Tightbore benefit for a smaller barrel length?

Twice19

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

As mentioned several times recently, I'm a tech novice so don't have much of a clue about things like this.

I've seen a lot of debate about Barrel Length affecting accuracy.

(Don't groan...it's not that again).

I'm keeping my M4 as a stubby, as I much prefer a shorter, more mobile, "CQB Gun"...but I (will be) playing in woodland/FIBUA so I'm looking to upgrade to get a little more range, accuracy and tighter groupings. Already sorting a new Hop Up setup, so no need to worry bout that.

I currently have a 160mm inner barrel - the longest I can go is 200mm before it pokes out the end.

With such a short barrel; is there any benefit to getting a tightbore? Or will there be no real effect, even with the ~40mm extra?

Thinking of going for a 6.03 if it's worthwhile.

Anyone have any experience on this?

Guest PT247

don't worry about tightbore.... worry about barrel quality. A high quality barrel will do far more than a low quality TBB.

What is your current FPS and what are the site limits? if close then I'd not go much tighter as it'll up your FPS. If you can afford it get a PDI 6.05 200mm barrel, otherwise try a Prometheus 6.03 185mm

• Root Admin

Barrel length doesn't matter*; the finish and - to some degree - bore does. Prometheus, ORGA, PDI etc. - they're all good makes. PDI I still feel make the best out there, but Prometheus are excellent too.

You'll see a difference between a good brand of barrel over many stock ones. You may get a very slight boost to your muzzle energy but at that length with an AEG it probably won't be a whole lot. You do need to put time into your hop unit and bucking, R-hop or flat hop or whatever because that's going to matter far more for accuracy.

*For accuracy

PT247:

Currently running at ~300fps and the limit is 350.

So I've got plenty of playing room.

The current barrel is a JG Standard, so probably pretty pants quality.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get looking around for the ones you mentioned :-)

Edit: Just had a small heart attack at the price of the PDI Barrel. I know why you said "If you can afford it".

Prometheus it is :-)

Profrink:

Looking into getting a decent hop set up. Prometheus rubber, might get a whole new unit too as I'm going to have to butcher my old TM hop otherwise. It's a 2piece hop unit, so makes things a little more interesting.

Thanks guys :-)

It might be worthwhile looking on X-Fire for a Pdi barrel.

I ordered a 205mm 6.05 with two PDI buckings and it came out at about £40 in total or thereabouts; a bit cheaper than just a UK based Prometheus barrel alone would have been: and that's shipped from Japan!

.20 Excel at the moment.

But once all that's gone I was planning to go .25 and maybe a better brand.

I can get a bit trigger happy and burn through a bag in no time!

Thanks, Hudson. Well worth a look.

Most of the front end is an integrated silencer (not even threaded, held by friction inside the RIS, so I can get a little wiggle room of 5/10mm or so.

• Root Admin

.20 Excel at the moment.

But once all that's gone I was planning to go .25 and maybe a better brand.

Go to .28s or even .30s if your hop can do it. Learn not to spam the trigger :) There are definetly better brands out there than Excel - I'd change this immediately really because it's a quick way to get much better performance. .20s are always naff.

X-Fire has free shipping right now but you will absolutely end up paying VAT and a service charge if the total comes to £12 or more, so be wary.

Just checked: It was ¥6684 in total, so just under £42!

Service charge and VAT means you can expect to maybe pay £13 ontop of that though.

Go to .28s or even .30s if your hop can do it. Learn not to spam the trigger :) There are definetly better brands out there than Excel - I'd change this immediately really because it's a quick way to get much better performance. .20s are always naff.

I've always played with .2 Exel so never really knew any different. Heard recently about the benefit of heavier ammo, but I always assumed it was more of a benefit for DMR/Snipers etc.

I'll def check it out.

I haven't played in 7yrs and thing seem to have come a long way since I was a regular; so I'm having to re-learn everything now!

Indeed! I think the small size of the parcel *might* have helped possibly.

The shipping was ¥1500, or just over £9 so even if they do sting you you'll only be out by about £4/5 now they have free shipping. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'll invest in some .28 first and see how they perform.

Then upgrade the barrel etc next.

Prof, you said "it your hop can handle it"? Is there issues with heavier ammo damaging hops?

Awesome. Thanks Prof 😃

I think I have some serious spending to do soon.

Looking into some .25/.28 at the moment. Typical that my usual retailers seems to stock Excel as a standard.

Bastard are pretty good, aren't they?

• Root Admin

Looking into some .25/.28 at the moment. Typical that my usual retailers seems to stock Excel as a standard.

Bastard are pretty good, aren't they?

Bastards are good but expensive. If you're trigger happy then perhaps the G&G or ASG ones would be better.

Also the Bastards are kinda hard to get a hold of these days.

Bastards are good but expensive. If you're trigger happy then perhaps the G&G or ASG ones would be better.

Also the Bastards are kinda hard to get a hold of these days.

I'm not particularly trigger happy, but always willing to save a few pennies (Cheapsoft all the way!)

Saw some G&G ones going cheaper than what I used to pay for Excel.

Thanks!

Guest PT247

I'm not particularly trigger happy, but always willing to save a few pennies (Cheapsoft all the way!)

lol :D

I meant I can get trigger happy to burn through all the .20 I have now - so I don't waste it.

But normally I'm pretty good. I'm that guy who always carries 12 mags but only uses 2. But I have to have the spares.....just incase!

I realise it was a contradiction though. That's me all over.lol.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.