Word of warning - serious eye wound in safe zone

rosco290
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I think the site handing out (ballistic) safety goggles for use in the safe zone, for a £5 deposit, to be returned later would be better. For one thing, if your gun is out of your sight for too long, how can you be sure it's still safe.

I am not sure on the extra zone for leaving weapons. I see plenty of people (myself included) tinkering with stuff in the safe zone. a lot of sites dont even have a decent safe zone, lack of tables, chairs, toilets etc.. so an extra area might be pushing it.

Thing is once you start playing how do you know somebody won't come back and run off with a few people's backup weapons...

Where did that guy go - $hit where is my 74, - screw your 74 where's my sniper - f*ck them where's my other krytac & TM pistol.....

The sock idea is easier idea but still think if you don't like leaving your stuff in an en-suite area then bring it in safe-zone in a gun bag or something

I don't know what will work best for all sites but great to see we are thinking of various ways that this could be avoided or at very least reduced

Maybe the kid or his parents could sue the site for negligence but forget massive amounts of money

though I'm sure injury laywers 4 you but we will take 40% of your settlement will do their utmost to screw everyone over

I just remember a bloke losing a finger at work about 5 years ago due to a machine fault - even with unions involved he got only a modest amount

I know an eye is more severe than a finger of course but the point I'm trying to make.....

If anybody was running a site, wouldn't they be seriously reviewing their safety issues after this ???

One tiny lapse is all it could take, then they could be looking at a possible claim against them...

Ahh but you signed a waiver they argue....

But you failed to ensure all players were abiding by the conditions you were supposed to enforce and ensuring they were doing as instructed

You can see the mess that will await the site - insurance indemnity or whatever

Then they may sue the owner if that fails

It is a mess - I'm no lawyer or solicitor but as the UK ends up like America suing the ar$e of everybody I think most sites should be reviewing their safety code

The safe zone is only really a SAFER ZONE - if there is person and a gun in there it is not 100% safe due to idiot factor

In game if somebody Joe public walks a dog on field or anywhere near us, guns down well in front of us then and only then can you lift mask/eyepro - whoah betide anybody who even thinks of touching their gun or face the wrath of Happy Peter - head/owner at my local

it sickens me it has happened, could of been somebody I know or worse my own kid

It is terrible it happened - really shouldn't have, but alas it is too late but we all gotta learn from this - think we all know that

I just hope the kid's surgery goes as well as can be expected, but I ain't too optimistic

hope/wish it was a graze and minor damage but I'm shuddering coz I'm thinking otherwise.... :(

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt Absolute Airsoft the lot that runs Blitz CQB as well? After the comments on that particular thread this is hardly great advertising.

All mags removed before entering the safe zone and no dry-firing, no warnings and no second chances. lets hope the lad makes a full and speedy recovery.

The safe zone is only really a SAFER ZONE - if there is person and a gun in there it is not 100% safe due to idiot factor

In game id somebody of public walks a dog on field or anywhere near us, guns down well in front of us then and only then can you lift mask/eyepro - whoah betide anybody who even thinks of touching their gun or face the wrath of Happy Peter - head/owner at my local

it sickens me it has happened, could of been somebody I know or worse my own kid

It is terrible it happened - really shouldn't have, but alas it is too late but we all gotta learn from this - think we all know that

I just hope the kid's surgery goes as well as can be expected, but I ain't too optimistic

hope/wish it was a graze and minor damage but I'm shuddering coz I'm thinking otherwise.... :(

It's funny you should say that. I wonder how many liability waivers fail to distinguish between the play areas and the 'safe' areas when expressing "eye protection must be worn". Or worse, specify either/neither but not both.

• Supporters

I'm sure any decent lawyer could rip the owners a new one whatever the waiver says tbh

I could list loads for both sides but I'm no lawyer - but incident did take place in " safe zone "

All sites say remove mag clear gun blah blah blah - to fully check & enforce it is another matter

The safe zone will never ever be 101% safe - but we gotta make it a lot more safer

no guns - no chances - well suppose there is a risk of grenade or thunderflash going off I suppose

sorry I can't totally eliminate all risks and paint nice fluffy clouds in safe zones - got enough DIY to do at home

I'm sure any decent lawyer could rip the owners a new one whatever the waiver says tbh

I could list loads for both sides but I'm no lawyer - but incident did take place in " safe zone "

All sites say remove mag clear gun blah blah blah - to fully check & enforce it is another matter

The safe zone will never ever be 101% safe - but we gotta make it a lot more safer

no guns - no chances - well suppose there is a risk of grenade or thunderflash going off I suppose

sorry I can't totally eliminate all risks and paint nice fluffy clouds in safe zones - got enough DIY to do at home

I do like how TWA sometimes do guns down/masks off breaks in the summer which actually make the play areas safer than the safe zone.

