Little Help with Market Research

AIRSOFTS70

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

Maybe a few relevant details would help. Where are you planning opening this site? Is this arena going to be an indoor venue or open air? CQB?

Regarding Question 4- How far would you travel to play airsoft?

Is this one way or return trip? I have no sites under 20 miles, for a good one I will do 250 mile round trip.

Regarding Question 6 - How much are you typically willing to pay for 120 minutes of airsoft?

Answer nothing, unless I can get actual gameplay of 3+ hours in an evening or 6+ hours for a day then I am not interested in travelling to a site.

Regarding Question 8 - Would you consider using airsoft for a team building or party experience?

Are you including a private game day/night for airsofters to have a forum meeting?

If you are serious about a opening a new site, then it would be worth reading this thread about market research and forum views: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/29709-hertfordshire-potential-new-site-market-research/?hl=hertfordshire

And this thread about Whitechapel: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/29856-blitz-cqb-whitechapel-airbourne-airsoft/page-3?hl=heart#entry230894

I doubt you'll find any airsofter that won't agree that £5 per hour, excluding game and safety briefings is expensive. You should change your game time question to 240. I can't see how any of the questions other than six (I agree with jedi, nothing) could possibly give you any useful data.

As for reserving places, just do email, and don't bother asking or catering for alternatives, don't use social media, it's amateurish and appears lazy. On question 5, public transport links or affordably ferrying to those links is important to me, and would make a huge difference. I've I identified 8 airsoft sites I can get to within 4km on public transport, but which I cannot reach without taxis - which are always too expensive. For that question (5) you should be asking "what makes you return to sites" - but if you don't know already, can't see a quiz helping you. :P

Edited by Sacarathe

You bring up some relevant points Jedi Master, I am pretty new to market research in this area so your comments are really appreciated. I will look through the links you have provided and re-evaluate some aspects of the questionnaire. Thank you for your input.

sorry, CQB- close quarter battle

• Head Moderator

sorry, CQB- close quarter battle

Yes, I should have expanded the abbreviation CQB to Close Quarter Battle. Which is what an indoor site would provide.

Not being funny but there have been a number of survey bollox lately....

Now the OP may be genuine

BUT I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU READ

http://www.infosecisland.com/documentview/20594-A-Quick-Look-at-Spear-Phishing-via-SurveyMonkey.html

In that regard, this forum's tendency to shorten URLs makes us all vulnerable.

Surveys can be useful gathering tools, but other than those by PHD students every other online survey for the purposes of genuine research, rather than polling a question to a select community has been a waste of my time just by the way the questions are written, the one by the OP is no exception, almost all the questions are useless, even question 6 shows a clear disconnect between the author and the airsoft community.

When making a survey the first order of business should be "how can I make a survey work for me?" not "and my questions will be".

Examples:

It's been my experience that 4% or less of airsoft players are female, so why bother asking?

Airsoft players go from age 13 and up, and over age 50 under age 70 is not unusual yet the author apparently does not know this, don't give away your own ineptitude in your questions by making basic assumptions poorly.

For airsoft sites, question 5 here. Its location location location, and that's of the venue, and of the venue in of itself. The mall for example is a good location, and it's in a good location (next to a large rail hub).

Any site can be a good site, the players and the staff making it a good site, neither of these can be improved based on a poll so i'm glad you didn't include those as options, but as your Q5 answers were not alphabetical this betrays the authors processes AGAIN.

For question 4, use "up to".

Yes Sacarathe, perhaps a survey (this survey) was not the best way to attain the information I was after. However the information I have gained though the comments on here has helped so thank you.

Hello Sitting Duck, I can assure you this is not scam of any kind, I just genuinely want to find out some information on preferences. surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MKP8KJM is the full URL if this helps.

Aengus - I'm sorry about the age range thing - I think its safe to say survey making is not a strong point of mine

Yes Sacarathe, perhaps a survey (this survey) was not the best way to attain the information I was after. However the information I have gained though the comments on here has helped so thank you.

Hello Sitting Duck, I can assure you this is not scam of any kind, I just genuinely want to find out some information on preferences. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MKP8KJM is the full URL if this helps. - sorry just realised I cant put it on.

Aengus - I'm sorry about the age range thing - I think its safe to say survey making is not a strong point of mine

I don't mean to chew on you specifically, it's just that surveys are soo often underutilised and if you say nothing people will continue to draw conclusions off bad data.

You cannot make bad data good after the fact, and even with lots of respondents, bad questions can spoil all the results.

If you think you can run a business you can spend 2 hours on survey psychology. :)

I don't mean to chew on you specifically, it's just that surveys are soo often underutilised and if you say nothing people will continue to draw conclusions off bad data.

You cannot make bad data good after the fact, and even with lots of respondents, bad questions can spoil all the results.

If you think you can run a business you can spend 2 hours on survey psychology. :)

Interestingly enough I have a BSc in psychology, however psychological research analysis is a completely different ball game. Thank you for all your input I rather naively thought I would be able to carryout this type of research without too much prior knowledge in this research field.

You know your stuff - there's no denying that.

Interestingly enough I have a BSc in psychology, however psychological research analysis is a completely different ball game. Thank you for all your input I rather naively thought I would be able to carryout this type of research without too much prior knowledge in this research field.

You know your stuff - there's no denying that.

Nice, well to be fair, I just used "psychology" as a substitute for a more meaningful explanation or elaboration on what I referred to. Nevertheless, you always get a survey proofed by a few people before letting them loose on the world, nothing is worse than having to retract one and ask the existing respondents to re-do it.

It doesn't hurt to answer your own survey 10+ times yourself using RNG and see if you get usable data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_methodology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questionnaire_construction

In that regard, this forum's tendency to shorten URLs makes us all vulnerable.

Surveys can be useful gathering tools, but other than those by PHD students every other online survey for the purposes of genuine research, rather than polling a question to a select community has been a waste of my time just by the way the questions are written, the one by the OP is no exception, almost all the questions are useless, even question 6 shows a clear disconnect between the author and the airsoft community.

When making a survey the first order of business should be "how can I make a survey work for me?" not "and my questions will be".

Examples:

It's been my experience that 4% or less of airsoft players are female, so why bother asking?

Airsoft players go from age 13 and up, and over age 50 under age 70 is not unusual yet the author apparently does not know this, don't give away your own ineptitude in your questions by making basic assumptions poorly.

For airsoft sites, question 5 here. Its location location location, and that's of the venue, and of the venue in of itself. The mall for example is a good location, and it's in a good location (next to a large rail hub).

Any site can be a good site, the players and the staff making it a good site, neither of these can be improved based on a poll so i'm glad you didn't include those as options, but as your Q5 answers were not alphabetical this betrays the authors processes AGAIN.

For question 4, use "up to".

Considering the male or female question, I have no doubt that your correct in your findings of only around 4% use but I just wanted data to reflect this.

Regarding the age question I did not want to use participants under the age of 18 on my survey - just due to using demographic total income only over the age of 18.

I do agree that a survey doesn't answer in detail many of the questions here I was just after some quick quantitative research.

I totally agree on the wording though I could have worded things better and will review.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.