Word of warning - serious eye wound in safe zone

rosco290
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I visited one site for a Halloween game last year. The marshalls were good but just because there was no roof on the safe zone, people were dry firing so I'm glad I put on face protection as I got hit on the mesh mask

That's the only site I've been to where no one had said no firing in the safe zone

I sincerely hope the kid will be ok but I doubt the outcome will be good :( as for young kids messing around, not all parents play the sport but my boys & many others are well guided by myself & others so unless someone who plays chaperones them & rules get tightened at that site, then sadly it will continue to go downhill

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true. it raises a lot of questions. Should the sites be over 16, or over 18 only. Should sites have to go through some sort of testing or meet a certain standard before they can let young people play? Accidents happen, its the nature of any sport, especially one where you are shooting things at each other. In this particular scenario the guy who got shot should have cleared his rifle properly before taking it into the safe zone and the other one should never have pulled the trigger aiming at someone in the safe zone but like I say the relaxed attitude filters down to the young lot who might not be as switched on as some of the older guys.

In my experience, it's not necessarily younger players; but less experienced players. I've seen guys who are old enough to know better, doing stupid things in Airsoft because it's "just a game" and they don't realise how serious (or dangerous) it can be - just as much as seeing younger (but experienced) players being careful of these things.

I think a lot of it comes down to the marshals being switched on to what's going on at the sites, giving thorough safety briefings and explaining why these things need to be adhered to.

I'm not saying that accidents don't/won't happen - but there's always measures that can be taken to limit the chances are.

• Head Moderator

Is this the same Absolute Airsoft in this review ? http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/25019-absolute-airsoft-reading-review/?hl=absolute

Edit: Absolute have a site in Reading and one in Maidenhead.

• Supporters

A terrible way to learn a lesson....

The poor victim - jeez so cruel to learn such a hard way. I will admit I have walked into Epsom Tunnels with mag still in

I could say coz the safe zone was an area of the maze, or didn't know the site properly but no I was an idiot full stop

The Marshal was straight on me - so though Epsom got some stick about lack of chrono they head Marshal was right on the ball

The site - They might have been relaxed - they might have known the hire guns were below the limit, or most 2-tones were lower fps

Just coz they didn't fully chrono every gun doesn't mean they are completely reckless - careless or forgetful perhaps

but like I said Epsom had a bit of name of hot guns but the guy was like a hawk watching people entering the safe zone

They probably had reminded players to empty mag & clear guns etc.... but alas it didn't work for the poor victim to follow these instructions

Before anyone rips me a new one - every gun should be chrono'd you silly duck

What I mean - if it was chrono'd or not - a 350 or 250fps JBBG would of still done a similar amount of damage is what I meant

I'm not defending the site - but would like to point out that hand on heart I'm sure many on here have come near to bad mishaps

probably not always following full health n safety to the letter but alas the site has got into the limelight for all wrong reasons

They can't all patrol safe zone 101% - maybe no guns or restrict guns in safe zone - I know paintball sites make you hang up the hire guns

as you exit the game area, hard to implement but perhaps a consideration to avoid/reduce the chance of it happening again ???

I dunno but the site may have failed to carry out proper checks thoroughly so will get blame as it happened and therefore they responsible

Even with a waiver - they could of - should of been supervising health n safety more thoroughly

The stupid dumb ar$e kid that fired weapon - He has gotta live with this stupid - utterly stupid mistake but should be banned from any site

Whoooaaahhh - bit harsh - uhm no - you DONT POINT A GUN AT SOMEBODY FFS - PERIOD

I thought, I assumed is how all major f*ck ups are attempted to be justified that people have f*cked up but not wanting to accept responsibility

The foolish victim has learnt a very cruel harsh lesson and quite likely won't want to go near or play airsoft again so the other kid shouldn't either

And I wouldn't wanna stand next to the shooter hoping he has learnt a tragic lesson or not

I'm not getting on my morale high horse - I really wish I wasn't reading and typing this crap

