Shooting Glasses

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive got a pair of Bolle x1000 goggles but quite like the convenience and air circulation of ballistic shooting glasses.

Normally use Revision Sawfly's, but was a bit surprised when a bb came from behind, got caught by the "wings" on the edge of the lens and ended up inside under my eye.

No harm done but was a bit concerned at the vulnerability.

Intrigued, I got a childrens birthday cake candle which is about the same diameter as a bb and by prodding around at the edge of the specs when on my face, tested the directional vulnerability of the Sawflys. Quite disturbing.

Ive since tried ESS Ice, ESS Crosshair and have finally bought myself a pair of Revision Stingerhawks which I saw at the Security & Policing Show down at Farnborough earlier in the week.

The Stingers are probably the least "gappy" of all of the ones that Ive tested. The Crosshair is probably the worst for airsoft.

Good info 😃

I used to play in Guarder shooting glasses, but I never thought about the possibility of BB's skimming in the sides. I had a look at them after reading this and they're terrible! Loads of gaps which could be an issue.

Fortunately, I never had an accident....and after playing a lot more CQB I ended up going Full Face all the way 😃

Although, with the Stingers being the "least gappy", is there still a (possible) issue with them?

• Supporters

The Stingers are probably the least "gappy" of all of the ones that Ive tested. The Crosshair is probably the worst for MY FACE.

Fixed that for you, I wear ESS Crossbow glasses (same shape as crosshairs, just with a better coating on the lenses) and they fit my face fine with no gap bigger than 4mm anywhere.

Thats fair comment. Obviously my observations are related to my experimentations which are with my face. Different face shapes may well get different results.

My point is that there are gaps and its worth players spending the time to see if their choice of gigs are optimised for them. Ive also noticed that it makes a huge difference between whether you wear the retaining strap or not.

Ive taken photos of the different profiles for comparison and posted them up on a parallel thread on the Milsim UK News and Events group on FB.

Im happiest with the Stingers; there is a gap if I wiggle the candle in but its a very small risk with a naturally flying BB.

I'm prepared to take the risk with the Stingers, will think twice about the Sawflys and risk assess the situation/game but I wouldnt wear the Cross'.

Although, with the Stingers being the "least gappy", is there still a (possible) issue with them?

I have a set of sawfly's for okto, because the games are a lot less all angles than your typical skirmish and the players are often pretty experienced and sensible with their fire. But in a skirmish its full seal for me regardless. But it does make me a little nervous as I know those wings are going to catch BBs coming from the rear, although its going to be a very small window given the boonie as well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.