First Gun

Connieboy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

Just in the process of working towards my UKARA Registration and have started looking at a first time gun.

I started with the ARES AM08, really liked the look of it but read some negative points on forums about the internals, so then read about the G&G Combat Machine AEG CM16 SR-XL, which I've heard are a good solid starting point.

Then I spoke to a local airsoft shop who said ICS are a good starting platform. so I thought i would post and hopefully hear some advice from people who use the guns.

so any pros/cons about the 3 guns would be great.

Thanks

Con

Well, I couldn't say specifics since I've never handled any of them, But I've had Glowing recommendations of G&G CM's. From what I've seen ICS Are also very good though, But more pro guns than starters. Depends how much your willing to spend, Airsoft isn't something you can do on a Budget. (I'm hoping to get a AMG Sten Mk.II, then an ICS L85A2 Carbine)

First rule: Everybody is biased. Trust no one individual. Many retailers are heavily biased.

Ive never had an ICS so Im heavily biased against them, but I've handled a couple and not been overly impressed.

I have a lot of G&G and have been impressed, so I would recommend their starter gun range.

I wouldnt recommend ARES based on what Ive read on this forum.

Read the comments on here - there are some good newbie articles and once you have a gun in mind, watch all the You Tube reviews on it. YT has taught me some interesting things about airsoft rifles I was considering.

Hi all

Just in the process of working towards my UKARA Registration and have started looking at a first time gun.

I started with the ARES AM08, really liked the look of it but read some negative points on forums about the internals, so then read about the G&G Combat Machine AEG CM16 SR-XL, which I've heard are a good solid starting point.

Then I spoke to a local airsoft shop who said ICS are a good starting platform. so I thought i would post and hopefully hear some advice from people who use the guns.

so any pros/cons about the 3 guns would be great.

Thanks

Con

First rule: Everybody is biased. Trust no one individual. Many retailers are heavily biased.

Ive never had an ICS so Im heavily biased against them, but I've handled a couple and not been overly impressed.

I have a lot of G&G and have been impressed, so I would recommend their starter gun range.

I wouldnt recommend ARES based on what Ive read on this forum.

Read the comments on here - there are some good newbie articles and once you have a gun in mind, watch all the You Tube reviews on it. YT has taught me some interesting things about airsoft rifles I was considering.

Yeah, Videos are your friend, Never buy a gun you haven't seen in action.

And my whole opinion on ICS Is based on one video, so Don't trust me :P

(The Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RdSzRCeqXM&index=11&list=PLIOKEwUpTbjq_eBjiOc65q-NjqGIosoI2 )

Thanks, I agree about you tube, I have watched loads of videos about guns etc, my budget will be about £200/250 and I hope that I can get an extra mag, battery and charger with that as well, also the site that I have been going to states FPS 345 for AEG guns, I think the G&G comes about 330 FPS would this be okay,I don't know how good this is but hope its better than a few hire guns I have used that seem to be under powered compared to most..or could this be Modded to 345 FPS?

Thanks, I agree about you tube, I have watched loads of videos about guns etc, my budget will be about £200/250 and I hope that I can get an extra mag, battery and charger with that as well, also the site that I have been going to states FPS 345 for AEG guns, I think the G&G comes about 330 FPS would this be okay,I don't know how good this is but hope its better than a few hire guns I have used that seem to be under powered compared to most..or could this be Modded to 345 FPS?

Never heard of 345 before, where's that?

I have only personal experience with G&G and CYMA, but if your budget is that high, might want to squeeze for a gun with a quick change spring.

For the most part FPS limits are for health and safety not targets :). As long as your gun takes your desired weight (0.20g to 0.33g) at 270 FPS, just forget about it. I think people spend more time trying to reduce FPS than increase it.

Never heard of 345 before, where's that?

I have only personal experience with G&G and CYMA, but if your budget is that high, might want to squeeze for a gun with a quick change spring.

For the most part FPS limits are for health and safety not targets :). As long as your gun takes your desired weight (0.20g to 0.33g) at 270 FPS, just forget about it. I think people spend more time trying to reduce FPS than increase it.

Sorry I meant mod the FPS to Match the site Limits

They are all 6mm size and the weight varies from 0.2g upwards. I tend to use .2 and .25g in assault rifles. Make of rifle is not relevant.

The hop is a tip of rubber that protrudes down into the path of the BB as it is propelled out. This creates a spin which affects the trajectory. If you adjust the amount of protrusion (hop) optimally, you will get the longest range before the BB drops. Most rifles, you have a little wheel under the ejector port cover whuch allows you to adjust the amount of hop to be applied.

The other thing to consider is that the very basic G&G rifles are polymer plastic although its very good quality. The rifles are substantially lighter than the real thing which might lack realism but is a blessing when you have to carry it around all day. Personally Im a masochist so like heavy, metal rifles. The main diffrentiator for me is that the bolt catch doesnt work on the cheaper models.

On dearer rifles, the mechanism locks back on the last round and you have to change mags, release the bolt catch and let the bolt return home (which would chamber the first round on a fresh mag) on the real thing.

Although these are all toy guns, some work more realistically than others.

I also like the blowback action available on some makes as you get some feedback when firing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.