There are 3 stupid parties here and all played a part in this tragic accident

Maybe the age needs to raise to 16 or heck even 18 as you have to be 18 to purchase a 2-tone IF

I hope not coz younger players are good for the sport and tbh provide steady income for sites too

Alas - I just wish it never happened but think we all need to remind ourselves of safety and be a bit more alert to other players around us even more now

None of this crap is going to matter to the poor (dumb) victim, lapsed site's safety checks, stupid - f*cking stupid shooter

I'm not blaming any one person in all this - they are all to blame but what a harsh tragic lesson to learn

Hope the victim can lead a normal life with only one eye at full vision :( so very sad

This is horrible.

Such sites should be named and shamed - and IMHO - if they are chronically unsafe, reported to the HSE/Councils and hopefully shut down.

Maybe it is time that there should be an ISO style minimum safety standard sites could/(should be required to) aspire to?

Good thing there was someone (albeit a player, not a marshal) who was there quick enough to help.

Goes to show that even in that 'Safe' Zone, eye pro is a good idea. I know a few people who wear Shooting Glasses in the SZ. After this I'm thinking it'a good idea to do the same.

All it takes is one accident.

Hope there's no permanent damage to the poor kid.

Bookmarked this post.

I feel really bad for the kid. Hope he recovers from this ok.

All things considered, i'd feel worse for the guy holding the gun, at the short range we're discussing, with a 450 fps gun, he had to have been pointing it exactly where it went, furthermore, he didnt follow "gun's always loaded unless you actually see that it isnt", guy could need a lot of counselling if he's older than 14.

I really don't think its got anything to do with age, its just down to lapsed safety checks & idiocy.

Automatically banning kids under a certain ages just because one kid is being a knob is a knee jerk reaction that makes us no better than people who would ban all combat sport because they don't understand it. If some chav points a GBB pistol at a police officer this forum is full of messages saying "You cant ban this sport just because that kid acts like an arse" but here we are saying the exact same thing.

Its a horrible thing to happen to anybody but banning an age group just because of the actions of one kid is just daft. the correct safety checks should be there to stop this stuff from happening, by the looks of things this was going to happen either way, its just a shame it did. but to react with banning sound like an unfair witch hunt by people who really should know better.

From a perspective of a parent, I really hope the kid is ok. Its horrible for everyone involved

***added the last bit because i hit the mouse with my elbow and posted by mistake***

Terrible for all the people involved. I wear full face and goggles when playing, but I always wear ESS glasses when in the safe zone.

Back in my paintball days, everyone coming back into the safezones had to have a barrel plug and/or barrel condom on their marker. When I started airsofting, I noticed that there isn't really an equivalent and dropping out the mag on the way in leaves a bb in the barrel. I think nearly everywhere I've played there are usually marshals on the way back in shouting to remove mags and fire a couple of shots to clear the gun. But I've always figured that with that many people wandering back in, someone would at some point make an honest mistake and that an accident could happen.

Let's hope he makes a quick recovery!

We should be equally concerned for the mental health of the person that was holding the gun (whether they pull the trigger or not). Improperly handled incident's like this can lead to suicide, and that's worse than ocular impairment. Just look at the recent news case where a girl accused a boy of rape, and the school spoke to him about it instead of the police, and he hanged himself, despite for all appearances in the media that rape had not occurred.

This is true. it raises a lot of questions. Should the sites be over 16, or over 18 only.

I take my daughter to every game and she is now 13. She would be gutted if the age limit was raised and she couldn't go. Especially as some of the worst behaviour I have seen comes from older people messing about with their mates. Indeed the only people I have seen being thrown off site have been middle aged men.

However, before we went to any games I ran my daughter through basic firearms safety, showing her how to safely handle an AEG. This was because I was surprised when I first went on my own that there was no practical demonstrations only a verbal safety brief. It is something she has remembered.

