may I publicly apologize

As a father myself I like all of us on here was so shaken to the core that such a terrible accident took place

and if it was me that was unkind with some of my ramblings I'm so very sorry.....

I wish your son only but best wishes and the other kid in trying get on with their young lives

Laying blame will not change this terrible unfortunate matter as we all know

But hopefully this unfortunate matter may hopefully prevent or at least reduce the chance of this ever happening again

Hopefully other younger players will have learnt from this like the rest of us

But best wishes to your son and all your family and the other kid too

Dad2003, I'd just like to say thank you for coming to the board and updating us with the situation. I hope all the boys manage to bounce back from this accident. It's a wake-up call to all of us that none of us are invulnerable and mistakes can have serious and permanent consequences.

Always trying to be the smart-arse aren't you.

Well, I did consider that comment might be inappropriate here, but ultimately, some of us will never put H&S second, and it was not my intention to be rude (unlike you).

As for always, most certainly not, I delete more than 50% of my post drafts (in lieu of not posting at all), because it is not uncommon, but not intended with malice.

Well, I did consider that comment might be inappropriate here, but ultimately, some of us will never put H&S second, and it was not my intention to be rude (unlike you).

As for always, most certainly not, I delete more than 50% of my post drafts, because it is not uncommon, but not intended with malice.

Well in that case maybe you should take a second read of what you write before posting. All I was saying was that it was a reminder that accidents can happen with serious consequence but you chose to nit-pick at the wording and imply that some of us don't take safety that seriously.

Yes my post was rude and out of character from what I usually write. Intentionally so.

I Have spoken to the mother of the boy who was responsible, as I said they are not really known to us.

He appears to be struggling with what happened. Hopefully he can get some help with it.

Hopefully you can find it in yourself to reach out that kid and offer any help you can. After all, he's only a kid... just like yours. I'm sure you and your son reaching out to him to help him get past what has happened would go much farther than intervention by any shrink.

Archived