• Supporters

Like Samurai my eyepro goes on at the start of the day and comes off at the end when I get in my car (this has the added benefit of keeping the lenses warm and therefore less likely to fog up).

I feel for the kid, if the BB has pierced his eyeball then he's probably going to lose the use of that eye.

We have to all get some kind of perspective here though, this is the first instance of this kind of thing I've heard of happening at an airsoft site. Considering how many games happen every week and how many players there are the chances of this happening are very slim, standing in an airsoft 'safe' zone is still safer than skateboarding and no one is suggesting we ban skateboards.

The only reason this will be 'bad for the sport' is if airsofters do their normal sh*t of getting on their moral high horses of wanting to 'save the sport' that's so desperately under threat from f*cking NO ONE. We are so off the radar of anyone with any real influence it's not even possible to describe it, a quick read of the Policing and Crime bill draft will show you how little our dark conservative overlords care.

In game if somebody Joe public walks a dog on field or anywhere near us, guns down well in front of us

That's another thing we found odd. At one point there were two guys in a field well within range of a lot of the guns being used and it all just carried on like they weren't there. Theres no fence around some parts of the site, how would it go if someone injured a non player by accident?

Isnt Absolute Airsoft the lot that runs Blitz CQB as well? After the comments on that particular thread this is hardly great advertising.

Not sure about this but they haven't had the best reviews on previous threads on here. Tried to go there with an open mind but they weren't up to the same standard as other sites I've played at.

We have to all get some kind of perspective here though, this is the first instance of this kind of thing I've heard of happening at an airsoft site. Considering how many games happen every week and how many players there are the chances of this happening are very slim, standing in an airsoft 'safe' zone is still safer than skateboarding and no one is suggesting we ban skateboards.

The only reason this will be 'bad for the sport' is if airsofters do their normal sh*t of getting on their moral high horses of wanting to 'save the sport' that's so desperately under threat from f*cking NO ONE. We are so off the radar of anyone with any real influence it's not even possible to describe it, a quick read of the Policing and Crime bill draft will show you how little our dark conservative overlords care.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/13341251.Skateboard_ban_call_after_woman_s_arm_broken_in_Bournemouth_Square_collision/

And we should not downplay the potential significance of this incident. This happened in Maidenhead, yeah? Who is MP for Maidenhead - the person who gets crazy folks turning up at constituent surgeries moaning? The Home Secretary Teresa May is.

i was at a site not long ago and was in the safe zone for lunch

the marshals just came back all of a sudden click and bang on the wall that i was laying on few inches away from my head

the marshals went mad and kick them off site

came over and check if me and the table was ok and they moaned all day about it

it is scary how easy people get carried away with looking at guns and not actually checking properly

i think that glasses should be worn all the time now this has happened

• Supporters

It really isn't that hard to have a no dry firing or mags in the safe zone rule and therefore no requirement for people to wear EyePro in the safezone. The issue seems to be a series of basic safety rules waren't enforced in this situation and possibly one of the worst outcomes has resulted. Fingers crossed for the kid with the eye injury that his situation improves, and the kid that pulled the trigger will need some serious counselling because of a fraction of a second and a stupid decision.

I have been concerned in the past with the behaviour of some in the safe zone but a site that are on it like they should be deal with this before it becomes a situation. It's very easy to take ownership and tell people not to do stuff yourself (I'm a teacher so "the look" and telling off comes as second nature now) and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself speaking to the marshals and they should sort it out.

A simple chat with new players by organisers about general gun safety takes seconds, a simple rule about no pulling triggers and no mags in the safe zone. Players there raising concerns about safety as dry firing was happening and should have been stopped prior to it getting this far. IE instilling a sense of responsibility for everyones safety by every player.