As a hobby that regularly comes under attack from those that don't understand it, I always wonder why some sites are run so poorly. Basic stuff like first aid seems to be hit and miss and there is no appetite for showing / training new gamers on how to handle weapons safely. Inexperienced gamers can turn up, rent an AEG firing at 350FPS and are pretty much left to get on with it. Used incorrectly at the wrong time and they can cause massive injury like this. Sad really.

I hope all those involved are OK and top marks to the OP for helping out.

CBH

The site - They might have been relaxed - they might have known the hire guns were below the limit, or most 2-tones were lower fps

Just coz they didn't fully chrono every gun doesn't mean they are completely reckless -

The stupid dumb ar$e kid that fired weapon - He has gotta live with this stupid - utterly stupid mistake but should be banned from any site

Whoooaaahhh - bit harsh - uhm no - you DONT POINT A GUN AT SOMEBODY FFS - PERIOD

I thought, I assumed is how all major f*ck ups are attempted to be justified that people have f*cked up but not wanting to accept responsibility

The foolish victim has learnt a very cruel harsh lesson and quite likely won't want to go near or play airsoft again so the other kid shouldn't either

And I wouldn't wanna stand next to the shooter hoping he has learnt a tragic lesson or not

I'm not getting on my morale high horse - I really wish I wasn't reading and typing this crap

There are 3 stupid parties here and all played a part in this tragic accident

I agree, chrono'd or not, even about 150 fps at that range would probably have had a pretty bad outcome. I was just trying to set out how I felt about the place from that start. One of the first regulars I spoke to quite happily told me, 'They don't chrono here, they say they do random tests through the day but I've never seen it happen'.

I spoke with the kid that fired the weapon for quite a while after the incident while my mate was dealing with the victim. One of those things where young kids (we're talking maybe 12 years old at the most) weren't properly supervised and some poor sod has to deal with the consequences.

I agree that it took 3 sets of people failing to do what they should (or shouldn't) have done. I wonder how much longer this site will operate for and how it will impact their business? Does anyone regulate sites to make sure the people operating them are safe to do so or can anyone just buy/rent some land and crack on with it?

I take my daughter to every game and she is now 13. She would be gutted if the age limit was raised and she couldn't go. Especially as some of the worst behaviour I have seen comes from older people messing about with their mates. Indeed the only people I have seen being thrown off site have been middle aged men.

However, before we went to any games I ran my daughter through basic firearms safety, showing her how to safely handle an AEG. This was because I was surprised when I first went on my own that there was no practical demonstrations only a verbal safety brief. It is something she has remembered.

As a hobby that regularly comes under attack from those that don't understand it, I always wonder why some sites are run so poorly. Basic stuff like first aid seems to be hit and miss and there is no appetite for showing / training new gamers on how to handle weapons safely. Inexperienced gamers can turn up, rent an AEG firing at 350FPS and are pretty much left to get on with it. Used incorrectly at the wrong time and they can cause massive injury like this. Sad really.

I hope all those involved are OK and top marks to the OP for helping out.

CBH

I wouldn't like to see kids banned, proper supervision and intstruction is the way to go. My nephew is very keen to get involved, his dad is ex forces as am I so weapon safety is rooted pretty deep and being passed on to him. By posting that I wasn't saying it was my opinion but I wouldn't mind betting its what some people would want. But then if it was two adults this had happened with surely they wouldn't say 'Ban all adults from airsoft....kids only'

• Supporters

Not saying ban kids either, seen plenty of 18+ dicks

and like I said I have silly mistakes - though not so serious thankfully

All the same I know I'm not perfect - far from it

Maybe safe zones should be gun free zones might help reduce the chance of this ever happening again

or a gun zone to store/leave guns - all guns as a buffer zone between game & safe zone

Gun Zone could be an expanded chrono area - masks worn at all times type of thing

if guns are kept away from safe zone then people can dry fire all they want but with masks on etc....

