Word of warning - serious eye wound in safe zone

rosco290
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Myself and a few mates decided to try out a new site today (I'm not going to say where, the reason will become obvious and to some people so will the site).

It was pretty good, but right from the off I was noticing a lot of differences from our regular site. Nobody's weapons were chrono'd before the start, the only ones that were, were people interested in seeing what they were pushing out.

There was a lot of dry firing going on in the safe zone. I didn't once hear a marshal say anything about this, even when someone popped off a few during the safety brief. In general although a lot of the marshals seemed on the ball they had a general lack of control over the whole day.

Towards the middle of the afternoon while we were getting kitted up to head out again there was a scream followed by this young lad staggering across the safe zone holding his eye. He'd been shot in the eye pretty much point blank with a 450 fps sniper rifle. The staff were very slow to react, they just weren't prepared for this sort of thing. In fact the only first aid kit I saw came from one of the lads playing. In the end the guy with the injury was taken out by air ambulance, while a few people carried on playing but most were packing up or helping out with the situation.

I've got so much I could say about what went on today but instead I'll say this. Make sure you know your weapons are unloaded before you enter the safe zone. Don't fuck about dry firing in the safe zone.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sort of shit is what gives the sport a bad name and draws unwanted attention. All mags should be put of the weapon before entering safe zone and barrel cleared. Sounds like a shocking site.

Absolutely mate. Mags were checked most of the time but wouldn't of been hard to wander past in a group and still have the mag on.

I was one of the first ones over to him along with my mate. It didn't look good. Would like to see what's been said on Facebook but can't find anything at the moment. What group is it on?

One of the dodgy things about running pistol only (you'll usually have a bb loaded unless you fire off a whole mag and a bit)

But no excuse for not dropping your mag out before entering any safe area rendering the round in the chamber useless without propellant

I marshal a couple of sites and NO ONE enters a safe area without clearing weapons and dropping mags, horrible to hear about this kind of thing happening, do hope the lads alright and if anyone finds out to post in here for those of us that avoid FB whinge pages

But no excuse for not dropping your mag out before entering any safe area rendering the round in the chamber useless without propellant

I marshal a couple of sites and NO ONE enters a safe area without clearing weapons and dropping mags, horrible to hear about this kind of thing happening, do hope the lads alright and if anyone finds out to post in here for those of us that avoid FB whinge pages

Always take out the mag and put the gun down until I take it into the game no mag in until I get into the game zone

Most of the people I've seen on sites are pretty safety conscious and wouldnot walk into a safe zone with a mag on. From what I could gather speaking to the lad that pulled the trigger it was a spring powered rifle so mag was off, one still in the chamber ready to go. It was actually the lad who got shots gun. The other guy was going to borrow it and whether they were messing about or not I don't know but he fired it at the guy. They were both under 16 playing with 2 tones. Thats where I would say the marshals pretty relaxed attitude to things played a part. Some of these kids don't think about things and need to have it drummed into them about firing in safe zones, clearing weapons etc

(I'm not going to say where, the reason will become obvious and to some people so will the site).

Why don't you want to mention the site?

I don't get this either, seeing how anyone planing to go to said site is risking their eyes/teeth.

• Supporters

lt was called Maidenhead or something if memory serves from the Fb hype l've seen regarding it.

Air ambulance wasn't the first on scene. There was a single paramedic on site first. As the it looks like the site has already been mentioned on Facebook I'll confirm it was absolute airsoft, Maidenhead.

Horrible to hear such a story. Every site I have ever played has always been very safety concious when it comes to eye pro/safe zone. It's stupidity and carelessness like this that will end up ruining our sport for everyone. Hope the Guy's not permanently damaged. Although buy the sound of the circumstances don't sound good.

Good thing there was someone (albeit a player, not a marshal) who was there quick enough to help.

Goes to show that even in that 'Safe' Zone, eye pro is a good idea. I know a few people who wear Shooting Glasses in the SZ. After this I'm thinking it'a good idea to do the same.

All it takes is one accident.

Hope there's no permanent damage to the poor kid.

It's stupidity and carelessness like this that will end up ruining our sport for everyone.

This is true. it raises a lot of questions. Should the sites be over 16, or over 18 only. Should sites have to go through some sort of testing or meet a certain standard before they can let young people play? Accidents happen, its the nature of any sport, especially one where you are shooting things at each other. In this particular scenario the guy who got shot should have cleared his rifle properly before taking it into the safe zone and the other one should never have pulled the trigger aiming at someone in the safe zone but like I say the relaxed attitude filters down to the young lot who might not be as switched on as some of the older guys.

Archived