Any or all of these things would have changed the result of this.

That's my view on it. Bad for absolute airsoft, more than likely. For Airsoft overall, No.

• Supporters

I'm not getting on any morale high horse but it could be prevented from happening again however rare and isolated this incident

Not for one single minute saying marshals can ease up if no guns in safe zone

Imagine for one split second it was one of your own or a m8, or come to that it was a totally innocent player that got his eye shot out

Yes it is wise to always wear some form of eye protection at all times, same as seal belt fastened on a plane at all times

but in real word I think many - myself included have not always followed all safety aspects 101% and could of in extreme rare cases caused damage

As more "idiots" discover airsoft and it grows the chances will increase - yeah suppose sites/players will be extra vigilant for a little while

but this incident could be repeated one day and that is not going to be good for poor victim - screw the sport safety crusade

That could be my eye or my kids eye - f*ck the airsoft image

Yes some eye-pro on at all times does seem wise - anything is better than nothing

I just didn't fully understand how it could happen - but I guess I foolishly thought all players took safety seriously

Which I still is the case but many of us have made the odd boo-boo or mistake if we are honest but thankfully no harm, but no excuse all the same

Human error can still happen and think I will be looking at some safety specs now - even though now n then I don't always wear them when I'm doing stuff like DIY etc.....

soz not getting on my high horse - but I will climb down from my little pony and get some specs instead

• Supporters

Few knee jerk reactions on this but lets get things into perspective.

Every week there are severe accidents in this country in a range of sporting/hobbie/game activities but this is the first major one in airsoft I have heard of so I would say airsoft has a good track record. This will only cause issues if people start shouting about it and trying to take the moral high ground.

Glasses in the safe zone is a bit too much but the sock idea isn't a bad one.

Cheap to implement and easy to enforce and is already done in some places abroad.

Accidents happen and will always happen if people act stupid.

• Supporters

Few knee jerk reactions on this but lets get things into perspective.

Every week there are severe accidents in this country in a range of sporting/hobbie/game activities but this is the first major one in airsoft I have heard of so I would say airsoft has a good track record. This will only cause issues if people start shouting about it and trying to take the moral high ground.

Glasses in the safe zone is a bit too much but the sock idea isn't a bad one.

Cheap to implement and easy to enforce and is already done in some places abroad.

Accidents happen and will always happen if people act stupid.

I don't think anyone's suggesting glasses in the safe zone be compulsory, that'd be a proper pain in the ass for sites to administer.

I can certainly recommend wearing some comfortable low profile eye protection in the safe zone though, better safe than sorry!

• Head Moderator

Maybe the kid or his parents could sue the site for negligence but forget massive amounts of money though I'm sure injury laywers 4 you but we will take 40% of your settlement will do their utmost to screw everyone over

If anybody was running a site, wouldn't they be seriously reviewing their safety issues after this ???

Absolute Airsoft - "We are fully insured and are a UKARA registered site. All of our sites have some of the best facilities you will find in a woodland site making your gaming day a lot more pleasurable. All staff are friendly and professional and have over 40 years of airsoft experience."

I have signed a liabilty waiver at several sites but cannot remember what the waiver does and does not cover. Suppose it depnds on where the negligence lies and how much each party is at fault.

I would rather there wasnt a blanket rule for eyepro enforced as a glasses wearer it can get pretty uncomfortable to be in eye pro all day. The entire game is about respect for the rules (calling hits, minimum safe distance, wearing eyepro in the field, no dry firing in the safe zone, not being a knob, etc.) It would be a real shame if some blanket ban or rules come into play when enforcing the current rules well would suffice.

I would rather there wasnt a blanket rule for eyepro enforced as a glasses wearer it can get pretty uncomfortable to be in eye pro all day. The entire game is about respect for the rules (calling hits, minimum safe distance, wearing eyepro in the field, no dry firing in the safe zone, not being a knob, etc.) It would be a real shame if some blanket ban or rules come into play when enforcing the current rules well would suffice.

To be fair, we've not actually any evidence that the gun was dry fired (a deliberate and voluntary act) we only know that I gun was discharged while pointed at another persons face, in a safe zone.

Being a springer, I suppose its possible it went off on its own, or was knocked during handling(?).

Archived