Only time a gun comes into safe area & lobby area is in a bag - no exceptions

I say this coz even with a gun zone you can bet somebody will carry an AK or M4 to their car and " oops " shoots a car or somebody

we can't completely eliminate stuff like this happening but think as it grows and more dumb ar$es (including myself)

more dumb ar$es take up airsoft - then the risks will increase I'm afraid

How easy the "Gun Zone" is to implement remains but think any player or site wanting to help the sport become safer would not mind too much

Alas too late in this instance, but hopefully we can all learn from this terrible unfortunate event

Thats a good idea. Wouldn't be too difficult to implement at most sites.

I think the site handing out (ballistic) safety goggles for use in the safe zone, for a £5 deposit, to be returned later would be better. For one thing, if your gun is out of your sight for too long, how can you be sure it's still safe.

This really... When I first started out I had no clue, relied on my mates showing me the ropes and using common sense to work out decent safe zone etiquette and the fact we started out at sites with smallish safe zones so the marshals are watching you even there shouting "no dry firing" and being around for advice and chats etc...

Now as we venture further and wider I have seen varying degrees of what I feel is good (or bad) housekeeping and H&S. A lot of outdoor sites just leave you to it in the safe zone. Theres no one watching you empty mags, no one asking you not to test fire weapons and totally no signage.

So I can see why accidents happen with inexperienced players.

I think sites should only allow first time players if they are chaperoned or adopted for the day by a regular or two. This would give someone with potentially no clue a good starting point and someone to show them the ropes and tell them not to be a dick!!..

I am not sure on the extra zone for leaving weapons. I see plenty of people (myself included) tinkering with stuff in the safe zone. a lot of sites dont even have a decent safe zone, lack of tables, chairs, toilets etc.. so an extra area might be pushing it.

I think as long as sites are on the ball with making sure mags are out and weapons have been dry fired before entering and there are marshals around and decent signage around reminding people it would help. They do this at 'most' of my regular sites so cant be too difficult.

As mentioned though its a personal discipline thing too though. If you do not really appreciate the potential to hurt someone with an airsoft weapon and wave it around and aim at people and no one tells you its not a sensible move then this will happen again. I think sites and players both have a joint responsibility and something like a membership and induction at sites would help to eliminate this. If you had to sign up to a site to gain UKARA (and when hiring a AEG a decent thorough induction is provided) and be inducted in safe use and potential harm then it would help to eliminate silly buggers of any age.

I think the site handing out (ballistic) safety goggles for use in the safe zone, for a £5 deposit, to be returned later would be better. For one thing, if your gun is out of your sight for too long, how can you be sure it's still safe.

Yes - good idea.

But for no charge - faffing with refunds at the end of the day would be a pain at some sites. Just do like iMax, have a bin full of them at the entrance to the site, on your way out, chuck them in. Even if a few are lost every game, bulk safe (if not stylish eye protection) is cheap enough and a very low expense for a site to incur vs. the prospect of a hefty HSE/court fine, not to mention the reputation damage after a kid loses an eye there or the like.

I should say though that this approach should only ever compliment the strictest enforcement of other safety rules, it shouldn't lead to their being diluted.

I seem to remember, when I first started playing, looking at the local-ish sites and found one in Maidenhead. I decided not to give it my patronage as on the website they had a full album of photos cataloguing (and laughing at) the various airsoft injuries people incurred.

Looks like I might have been right to avoid them.

• Supporters

Eye pro is fine and all in the safezone, but sometimes I quite like taking it off at lunch. plus, I still don't want hitting in my teeth in the safezone.

What is required is BRIGHTLY coloured muzzle socks, clip/secure over the muzzle on the gun and nothing is coming out. Brightly coloured so you can see it easily

• Supporters

I always try to encourage people do what I do. Put on the safety glasses first thing in the morning on site, and don't take it off until the car left the site. There are always some idiots firing their guns no matter which site. Yes, everyone should clear their gun entering the safe zone but that's something I can't control. I can however, protect myself.

I'm keeping tabs on that thread on FB. Mark the owner has appeared and said he spoke to the father last night and they're awaiting an operation to remove the bb from the eye. They're also discussing barrel socks too as an option.

Archived